TV: Tokyo Vice

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Not sure how many are watching this but I've been hooked big time the last month or two. Really interesting look into the Tokyo underworld that is based on a true story. I do find the main guy kind of annoying but he still manages to be sympathetic, which I think is exactly what they're going for. Lots of good characters with depth. Really well shot with lots of rich vibrant backdrops.

Season 2 wraps up tomorrow and for my money it was one of the better seasons of television in a while.
Season 1 was quality as well.

Reactions: DaveG

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I think it's great. I was holding off on season 2 until a bunch of episodes were out but started it last week. I'm going to watch episode 7 tonight. Completely agree with Jake being kind of annoying but still sympathetic and imo fairly likeable. But yeah lots of other great characters plus good acting and writing. I'm sure the subtitles scare some people off unfortunately.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Really liked Season One of this show, looking forward to the second.
Given the success of Shogun I think this show should be more popular. It is obviously set in a much different time period but it has the same "drop an intelligent but mostly ignorant Westerner into the middle of Japanese culture and politics and enjoy the ensuing chaos and fun" theme to it.

Full disclosure, I like a lot of Japanese stuff, so maybe I am more inclined to like this show than the typical viewer. Shogun is one of my favorite books. Ghost of Tsushima is one of the very best games ever made. 13 Assassins by Takeshi Miieki is sublime. Sushi. Sake. What else do you need?

Reactions: DaveG

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Finished season 2 last night and thought it excellent. I agree it started a bit slow but it really picked up as it went along. So is it done now though? Doesn't seem like there's much story left to be told.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Not sure how many are watching this but I've been hooked big time the last month or two. Really interesting look into the Tokyo underworld that is based on a true story. I do find the main guy kind of annoying but he still manages to be sympathetic, which I think is exactly what they're going for. Lots of good characters with depth. Really well shot with lots of rich vibrant backdrops.

Season 2 wraps up tomorrow and for my money it was one of the better seasons of television in a while.
Season 1 was quality as well.

Season 1 was fantastic. Slow start but then it really starts to pick up about 3-4 episodes in. I'm likely going to binge what's out for season 2 this weekend.

Haven't read his book yet but it's on my list to check out.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad