Tom Wilson dirty hit (Suspension incoming?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
because rather than send the message that players should be looking behind them while they're taking a shot on goal, the league should discourage head hunting morons like Wilson from huge blindside hits to the head of players in a vulnerable position
Players should keep their head up to prevent clean hits too.
He shouldn't be getting hit from that angle,
It's against the rules?

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Hard to see from that gif. Was it a head shot? or did he hit shoulder? Is there a better angle?

He launched up into a blindsiding hit, I can't say if the hit's point of contact was the head, but the hit itself wasn't legal with the delivery driving up towards the head with significant contact (even if not the initial point of contact). Plus, the agressive angle he takes to deliver the hit... Wilson is going to be missing several games for this, I just don't know if it'll be over or under 5 games.

To Wilson's benefit, it wasn't delivered egregiously late like his last hit resulting in a suspension.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I don't see a charge. He was gliding into it. It was a hard hit by a big and strong player.

But yeah. It's impossible to not make contact with head when you hit a guy like that. It's just the physics of skating with the puck; your head is leading the way. If someone drills you there, blow to head is 100% guaranteed. It's the first thing the hitter will contact.

Is a technically legal big hit with zero respect to fellow players illegal? That's the question NHL faces with Wilson, who is the last truly mean SOB in the NHL. His kind of players and these kind hits are a dying breed.
I think distance traveled with apparent intent to hit can still count as a charge, but I could be mistaken. He’s definitely gotten charging without taking a bunch of strides right before

Intent isn’t the main focus of their discipline though. It was a hit he didn’t need to make (not that any hit is) and he made contact with the head. Even if his intent wasn’t to hit the head, he hit a player skating with his head down. It’s stupid on that players part but still doesn’t justify hitting them

It’s a bit of a grey area. The exact same hit wouldn’t have been judged as hardly even after 2004

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Until the D.O.P.S start hitting these types hard, things will remain the same.
It really is scary to think what it will take to get to that point though.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Why shouldn't Wilson be a moron? Your question is a separate issue and a clear deflection to the main issue.

I should look both ways before crossing the street, even if I have the cross signal.

But if someone flies through and hits me, the fact that I "should have kept my head up" is meaningless and doesn't mitigate his culpabiltiy.

But in this case, "keep your head up" is just a buzz phrase from certain fans who like to pretend that they themselves are tough because they like to watch other tough people get their gray matter turned into cinnamon raisin oatmeal.

Talking tough and getting tingles in your leg when someone gets crushed doesn't actually make the guy in the reclining chair tough.

Please. I have my own concussion troubles and the issue is something I'm sensitive to, but it doesn't make all hits and injuries equal. Trying to walk into the high slot with your head down is suicide and it always has been.

Preserving some level of responsibility on behalf of the puck carrier is not exclusively the platform of bloodthirsty neanderthals.

Reactions: sabrebuild

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
You seem to be under the impression that you're allowed to just do that, and nobody can stop you. He should have been looking before the shot, when he cut to the center of the ice while staring at the puck. If he had been keeping his head up, he likely never takes the shot at all, and then he doesn't make himself vulnerable fractions of a second before being hit.

there's almost zero way he sees that hit, Wilson comes from behind. keep your head up is the absolute dumbest argument to a headhunting hit. there's a difference between being aware of your surroundings and having psychic precognition for some chud looking to cleave your head off.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
(some)Caps fans yesterday- "Wilson isn't dirty because none of his hits are premeditated.
(some)Caps fans today. "Payback for Kempny baby!"
The kept hit was not a purposeful hit. Kelly is small bortuzxo is tall. Kempy ducked a bit and borts elbow got him on the chin. Was it a bad hit yes was it like what Wilson just did he'll no

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Seriously though. At this point with how much information we have, I want every player to be safe. Even the Flyers/Caps/any rival we may have. I want them to have a life after hockey.

This dude is reckless as can be. It's unacceptable in every single way. It needs to end.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Ya probably a suspension, but like all of the camera angles I've seen are trash and don't really show anything

(Mod)
Are you crazy you see his head snap back it was also a late hit from blindside and the kids head was main point of contact. Wilson is trash.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
The kept hit was not a purposeful hit. Kelly is small bortuzxo is tall. Kempy ducked a bit and borts elbow got him on the chin. Was it a bad hit yes was it like what Wilson just did he'll no

They were both bad and unnecessary. Neither play should be defended. Wilson doesn't get an excuse for keeping his elbow tucked and Bort doesnt get an excuse for a flying elbow because the other guy was "short".

Reactions: Colt55

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
there's almost zero way he sees that hit, Wilson comes from behind. keep your head up is the absolute dumbest argument to a headhunting hit. there's a difference between being aware of your surroundings and having psychic precognition for some chud looking to cleave your head off.
That "psychic precognition" is called regular hockey sense, and if you're currently staring at the puck/ice after having just crossed the blue line it should be screaming at you that something is coming.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
not to mention, it's the friggin preseason, what the hell is on the line for you to make such a high-powered hit? can someone tell Wilson this isn't the only way he can put his money towards supporting the NHLPA?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Making a big hit is not against the rules.

Penalties are. He commits a ton of them. I believe I read a stat that since he's been in the NHL no player has gotten penalized more.

So um.. yeah clearly he either doesn't know the difference between "super physical" and dirty, or he doesn't care about the difference.

Your pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->