Confirmed with Link: Tom Kuhnhackl 1 year deal

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I see where you're coming from but Pittsburgh thought he was good enough to keep him around for two Cup runs and for a third season after that. Would they have won those cups whether Knuckles was there or not? Undoubtedly. But, he was on the squad vs. whatever other bottom six choices they could have made. That must mean something. And now the Isles brass have decided he should be on the roster vs. the other choices that they have and who are we to substitute our judgement for theirs?

There seems to be a misconception about my feelings in relation to Kuhnhackl.

My issue is people wanting to give him more minutes and responsibility because he got hot for a few games. I do not have a problem with him being on the roster. I've historically backed almost all of our 13th forwards because they're necessary depth to have when injuries strike or when a guy needs a break. Kuhnhackl is valuable in that role. He's not a top 6 guy, probably not even a top 9 guy, who can play night in and night out. With extra forwards you're pretty much just looking for a player that isn't going to hurt the team, and anything they contribute otherwise is a nice little bonus. That's Kuhnhackl, and we just got our bonus early in the season.

If Ladd is out for an extended period of time and the coaching staff wants a regular in the lineup, someone needs to be called up or they have to play Johnston (probably not) because Kuhnhackl isn't the guy we want doing that.

Reactions: Capt Obvious

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

My issue is people wanting to give him more minutes and responsibility because he got hot for a few games. I do not have a problem with him being on the roster. I've historically backed almost all of our 13th forwards because they're necessary depth to have when injuries strike or when a guy needs a break. Kuhnhackl is valuable in that role. He's not a top 6 guy, probably not even a top 9 guy, who can play night in and night out. With extra forwards you're pretty much just looking for a player that isn't going to hurt the team, and anything they contribute otherwise is a nice little bonus. That's Kuhnhackl, and we just got our bonus early in the season.

If Ladd is out for an extended period of time and the coaching staff wants a regular in the lineup, someone needs to be called up or they have to play Johnston (probably not) because Kuhnhackl isn't the guy we want doing that.
Kuhnachkl hasn't been given the chance during his career to prove where he fits full time. He scored two tough goals last night and almost had a hat trick. That's more production than Beauvillier has produced all season.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
He played 69 games last year for the powerhouse Penguins, he was able to contribute 8 total points. He's not good and shouldn't be given minutes. Enough with this.
Take a look at William Karlsson's numbers before he went to Vegas. Some players just need the right opportunity with the right team.

Reactions: ebergeist

ebergeist

Apr 29, 2018
Finnland
Isles have nothing to lose if they try Kühnhackl in the top lines, if he doesn‘t answer the call then put him back on the bottom lines. Hockey is simple, isn‘t it.

Reactions: dood

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Khunack in the top six? Yuck.

He’s a 13th fwd who can play on a checking line and grind some of the ugliest goals you’ll ever see.

But LL and Trotz love dem blue collar vets; after his two goal outing (and Ladds injury), I’m betting he plays quasi 2nd line mins.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Our top six to nine is not getting it done and LL is stubborn in his old ways not to call up JHS and MDC. Let's see how this goes.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Our top six to nine is not getting it done and LL is stubborn in his old ways not to call up JHS and MDC. Let's see how this goes.
MDC is finally starting to show something after 4 years of doing nothing. Leave him where he is. And where are we putting Ho-sang? Sitting Eberle or Bailey?

crasherino

May 9, 2013

For now, a Mooseknuckle - Val - Leo line isn't the worst thing in the world. For now. My guess is that Ladd is out tonight, Beau gets a stay of execution and goes back in the top 6 and we see Ross in the lineup.

But if Ladd's absence is measured in weeks, I suspect we'll see a call up at some point when the above lines slow down. Whether that's accompanied by Beau getting a BP stint is up to him.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
For now, a Mooseknuckle - Val - Leo line isn't the worst thing in the world. For now. My guess is that Ladd is out tonight, Beau gets a stay of execution and goes back in the top 6 and we see Ross in the lineup.

But if Ladd's absence is measured in weeks, I suspect we'll see a call up at some point when the above lines slow down. Whether that's accompanied by Beau getting a BP stint is up to him.
Agreed. Come on Tito, run with the opportunity. Put up some points.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If he stays with Flip and Leo for a bit, we'll have a third line made up of the three worst free agent signings of all time.

At least, according to the postings made here over the summer. :laugh:

Reactions: danteipp

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Take a look at William Karlsson's numbers before he went to Vegas. Some players just need the right opportunity with the right team.

He hasn't scored in any league ever. Even his years in junior is underwhelming. This guy isn't looking for the "right opportunity" because he's never done anything remotely close to what some of you are suggesting. He's just a plug in grinder. That's it. He's not some regular top 9 just because he scored some flukey goals.

Isles have nothing to lose if they try Kühnhackl in the top lines, if he doesn‘t answer the call then put him back on the bottom lines. Hockey is simple, isn‘t it.

Uh, they could lose the game(s) because they do that. So yes, they have something to lose. What is the point of putting him there? He isn't good enough, we know this. There has never been a time where he's been considered a scorer and has been consistent at it.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
So assuming we are still healthy when Kuhnhackl comes back in a few weeks or whenever he is ready what is the move? Our roster is currently full.

Does Otto go down until we can make a minor trade or an injury occurs? Do we put Kuhnhackl on waivers after a conditioning stint (given his price maybe he gets claimed)? Do we try to get Martin through on waivers since Johnston may be able to fill his role and having both of them in the lineup might not be the best option for us? (I certainly hope that it is not Martin as he is so important to the psyche of this team, and someone I hope is with the organization way after he retires). I haven't checked but assume Otto is the only one who doesn't need waivers, although we need a 4th center, I think this may be the short term move until a spot frees up again. Maybe there is a wildcard move that we dont see coming? Alternatively, if Otto plays well, even though he can play with some grit and help on the PK, I would have to pick waiving Kuhnackl but think Trotz likes him . in short IDK, any thoughts? (and yes a good problem to have, with NHL caliber player moves)

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So assuming we are still healthy when Kuhnhackl comes back in a few weeks or whenever he is ready what is the move? Our roster is currently full.

Does Otto go down until we can make a minor trade or an injury occurs? Do we put Kuhnhackl on waivers after a conditioning stint (given his price maybe he gets claimed)? Do we try to get Martin through on waivers since Johnston may be able to fill his role and having both of them in the lineup might not be the best option for us? (I certainly hope that it is not Martin as he is so important to the psyche of this team, and someone I hope is with the organization way after he retires). I haven't checked but assume Otto is the only one who doesn't need waivers, although we need a 4th center, I think this may be the short term move until a spot frees up again. Maybe there is a wildcard move that we dont see coming? Alternatively, if Otto plays well, even though he can play with some grit and help on the PK, I would have to pick waiving Kuhnackl but think Trotz likes him . in short IDK, any thoughts? (and yes a good problem to have, with NHL caliber player moves)
Waiving Kuhnhackl to send him down shouldn’t be an issue. If someone claims him so be it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I doubt they would waive Kuhnhackl, he's a Trotz safety blanket so he goes nowhere. Koivula is waiver exempt so he'll be sent back to the Bridge.
Koivula is going back because he’s not ready for the NHL yet. Kuhnhack would pass thru waivers again no problem if Lou ever chose to do that again.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Koivula is going back because he’s not ready for the NHL yet. Kuhnhack would pass thru waivers again no problem if Lou ever chose to do that again.

Kuhnhackl is only making $850K, I think it is likely he would be claimed at this point of the season. I agree with PW and think Otto is the most likely move unless he really wows. Koivula would then come back as soon as there is an injury or a trade. Kuhnhackl can be slotted in a few different places and is a fav of Trotz which is another reason they might keep him around

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Kuhnhackl is only making $850K, I think it is likely he would be claimed at this point of the season. I agree with PW and think Otto is the most likely move unless he really wows. Koivula would then come back as soon as there is an injury or a trade. Kuhnhackl can be slotted in a few different places and is a fav of Trotz which is another reason they might keep him around
I’m not saying whether Kuhnhackl should stay or go. I’m simply saying that like last year I think we could waive Kuhnhackl to send him down and nobody would claim him.

Reactions: 19 in a row

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Koivula hasn't proven he is anywhere near an NHL regular yet, so he's surely going down. To be honest I think Bardreau looked much better in the games he played. By the time Kuhnackl is back, somebody else will be injured so he can slide right back in if the need him

Reactions: MJF and Lek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad