Tom McCollum

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Do you see him with the Wings organization or on a Spc next year with the Griffins.

He's never gonna play with the wings again unless there's a boatload of injuries Or maybe they call him up if howie is injured. But I would rather see coreau for a game or two

PetrPumpknEatr

Mar 8, 2015
Do you see him with the Wings organization or on a Spc next year with the Griffins.

He's probably earned enough chits to stay with the Griffins for a couple of more years. But the goaltending situation now is 1) will Petr take over for good next year; 2) what to do with Howard... After that, 3) If they get rid of Howard, they likely sign another back up goalie; 4) Coreau will likely be the person they try to turn into an NHL goalie, given his record these past two years and size; then... 5) Paterson and other draftees; then... 6) McCollum.

As I wrote, he can likely drag it out another two years or so as these things above play themselves out. Then he might try another organization or play in Europe for a year or two. Then his professional career is over.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Career in Minor leagues. Assuming the wings are able to move Howard I think they will look for other options.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yes, I am sure. At least Emmerton made the NHL, playing over 100 games, which isn't terrible for a 2nd round pick. McCollum was a first round pick, which unless it's a Hasek level talent, you don't use a first rounder on a goalie.

Emmerton makes the roster because the roster was trash and there were more spots

Tommy M definitely isn't the worst pick. But he was that good either

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
McCollums numbers the past three AHL seasons put him in the company of some NHL backups. Additionally, it isn't completely unheard of for goalies to find a regular spot in the NHL in the later half of their 20's.

That being said, I can see McCollum maybe becoming #2/3 Joey MacDonald type goalie that's always on the bubble.

The only way I see him having a future with the Wings, is if they get rid of Howard and think Mrazek can start 65 or more games. McCollum gives them a cheap option to start a night here and there, a la Kevin Hodson with Osgood. A cheap stopgap before Coreau is ready, or they decide to bring in an experienced back up.

I was really surprised that McCollum didn't elect for Group V UFA status last summer and test the market for an opportunity to see NHL ice this season. Then again, he did technically climb the ladder in Detroit with Gustavsson gone and Mrazek moving up. Just looks like Coreau has stolen the #3 spot and would now get the call up if needed.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Yes, I am sure. At least Emmerton made the NHL, playing over 100 games, which isn't terrible for a 2nd round pick. McCollum was a first round pick, which unless it's a Hasek level talent, you don't use a first rounder on a goalie.

not to be nit picky but that is not entirely true Carey Price, MA Flurey were first rounders and they turned out ok. I don't think the teams thought they would be Hasek level that is a bit extreme. Goalies just have to be highly rated with a team in need that things they won't be around by their next pick. Vasalevsky was taken with the first rounder Holland spent on Quincey. He is turning out ok too

In retro spec it sucks especially with some pretty notable D that went after him.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
not to be nit picky but that is not entirely true Carey Price, MA Flurey were first rounders and they turned out ok. I don't think the teams thought they would be Hasek level that is a bit extreme. Goalies just have to be highly rated with a team in need that things they won't be around by their next pick. Vasalevsky was taken with the first rounder Holland spent on Quincey. He is turning out ok too

In retro spec it sucks especially with some pretty notable D that went after him.

I was using a bit of hyperbole, Price is a good example of a first round goalie. Flower has the talent but is a headcase. But anyway, goalies aren't smart in the first round because they are so hard to project, and take a long time to develop. He was the Wings' worst draft pick in recent memory.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Exactly. Better to learn it before he signs, it's a plus for the fans in the article saying..."(whoever) signs Tom McCollum".

I was saying I think he can land in the KHL, SEL or NLA (guess German would come in useful there) in terms of a higher league.

I mean some pretty mediocre AHL goalies have gotten gigs in Russia over the years. I think he is better than a couple of guys that have held that down.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I was saying I think he can land in the KHL, SEL or NLA (guess German would come in useful there) in terms of a higher league.

I mean some pretty mediocre AHL goalies have gotten gigs in Russia over the years. I think he is better than a couple of guys that have held that down.

Maybe, and yes he could.

Then again, he might sign in the AHL with a team.

Hopefully for him, he plays with the highest bidder.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
You guys are aware he was going to school to be a Dr right? He has always said when hockey was done he would go into medicine.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You guys are aware he was going to school to be a Dr right? He has always said when hockey was done he would go into medicine.

That was Pearce... McCollum is an OHL guy... Now maybe that is his plan, I don't know but he has zero college credit towards it, so good luck to the seven+ years to get that done.

By all accounts McCollum is an exceptional person. According to his teammates and anybody around the Griffins he is an easy guy to root for.

He has actually improved a lot. Unfortunately Coreau has already passed him right now.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
That was Pearce... McCollum is an OHL guy... Now maybe that is his plan, I don't know but he has zero college credit towards it, so good luck to the seven+ years to get that done.

By all accounts McCollum is an exceptional person. According to his teammates and anybody around the Griffins he is an easy guy to root for.

He has actually improved a lot. Unfortunately Coreau has already passed him right now.
Well I was way off oops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad