Tom Wilson appeal last 7 hours, Bettman to make ruling in a week. (upd: suspension upheld)

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016

the point is, it will likely be 3 weeks from when wilson appealed to when bettman makes a decision and thats even before an arbitrator. Im not understanding 1) why the appeal hearing was 2 weeks after he appealed and why bettman needs a week.

no one is saying the hit shouldnt be suspended, Im asking why is it taking so long to do the appeal process?

It takes so long because people have to fit it in their schedules and sometimes that takes time to sort out. No one is going to rearrange their work life for a person who broke the rules and got suspended. This is no different in any of business or sport.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Who all was there? Wilson and Bettman, obviously. Agent, NHLPA, DoPS?

The more parties, the more presentations and conversations, the more time consumed. That I understand.

Almost a week to make a decision? That makes no sense to me.
I dont know but the entire appeal process is a joke. It should go to a neutral arbitrator immediately.
There is nothing neutral about the process.

Reactions: Lurch

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
There is no incentive to prioritize his appeal or rush things along. If anything, they want to take as long as possible, so that regardless of how the arbitrator rules, the games are missed. If the NHL had their way, they would just make a judgement and that would be the end of it.

Reactions: DaveG

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
He's gonna get a reduced suspension, that's what I expect since the league is a joke. They're probably going to deduct 10 games or something from his current suspension.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
it just stinks of a
'hey, you're banned for 20 games!'
'oh, but that seems a lot?'
'tough'
'but i want to appeal, that seems too many games'
'yea, we'll get right on that'
'thanks'

*10 games later*

'any news?'
'nah, we still looking into it'
'ok, well let me know yea? only it's been a while'
'yeah leave it with us, we're on it'

*20 games later*
'hey, we thought about it, and yeah 20 games seems ok to us. And would you look at that? it's been that long already. Hey guys did you lose track of time too? crazy how that happens'

Simple school-ground delaying tactics fo-sho. Just burning time until most of the suspension is up anyways so it won't matter. No reason an appeal couldn't be sorted within like a day or two, max.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The entire arbitration and appeals process is broken.

First, the NHL has complete license to take as long as it wants to schedule appeals. The CBA includes no provisions for due process, so the commissioner can take as long as he/she wants to schedule the appeal hearing, and then as long as he/she wants to issue a ruling after hearing the appeal. It's designed to stretch the appeal so long that the team loses the player regardless of what the final ruling happens to be, in the end. The player may get his money back, but the team still loses the player indefinitely.

As far as the stages go, the first appeal has to go to the commissioner... who has absolutely no reason to ever go against his own office's DoPS. So why have this appeal at all? The reason is clearly to stretch this out. The only thing that this stage of the appeals process does is delay the inevitable appeal to the impartial third-party arbitrator. Which brings us to...

The NHL exclusively selects and hires and fires arbitrators. The NHLPA has no input whatsoever. This is unlike, say, jury selection for a trial. Where's the incentives structure there for arbitrator to rule in favor of the player? Arbitrators make good money for little work, but the strings are there.

This guy in place at present is a dead man walking, as he's already ticked off the league for reducing Watson's suspension. The NHL is going to fire him. Why? Did he fail in his job performance? Well sort of, in the eyes of the NHL office. He had the audacity to rule against them.

Either have a genuine appeals process or don't have one at all. This fig leaf system is just going to piss people off. The NHLPA is going to need to address appeals next go round. Fortunately, it's not going to be long before those talks begin.

Reactions: ellja3

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It takes so long because people have to fit it in their schedules and sometimes that takes time to sort out. No one is going to rearrange their work life for a person who broke the rules and got suspended. This is no different in any of business or sport.
Sort of, but Bettman was interviewed after the dust settled a bit on the Wideman situation, and kind of hinted at the fact that the drawn out appeal process may have been intentional to a certain degree. I don't think this is really a pure scheduling issue.

I wish I could find that interview. I think it was part of the interview after they fired Oldham.

EDIT: Bingo:

NHL dismisses neutral arbitrator from Dennis Wideman case - Sportsnet.ca

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Three suspensions ago, they started telling Wilson what he was doing wrong, yet he keeps getting suspended for the same hit. Maybe they are tired of dealing with him.
From what I have heard they didnt really give him a clear explanation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad