News Article: Tom Kurvers Passes Away

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
I remember the reports on Tom Kurvers during his very first training camp with the Habs.
In his very first pre-season game he made three incredible passes that resulted in clear cut breakaways. I believe the Habs scored on two of them to win it
A meanless game but his offensive ability was always underrated.
My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Kurvers - Chelios pairing looked so promising to become a dominant duo for a decade...then Kurvers suffered the eye injury and was never the same.

R.I.P

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Typical of hockey players, fine person, gutsy and willing to talk to lowliest of humanity with civility. A gem of a person, I trust, he is in a lovely place, with a great sheet of ice for him to play with all the other deserving greats who are there with him. Salut Tom, you will be missed.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I remember him well. He had a very good NHL career for a 7th round pick at the time. The first thing that comes to mind when I hear his name all these years later is for the trade from the Devils to the Leafs for a 1st round pick that ended up being Scott Niedermayer @ 3rd overall.

Sincere condolences to his family and friends. RIP..

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Always sad to hear news like this. Remember him with the Habs and liked his style,was bummed when he left the Habs. Not sure but thought he had a very serious eye injury when playing for the Habs, could be wrong though.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Sad to see someone pass away so young. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

RIP. You'll always be a Stanley Cup Champion. #1986#

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Believe it or not, I had his jersey when I was kid. I was going to a YMCA-type place on weekends where we would play various sports and the councellors there were teasing me, baffled as to why I had a Kurvers jersey. I don't know why I just gravitated to this guy. I liked his play, his name, his look, I really liked the duo with Chelios. Funny thing is, my real favorite player was Mats Naslund but I wanted a Kurvers jersey. lol Then later I learned how he was really a great guy and how he helped the growth of hockey in various places. That was great to hear. I had no idea he was ill until a few days ago.

RIP Tom Kurvers, thanks for the memories.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
His offensive stats are pretty good. Can you compare him to a current NHL player?

RIP.

LaFloater

Jan 23, 2014
Burlington
Kurvers was a player who punched over his weight. A great career for a guy picked in the 7th round. Its very unfortunate that he is known mainly as a footnote for that terrible Leaf trade in 90s. Very sad news indeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad