Confirmed with Link: Tom Renney to Team Canada

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/07/red_wings_might_be_searching_f.html

The Detroit Red Wings' search for an assistant coach might be expanded to cover two openings.

Tom Renney is in the final stages of discussions with Hockey Canada about its vacant position as president and chief executive officer, a position formerly held by Bob Nicholson.

Look's like two new assistants for Babcock next year

7/14/14:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 50 s
Expect Tom Renney to be announced as Bob Nicholson's replacement as president of Hockey Canada as early as tomorrow. #TSN

Last edited by a moderator:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Could care less. It's been said that he's really good with young players. But with Clears in the room. He's not a big loss :)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The PP isn't going to change a bit. Renney drew up the Xs and Os, but Babcock told him how to run it. If Babcock wants a point shot and grinding it out, that's what he gets.

Renney's system in Edmonton where he had a top 5 PP consisted of a lot of movement and two players below the goal line. It was unique and was really tough on other teams in terms of they offered different looks you don't prepare for game in and game out. We even have the personnel to run this with the second unit and Smith being a very good guy at moving from the back-end something they did well in Edmonton to stress PKs. Guess what I haven't even seen it 5 on 3 where a lot of teams will then play below the line, that speaks to Babcock's control over the looks we are giving on the PP.

It doesn't resemble what Renney ran at all when he was a bench boss.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
It will be tough to find assistants with Babcock the lame duck by choice, and Blashill as the replacement in waiting. No assistant will sign on for the gig that could be a one and done with no chance at being the next in line.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I like Renney. People trying to blame the PP on him make my giggle. The kids will miss him if he goes too I bet.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
It will be tough to find assistants with Babcock the lame duck by choice, and Blashill as the replacement in waiting. No assistant will sign on for the gig that could be a one and done with no chance at being the next in line.

I doubt that. Babcock turns NHL assistants into NHL head coaches. Having just one year with Babcock on your resume is like gold for hockey coaches. Plus there's a chance he'll bring whoever he hires along with him should he move on next year.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Tony Granato has been interviewed, but is a hot name as he has other teams interested in him as well. Toronto had been amongst those interested teams, but filled their two spots elsewhere today.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Tony Granato has been interviewed, but is a hot name as he has other teams interested in him as well. Toronto had been amongst those interested teams, but filled their two spots elsewhere today.

Former Avs coach as a Red Wing assistant? The world would surely come to an end :)

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Thank the hockey gods. The PP might actually improve.

I know it was said in jest but it kinda got me thinking about our PP.

I think Wings have a systematic problem with PP setup. Wings need more movements from forward. Too stationary and easy to box out. Currently Wings are too dependant on playmakers to make it happen, we must make it easier for them to find guys sneaking behind or jumping in. We dont do that by 5 guys staying put just passing around the puck outside hoping pker makes a mental lapse getting caught watching the play.

or we could tee it up to a pointman if we had anyone capable of scoring from blueline.

anyway just a random rambling about PP passing through.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009

That would be interesting with his nephew battling for a roster spot.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 50 s
Expect Tom Renney to be announced as Bob Nicholson's replacement as president of Hockey Canada as early as tomorrow. #TSN

New PP strategy please! And hopefully better shot of Smith being on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad