Toews vs. Malkin

Do Malkin and/or Toews belong on the Top 100 All-Time list? And if so, who belongs above who?

• Both Malkin and Toews belong on the list, but Toews is higher

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AngryPanda

Jun 24, 2010
I've been a lurker on HFBoards for years. After reading through the Malkin as the 3rd best player of this generation thread on main boards, I felt the need to create this poll. I am a life-long Rangers fan, but there is no way to deny the dominance of Crosby and Malkin throughout their careers. I have a feeling this poll will be lopsided, but lets see how it goes. Do either belong on the Top 100 All-Time list? And if so, who belongs above who?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Malkin was an egregious error, he's around top 30-40 all time. Toews would be on my top 500 players list but definitely not top 100.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I like Toews. Maybe not a top-100 player ever but Top-500 is a massive and ridiculous understatement.

He was just as if not more important than Keith and Kane to the Blackhawks.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Malkin is top 50 imo. And could climb more before he retires. Toews idk, tough player to place imo.

Reactions: KIRK

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Malkin absolutely should be on the list (though, I don't consider it a prestigious list by any means as in the voting options listed above). Toews, at best, is on the border. But with so many players that could/should crack the top 100, I'd have him on the outside looking in. They just happened to make the list at the same time the NHL was trying to shove Toews down our throats. Recency bias.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is Bergeron a Top 100 player of all time? Kopitar? How about Rod Brind'Amour? Toews being named in the Top 100 was silly then, and it's looking even sillier now with his steep decline.

Malkin is, and was, the right choice.

Reactions: User9992

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Malkin is top 50ish, while Toews is probably top 200. But Toews isn't even the worst player on the list so I don't know why he's the one always criticized. Mike Gartner, Bob Gainey, and Joe Nieuwendyk have no business on that list either.

Reactions: User9992

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
That's fine, but I completely disagree.

Which of the following is he better than?

Gretzky
Howe
Lemieux
Jagr
Crosby
Ovechkin
Richard
Beliveau
Morenz
Messier
Esposito
Clarke
Mikita
Trottier
Lindsay
Lafleur
Sakic
Yzerman
Orr
Lidstrom
Bourque
Potvin
Harvey
Shore
Robinson
Hasek
Roy
Glenn Hall
Plante
Sawchuk

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Malkin is top 50ish, while Toews is probably top 200. But Toews isn't even the worst player on the list so I don't know why he's the one always criticized. Mike Gartner, Bob Gainey, and Joe Nieuwendyk have no business on that list either.

Perhaps due to a combination of people not knowing their hockey history, recency bias and people not being able to translate across eras well enough ("oh, wow, Gartner has 700+ goals!").

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Wait Niewendyk was on the list??? I knew Gartner was there and shouldn’t have been, and I don’t know enough about Gainey to comment.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Which of the following is he better than?

Gretzky
Howe
Lemieux
Jagr
Crosby
Ovechkin
Richard
Beliveau
Morenz
Messier
Esposito
Clarke
Mikita
Trottier
Lindsay
Lafleur
Sakic
Yzerman
Orr
Lidstrom
Bourque
Potvin
Harvey
Shore
Robinson
Hasek
Roy
Glenn Hall
Plante
Sawchuk

I’d go with Lindsey and Trottier.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Wait Niewendyk was on the list??? I knew Gartner was there and shouldn’t have been, and I don’t know enough about Gainey to comment.

Gainey was very good defensively, but his offense was abysmal for a supposed top 100 player. The dude never even scored 50 points in a season despite playing in the 1970s and 1980s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad