Confirmed with Link: Tom Gilbert traded to Capitals for a Conditional 5th round pick

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Kings fan here. You guys will be pleased with Gilbert. He has not fallen off the map. He was very solid during his time here. What happened was he had a bad game I believe it was in December, and ever since then, Sutter has refused to play him. Also, around this time, two of our rookies, LaDue and Gravel, really stood out and it seems that management wants to let them play instead of a veteran.

I am actually disappointed we traded him because he would have been a good insurance policy if we sustained injuries on the blueline. He is still a good puck mover and plays the angles really well.

Thanks for the scouting report!

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
It's likely we never have to pay the 5th rounder.

So it's a waiver claim with LA eating some of the cap hit.

Also is the condition 50% of games through the second round or the entire playoffs?

Fondue

Apr 25, 2007
Brooklyn
Right handed puck mover? Seems like an insurance move against Carlson's injury to me.

For a relatively cheap price.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
I saw a ton of him when he was in Edmonton and he was really good then actually. It looks like he's gone downhill quite a bit but I think he's still got something in the tank. A really good, cheap depth move.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Better than our last two deadline deals for a depth D-man. Gleason was meh (lateral move from Hillen) and Weber was abysmal, maybe the reason we lost the Pens series. AND they both cost actual picks.

I think Gilbert can still be a serviceable replacement for injury playing bottom-pair minutes. And let's be honest, there's no way that condition will be met, because if Gilbert plays >50% of our playoff games, we're not getting past the second round.

Overall, probably GMBM's best deadline deal yet, though that's not saying much. Not expecting much more to come, unless they want a cheap depth forward in case Burakovsky is not himself and Sanford/Vrana are not quite ready to step in.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Think about the phone call that got this deal done. Unfortunate to think about but he could literally be traded for nothing. I hope more than anything though that the Kings have that 5th round pick since the Caps will hopefully get past the 2nd round

GMBM: Hey I want Gilbert, I will give you a 5th round pick if we win the Cup, if not you get nothing.

Kings: Ummmmm ok?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Better than our last two deadline deals for a depth D-man. Gleason was meh (lateral move from Hillen) and Weber was abysmal, maybe the reason we lost the Pens series. AND they both cost actual picks.

I think Gilbert can still be a serviceable replacement for injury playing bottom-pair minutes. And let's be honest, there's no way that condition will be met, because if Gilbert plays >50% of our playoff games, we're not getting past the second round.

Overall, probably GMBM's best deadline deal yet, though that's not saying much. Not expecting much more to come, unless they want a cheap depth forward in case Burakovsky is not himself and Sanford/Vrana are not quite ready to step in.

Just not even close to accurate. Kuznetsov, Johansson, the entire bottom 6, Orpik, Schmidt, Orlov, and arguably Holtby as well all were more to blame for losing that series than Weber.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
One day we are all going to look back on the one season we had all our top players in their prime. The year we won back to back Presidents trophjes.... the year we we're about to revamp our team because we were going to lose a lot of good talent to free agency due to the salary cap.... and know that Tom Gilbert was the big time move GMBM made to really push the Caps to the next level......

........ or something like that. :/

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Just not even close to accurate. Kuznetsov, Johansson, the entire bottom 6, Orpik, Schmidt, Orlov, and arguably Holtby as well all were more to blame for losing that series than Weber.

In the long run, of course. But the fact of the matter is that the entire complexion of the series changed when we lost that game in OT. Down 2-1 and in OT is vastly different than down 3-1.

And honestly there was no reason to take that comment so literal in the first place. It was obviously hyperbole and Weber was objectively terrible in that series, and the fact that we didn't have a capable depth D-man forced Alzner to play through injury to the point where he was useless when we needed him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

I will add in Orpik, but thanks for saving me the typing. I think he had 17 TOI the entire series.

Getting Gilbert was a no brainer move. I wonder if the plan was for Bowey to serve as our 8th D before getting injured.

Barry needs to assess injuries accurately this playoffs. He cannot go into deciding games with a top 4 on a blown wheel pretending like it's no big deal, especially vs a fast team. Chorney is the chosen 7 but think will have a short leash and Gilbert will be closing fast.

Gilberts highlights from this fall, he looks fine on the offensive side of things, certainly a leg up on Chorney.

Last edited:

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Honestly don't care about this move, good for Hershey I guess. But if we are in a position where we are playing Gilbert we're in trouble anyway

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We were in trouble without him just last year, and the 40 years before that. Orlov Schmidt Chorney Orpik and Alzner were a mess and we still made it to round 2 game 6.

Fact is we had no vet RD depth and now we do. Did he look bad in the twit link scoring plays he was a part of in November? Sure his play peaked and likely was beset by injuries, but I see him as a no brainer type of pickup. We can still turn to Djoos Ness or Lewington if needed and he cost us nothing. The kicker: the pickup does not mandate playing him and wrecking what we have going on.

I am surprised some are negative and think we are toast if he has to pitch hit for 7 games, in a system doubling up their opponents, with a Vezina backstop. I think we are in bigger trouble if we let guys play with one arm or on one leg.

I suspect he is already better than Chorney and likely a better fit than him in our system.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
We lost the series in G4. Letangless Pens were there to be beaten... and Caps were flat. It's not on Weber.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Were talking about a guy who played half a season last year and this year at 34 couldn't stay in the LA lineup. They gave him up for basically nothing when they trying to stay in the playoffs. If we lose top 4 guys and are playing with our 8th D, yes we are in trouble. Don't hate the deal, maybe he does take Chorneys spot at 7D. But if he gets in I fully expect it to be like watching Weber, and just praying he isn't that big a liability.

Also I would say we have plenty of veteran experience on the blue line, I don't think that is an issue.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Most teams don't want to see their 8th D dress. We're no different. Won't be hard for him to play better than Weber.

When do rosters expand for the playoffs?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Presidential grade depth on D of Chorney Djoos Lewington and Ness is uninspiring at best, and certainly thin with Chorney with 140 NHL games being the vet.

For some reason I trust the only LA fans that spoke up. Speculating it was a questionable move since he was their best #7 / insurance policy should they make a run. Others speculate he was done a favor by trading him perhaps evidenced by making a deal BMac couldn't resist. Other suggest that their GM is forcing the hand of the coach to make him play the kids more.

I wonder if he was a bad fit for their system in LA or maybe was in a pairing that just didn't click, or if the expectation on him was to score. In our grinding system, our top defensemen struggled to score.

Sure he has age and wear and tear working against him hence the almost free price. At least he wasnt in the AHL all year. Significant injuries to Orpik and Alzner last year were factors and the time to act was now.

Thanks Brian for tossing us a bone during vacation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->