OT: Tom Servo's Annual All-Star Break(down) of other MB leagues to watch

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Hey everyone - If you're like me, and just can't scratch your hockey itch with the NHL All-Star Festivities, I'll give you a quick rundown of other leagues (that I am aware of) playing across the Province this week. IMO these organizations were pretty negatively affected by the NHL coming to Winnipeg, so they need all the support they can get. (I'll leave out the AHL, because I assume everyone is aware of them)

I spend most of my hockey watching hours in small-town rinks watching lower-level hockey for work, and it's really a great time. (I probably watch the most varied amount of hockey of anyone in the province, thinking about it, lol). I'm going to centre this around a potential fan in Winnipeg, because I assume if you live in a small town outside the perimeter, you already are taking in some other leagues.

Manitoba Junior Hockey League (Junior A):

Both Winnipeg franchises are hosting games on Saturday night, with the Winnipeg Blues hosting the OCN Blizzard and the Winnipeg Freeze hosting the Dauphin Kings at 7:30 at the Hockey For All Centre (formerly the IcePlex). While the Freeze and Blues are mired in awful seasons yet again, OCN and Dauphin are second and third in the western conference respectively, so if you head out Saturday night, you'll get a good show.

The Freeze completely changed tact this season, going with a major youth movement. They're not picking up the points, but they have a really young roster, which I have heard mixed things about.

If you're willing to take a trip outside the city, you can see games in Winkler and Steinbach (which is playing in La Broquerie this season) on Friday and Sunday. Those two are the best teams in the league this year - although I have not seen Virden yet, so take that opinion with a bit of a grain of salt.

Action this weekend should be pretty good, as the MJHL/SJHL showcase was this week in Winnipeg, so teams will be fresh and ready for a playoff push - Which will start in mid-March.

Schedule: MJHL | Official League Site

And I'll just say, if you're in Flin Flon and not trying to get out to every single Bomber game you can get to, you are MISSING OUT!

Manitoba Major Junior Hockey League (Junior B?):

While they're not exactly a true junior B league, but the MMJHL is probably the best junior hockey outside of the Wheat Kings and MJHL in Manitoba. The cool thing is pretty much every franchise is located inside Winnipeg, so if you're wanting to check out a game, it's probably inside the perimeter highway.

The marquee franchise as of late in this league has been the St James Canucks, which are building a mini-dynasty. They've lost less than 20 games over the last three regular seasons, winning the championship in 2022 and 2023. No surprise they lead the league standings. They'll host St Vital at the St James Civic Centre on Friday night, before heading out to take on Transcona Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m.

There are other big matchups this weekend, including a #2 vs #4 showdown in Charleswood as the Hawks look to make up ground on the red-hot Pembina Valley Twisters.

Schedule: MMJHL Schedule | Manitoba Major Junior Hockey League

Capital Region Junior Hockey League (Junior B):

If you're not framilar with (kinda) recent events in Junior B in Manitoba, there are two leagues now. The KJHL, which has all Northern MB teams, and the CRJHL which is pretty much southern MB teams.

I'm only going through the CRJHL, because I assume if you're in a KJHL community, you already know about your local team.

The CRJHL has a single Winnipeg franchise, for some reason called the North Winnipeg Satilites (yes it's spelled that way, no, I have no idea why). They will play a home game on Tuesday against Arborg, (which actually has my cousin as a player), in a key matchup for the bottom of the standings - but other than that it's all games outside the perimeter.

Second place St Malo takes on North Winnipeg on Saturday, with first place Selkirk taking on Beausejour Sunday afternoon.

Schedule: Capital Region Junior Hockey League (CRJHL)

Hanover-Tache Junior Hockey League (Junior C):

My absolute favourite league to watch - And This is the final weekend before playoffs begin. The HTJHL actually expanded to St Clements (East Selkirk) this season.

Steinbach is looking to lock up first place for the playoffs on Saturday when they host Niverville, Second place Springfield will be playing MacDonald on Saturday as well, with an outside shot at first place as well. The Xtreme play in Oakbank, which I believe is the closest venue to Winnipeg in the HTJHL.

Schedule: HTJHL - Hanover Tache Junior Hockey League

Senior Hockey:

The death of senior hockey in MB has been really sad to see, but there are still two leagues alive and kicking.

The SEMHL, the league I am familiar with, is also in their final weekend of play. no playoff seeding is locked up, but most of the teams are pretty far outside the perimeter.

I do want to highlight the Red River (3rd) vs Warren (2nd) match-up, which will have massive implications at the top of the league's standings, and will be in Warren tomorrow.

Schedule: SEMHL - Schedule

The other league is the Tiger Hills league, which I have no clue about, other than the fact Miniota/Elkhorn defeated Ste Anne in the provincial senior final last year:

Schedule: THHL - Schedule

Manitoba Bisons:

The (seventh in Canada West) men's team is hosting the MacEwan Griffins at the Wayne Fleming Arena on Friday and Saturday this weekend, while the (sixth in CW) women's team visits them.

Men's Hockey

Other Leagues round-up:

High School is pretty much done, as weekend games don't really happen. Playoffs are about to start soon though! There are three tiers in the Winnipeg league:

Winnipeg High School Hockey League : Website by RAMP InterActive

There's also a girls' league:

Manitoba Women's High School Hockey League : Website by RAMP InterActive

U18 AAA (male) My biggest regret this season is I haven't been out to see the U18 Brandon Wheat Kings, who are (no joke) 34-0-1 as I write this post.

Brandon is visiting the Winnipeg Thrashers at the Gateway Rec Centre on Saturday at 3:30 if anyone wants to check out one of the best teams in the province.

Manitoba U18 AAA Hockey League

U18 AAA (female) The top-seeded Winnipeg Avros (great team name) are in action at the Seven Oaks Arena on Saturday at 1 p.m.

MFHLU18AAA Winter 2023/2024 Schedule

Manitoba Women's Junior Hockey League is a league (unfortunately) with no teams in my coverage area. They also have their all-star game this weekend, at the Hockey For All Centre at 8 p.m. on Sunday. I actually might go check that out myself.

Manitoba Women's Junior Hockey League Winter 2023/2024 Schedule

There's also a bunch of other minor sports going on across MB, but I figured I'd stick to hockey on this forum. I'm going to implore everyone to check out some non-NHL action this weekend and support your local leagues!

EDIT: And if you're not in the Winnipeg area, please do some research and check out some sports in your local community. Buy some 50/50 tickets, cheer your heart out for the home squad - These teams need your support!

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Why are the Pistons not in Steinbach this year? Arena work?
Yup:

TL;DR: the new arena is being built on the old arena site - IIRC it was millions of dollars in savings to the municipality by doing it that way - The initial plans were to keep the Centennial open through construction though.

Last edited:

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
This is an awesome thread, Tom. I think you should update it periodically with news items and observations. Hollywood has Bisons and USports threads in the USports subforum which he fastidiously updates, and I started a MJHL thread in the Canadian Junior Hockey subforum which I post to sporadically. But having a catch-all thread relevant to Winnipeg specifically in this subforum is an awesome idea.

I really feel like amateur hockey in Winnipeg deserves more support than it gets. It's kind of sad that in a self-professed hockey town you have high-quality leagues like USports and MJHL playing to like 100 people. I have been to several MJHL games this season myself and one MMJHL game. Haven't made it out to see the Bisons because the schedule just hasn't worked (however I have seen lots of Bison basketball, haha). In the MJ I support the Blues and Freeze but this is clearly another writeoff of a season for both... hoping for better things to come as the teams mature, especially the Freeze.

Also as it relates to Bisons hockey, with the excitement over the PWHL I feel like the Bisons could remind people that we have our own high-level women's hockey team that people can support. The Bison women are doing well this season... I'm sure they'd appreciate some support.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad