Tom Wilson late hit on Mark Jankowski

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I've slowed it down to get an even better look, and it just seems later and later the slower I play it back.
True. But it’s important to recognize that Wilson had to make this decision in real time and had a fraction of a second to do so. That whole sequence happens very fast and doesn’t afford the opportunity to review in slow motion.

For players that finish every check, they’re going to get it wrong sometimes. The intent was clearly to finish with a clean shoulder-to-chest body check and eliminate player from the play.

That wasn’t a predatory, he was a half second late. That’s all.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
The problem with this is on its own, you’re right. 2 minute interference/late hit and that’s it. But when you have the track record of predatory plays Wilson has, and you watch him stare down Jankowski through the hit and not let up(and that’s the issue I have with this, is that he has an opportunity to let up on the hit and doesn’t) this play gets bucketed into his entire history of complete disregard for other hockey players’ safety. And that’s why when someone tries to say Wilson’s really a great guy off the ice, I have to ask how great a person he can be if he’s constantly trying to injure guys on the ice.

Why should he let up exactly? He lined up a hit with no head contact and was a tad late probably thinking the other player would hit the puck down and get possession. If someone did that to Wilson I'd say yeah man keep your head up.

Reactions: Another AZ

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Jankowski never even had control of the puck. Wilson was only looking for a vulnerable player to injure.

This stuff is always so silly. Firstly you don't know a player's intention. And two, I assure you if Wilson's goal was "put the guy down" he certainly could have done far more damage. If his goal was injure this player, he jumps into it with a flying elbow.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
True. But it’s important to recognize that Wilson had to make this decision in real time and had a fraction of a second to do so. That whole sequence happens very fast and doesn’t afford the opportunity to review in slow motion.

For players that finish every check, they’re going to get it wrong sometimes. The intent was clearly to finish with a clean shoulder-to-chest body check and eliminate player from the play.

That wasn’t a predatory, he was a half second late. That’s all.
I don't want to speak for Anglesmith too much but I believe he was intending to slyly make the point that this is only borderline late outside slomo.

Reactions: Anglesmith

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
"Clean, just playing the man, Wilson would never hurt a fly"

A pointless hit thrown by a human-potato hybrid.

That is a bullshit hit, head hunting. Wilson knows that full well. Long after the puck is gone he hits him anyway.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Would be a good, clean hit if Jankowski would have the puck. Now its late and predatory against an opponent who isnt expecting it. Theese hits should always get a 5+ game suspension. Its hits like theese that have no part in the game. The only purpose of the hit is to hurt and could result in serious injury. It also has nothing to do with the gameplay...

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Would be a good, clean hit if Jankowski would have the puck. Now its late and predatory against an opponent who isnt expecting it. Theese hits should always get a 5+ game suspension. Its hits like theese that have no part in the game. The only purpose of the hit is to hurt and could result in serious injury. It also has nothing to do with the gameplay...
Yeah, that's what's so bad about this hit: it serves no hockey purpose and was just Wilson deciding he wanted to crush someone.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn

Every hit is supposed to hurt the opponent am I missing something?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Every hit is supposed to hurt the opponent am I missing something?

This is hockey - not UFC. You are probably missing the part that you are not supposed to hit a player without the puck? You know, in hockey you are supposed to move a black thing called puck with sticks and try to shoot it into a net. Preferrable the opponents net. If you dont have the black thing, the opponents shouldnt be hitting you. It is a rule in this. A rule means something like: This you can do and this you cannot!

Capiche?

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
This is hockey - not UFC. You are probably missing the part that you are not supposed to hit a player without the puck? You know, in hockey you are supposed to move a black thing called puck with sticks and try to shoot it into a net. Preferrable the opponents net. If you dont have the black thing, the opponents shouldnt be hitting you. It is a rule in this. A rule means something like: This you can do and this you cannot!

Capiche?

You must then be aware a player is still considered as having possession by the rules for a brief period after passing? It was a bit late after he whacked it, nothing more. 100% penalty deserved, move on. If I'm trying to teach kids about hits that we need to take out of the game, a million will come up before this one with flying elbows and left skates etc.

Reactions: Another AZ

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
You must then be aware a player is still considered as having possession by the rules for a brief period after passing? It was a bit late after he whacked it, nothing more. 100% penalty deserved, move on. If I'm trying to teach kids about hits that we need to take out of the game, a million will come up before this one with flying elbows and left skates etc.
It wasn't "a bit late." It was blatantly late to the point where there was no hockey reason to make the hit. It was simply Wilson wanting to hit someone, whether they were eligible to be hit or not.

Reactions: jonlin

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
According to HF, Wilson hits years after puck left Jankowski.
The most plausible theory I've heard so far for some of these reactions.

Wilson and Jankowski are the same age and grew up an hour apart
Wilson lined up for a hit on Jankowski in, say, Atom
This is the conclusion of that hit

Now it all makes sense.

Reactions: Makar Goes Fast

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
It wasn't "a bit late." It was blatantly late to the point where there was no hockey reason to make the hit. It was simply Wilson wanting to hit someone, whether they were eligible to be hit or not.
The usual NHL standard for late is above 0.6 seconds. This was about 0.75. Let's no go crazy here.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019

Capiche?

You're absolutely right. You're not supposed to hit a player that doesn't have the puck. In fact, its against the rules and is grounds for an interference penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad