Toews with a hat-trick today for Canada!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Anyone think he has the potential to be labeled a franchise center by the time draft rolls around? He's got size(6'2"), wheels, captain material, gritty, and loads of offensive potential. Top 3 pick?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Canada shuts out the Swedes 4:0.

"Jonathan Toews, a Winnipeg native who will play for the University of North Dakota this fall, Zach Hamill of Port Coquitlam, B.C., (Everett, Wash., WHL), Cory Emmerton of St. Thomas, Ont., (Kingston, Ont., OHL) and Jordan Staal of Thunder Bay, Ont., (Peterborough, Ont., OHL) scored for Canada, which opened the tournament with a 5-3 win over Switzerland on Tuesday."

"We played better today than yesterday," said Canadian head coach Shawn Camp. "That's part of what it takes to win this tournament is that we have to continue to improve every game."

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/news_story.asp?id=133016

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Balej's Dance said:
Anyone think he has the potential to be labeled a franchise center by the time draft rolls around? He's got size(6'2"), wheels, captain material, gritty, and loads of offensive potential. Top 3 pick?

It's possible. I've been very high on him for two years, but nobody is quite sure where he fits in right now. Everyone knows he's got world class talent but next year will be his first season against good competition. He has all the tools so with a very good year at UND he could be a top 3 pick.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
ernesto said:
these are the 06 prospects i have seen play.
this is how i would rank them.
1 kessel
2 frolik
3 little
4 toews
5joensuu

Joensuu is falling fast and hard. I can't see him being in the top 10 anymore, there are several better prospect coming along.

turnbuckle*

I talked to some scouts last month who really really like Toews, and can see him ending up being the second overall selection in the draft. Frolik might have something to say about that mind you. Joensuu needs to pick it up; he disappointed many last year, and might end up not even being the top Finn selected. At least two or three Russians should be ranked in the first half of the first round, but concerns over contracts will hurt their rankings I think. Expect three or four Czechs to be considered in the top 15, along with several North American prospects like Sheppard, Staal, Mueller and Little, in addition to the above names and Kessel. At this point Kessel is a heavy favourite to go first overall.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Le Golie said:
It's possible. I've been very high on him for two years, but nobody is quite sure where he fits in right now. Everyone knows he's got world class talent but next year will be his first season against good competition. He has all the tools so with a very good year at UND he could be a top 3 pick.

It will be tough though because Toews will be coming into the NCAA as a 17 yr old, which very few players ever do and even fewer succeed! We all know Bertram played last year in the NCAA as a 17 yr old and I wouldn't say he helped his draft stock by doing it. He might have been better off playing in the BCHL or heck, with Colgiano in the OPJHL! Now if Toews has a big year in the NCAA coming up, things will be looking up for him fast, but we all should put things into perspective. I mean Kessel didn't even play in the NCAA last year at 17.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Doesn't Kessel turn 18 in October? Did you want him to join the NCAA at 16 last year? Kessel accerlated his studies. He should be HS senior this year.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
MN_Gopher said:
Doesn't Kessel turn 18 in October? Did you want him to join the NCAA at 16 last year? Kessel accerlated his studies. He should be HS senior this year.
Toews is big enough, strong enough, physical enough and good enough to play at the college level. It wouldn't suprise me if he had a Zach Parise type season.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:

Did you finish grade 3 math?

or perhaps you have no idea what a calendar is?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
Toews is big enough, strong enough, physical enough and good enough to play at the college level. It wouldn't suprise me if he had a Zach Parise type season.

Which year?

Btw....Parise didn't play college hockey at 17 either.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
ernesto said:
these are the 06 prospects i have seen play.
this is how i would rank them.
1 kessel
2 frolik
3 little
4 toews
5joensuu

Add Aurelio Lemm (SUI) to the top 15 in 2006. Currently tied for 1 st in scoring in the U18 Junior World Cup tourny. Look out Kessel. lol

Helmethead

Jun 2, 2002
Port Cockerton
Visit site
Le Golie said:
Joensuu is falling fast and hard. I can't see him being in the top 10 anymore, there are several better prospect coming along.

i agree when i saw him play he was nowhere near the caliber of the other guys i mentioned. i wouldn't be suprised to see him fall out of the first round he showed flashes of an eliete player but then he dissapered for the rest of the games.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
HabLover said:
Did you finish grade 3 math?

or perhaps you have no idea what a calendar is?

Hey poindexter. If he turns 18 in October of 2005. That makes him 17 right now. This time last year he would be 16. School starts in September. Making him 16 to start college. Like this year he will start at 17. What math system do you use?

And anybody IMO who plays NCAA at 17, is one hell of a player. And to do it at programs like NoDak is very telling of confidence and poise a young player must have.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
I've never seen Toews (or most of the guys mentioned here), but if he does in fact come on and challenge for a Top 3 spot, I wonder if we could have a Modano/Linden comparison with Kessel/Toews. Modano and Kessel flashy and electric, Linden and Toews classic physical two-way centermen.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:
Hey poindexter. If he turns 18 in October of 2005. That makes him 17 right now. This time last year he would be 16. School starts in September. Making him 16 to start college. Like this year he will start at 17. What math system do you use?

And anybody IMO who plays NCAA at 17, is one hell of a player. And to do it at programs like NoDak is very telling of confidence and poise a young player must have.

The problem is that Kessel is starting college @ U of Minn. this year, at 17. Not last year at 16. He'll be 18 in October.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
MN_Gopher said:
That's normal. Toews turns 18 in the following year, which means he is entering a year early, while Kessel is entering on time. It's not a slight against Kessel, just pointing out that Toews has his work cut out for him entering the NCAA a year earlier than normal, like Bertram did last year (and we know how that turned out). 17 year old doesn't really mean literally 17 years old, it typically means your 17 year old season, which for a 1988 born player is this season (like Toews), and for a 1987 player was last season (like Kessel).

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
It is tough to go by how old they were for the majority of the seasnon. Yes this was Kessel's 17 year old season. But when you throw in college and that most kids born after september first are tossed in next years group. Thats how most schools accept kids into first grade. The cut off is september first. Some petition in. Myself also born in October had to wait that next year around to start. So did Kessel i assume. So to me he is starting as a 17 year old and accelerated a year to play NCAA a year early for him.
Toews is an april B-day. Thats only six months. All my point was is that it is not a full year. People get caught up in what year you were born. Paying no attention to what part of the year it was.

Not trying to down play Toews. He is a great player and i wish the gophers had him.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
MN_Gopher said:
But when you throw in college and that most kids born after september first are tossed in next years group. Thats how most schools accept kids into first grade. The cut off is september first. Some petition in. Myself also born in October had to wait that next year around to start.
Really? I've never heard of this. Certainly in Canada this is not the case. That's probably where the confusion originated...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad