Tom Wilson hit on Sundqvist | Suspended 20 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Damn right. REAL MEN love guys getting their brains turned into gravy because some scrub can't control himself on the ice.

I prefer hockey when they just let the players hit each other in the head with sticks. If I can't tell that a guy has suffered some real severe brain damage, I just don't enjoy myself.

So you must have HATED watching Scott Stevens hit right? I somehow doubt it

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
If this hit was in a vacuum, where Wilson had no priors, he might have gotten 3 games max. But the fact that he's been suspended 4 times in 105 games just goes to show that Wilson doesn't think when he's out there. He needs to smarten up, or he'll find himself riding a bus in the minors next season.

Next suspension will be 41 games, Torres style.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Domi gets a 5 pre-season game suspension for a sucker punch to the head of someone with a concussion history, but Wilson gets 20 regular season games? Pffft

Apparently Parros has had to many hits to the head himself!

Oh and i am NOT a Caps fan by any means.

Wilson gets 20 games, not due specifically to this incident, but the accumulation of incidents. This is Wilson's sixth punishment, fines and suspension from DoPs, plus a number of hearings where he wasn't suspended or fined..... This is Domi's first suspension....

Penalties get harsher, for repeat offenders.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As an aside, I actually have season tickets, so my dollars go to these salaries.

And I want high hits taken out of the game as much as possible. The NFL has gone that route and made it very painful with suspensions and fines to try and lower the hitting to the chest down.

I see no reason why the NHL can not do so as well, by making fines and suspensions far more common until players learn to aim lower if at all possible. It certainly does not add to my enjoyment of the game to see a guy unconscious on the ice, which happens way too often. That is NOT what I go to the games to see.

If that makes me some kind of a wuss I will wear the title gladly.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I keep listening to the video explaining the suspension. Somehow I must keep missing the part where he's supposed to say "Sundqvist bears some responsibility" "I can't tell if the head was the main point of contact" "I think his head injury was caused when he hit the ice" "The visor did it" "It was unavoidable" "Sundqvist's head was hit but he got the shoulder first" "Clean hit"

NoVaCapsFan

Apr 19, 2017
I had predicted ten games. Twenty is excessive.
That said, as long as the Caps make the playoffs, it won't matter.
Just gives younger guys a chance to step up so we can see who's ready to contribute.
Caps had all kinds of injuries / missed time last year and I think it helped the group in the long run.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Is understanding that Wilson got as many games as he did as he is a repeat offended that difficult?
Well when the NHL's goal is to reduce concussions any hit to the head should be penalized severely. Domi's hit could of caused severe injuries to Ekblad and he was slapped on the wrist. I'm not saying Wilson doesn't deserve a suspension but the parity on what they deem as predatory regardless of the output should be penalized the same. Then add on for a repeat offender status. However 5 games for Domi is a farce and the league completely downplayed the severity by issuing 5 pre-season games as a suspension. Fans and players want parity in the NHL and sending these two mixed judgements is not accomplishing that.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Yes that appears to be the case.

And I don't have the data in front of me, but Wilson went 16 games between suspensions.

Unsure how many games Torres went. So you might be able to argue Wilson got off LIGHTER than Raffi if he went longer between incidents.

I'm guessing it's almost easier for the DOPS to decipher appropriate discipline on repeat offenders vs first time offenders. I think that's where the "inconsistency" trope comes into the collective subconscious of hockey fans. Lots of inconsistency in terms of "is this a suspend-able hit?"

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
So you must have HATED watching Scott Stevens hit right? I somehow doubt it
Rules have changed homie. Adapt or move on.

Since your pleasure seems to be in irreversible brain damage and screaming about how hockey is soft because trash cans aren't allowed to just end people's careers without a second though, you may need to move on as well. I don't think the game is for you anymore. It's for real men that understand these are human beings that have families and lives to live after hockey.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Domi gets a 5 pre-season game suspension for a sucker punch to the head of someone with a concussion history, but Wilson gets 20 regular season games? Pffft

Apparently Parros has had to many hits to the head himself!

Oh and i am NOT a Caps fan by any means.
Are you suggesting that they should take into consideration who is getting hit when giving suspensions?

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
As an aside, I actually have season tickets, so my dollars go to these salaries.

And I want high hits taken out of the game as much as possible. The NFL has gone that route and made it very painful with suspensions and fines to try and lower the hitting to the chest down.

I see no reason why the NHL can not do so as well, by making fines and suspensions far more common until players learn to aim lower if at all possible. It certainly does not add to my enjoyment of the game to see a guy unconscious on the ice, which happens way too often. That is NOT what I go to the games to see.

If that makes me some kind of a wuss I will wear the title gladly.

Right now it's illegal to hit someone in the head as the "principal point of contact", I think we'll reach a point pretty soon where any contact with the head on a hit is an automatic penalty. And you're right, the game will be better for it, nothing kills a game faster than seeing someone lie on the ice for 10 minutes with brain damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->