Toews vs Backstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Before this tournament, all I heard was Backstrom this and Backstrom that. Now that we've seen both in action and at the same level of competition, it is clear that Toews is the better of the two. He doesn't get anywhere near the hype of Backstrom even though he just wins, wherever he plays.

As for the posters who claim that Toews has been very average for North Dakota, I challenge you to tell me how many times you've actually seen him play this year. Their games aren't on regular satellite.

Toews can snipe better than anyone I have ever seen. Those goals he scored where not flukes. He's been doing that kind of stuff since he was 13 years old. He's also a fantastic playmaker.

And finally, anybody that suggests that Forsberg is greater than Sakic doesn't know ****. Sakic is another guy that simply wins wherever he plays. The same can't be said of Forsberg.

Last edited by a moderator:

TempusFugit

Aug 30, 2006
I think this whole argument is pretty well useless. Both will be top notch NHL players. St. Louis took EJ first overall because #1 defensemen don't come around everyday, and he was the obvious choice. Pittsburgh took Staal second, and that surprised me a bit. I woulda thought they'd take Kessel and move him to wing and ride shotgun with El Sid. I guess they thought Staal had more potential, and were scared off by the rumors of Kessel's bad attitude. Chicago took Toews at #3 probably because he's a more complete player than Backstrom. Just like Sakic he can beat you by scoring goals, or by passing and is responsible defensively. Chicago didn't need a setup guy because they don't really have a bigtime sniper (or didn't when the draft was held). Backstrom was the perfect pick for Washington at #4. They desperately need a #1 center and a setup guy for Ovechkin & Semin. He'll probably always be a guy with way more assists than goals, like Thornton, Forsberg and Oates. But that's what the Caps need. The teams drafted for need and got what they needed

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Before this tournament, all I heard was Backstrom this and Backstrom that. Now that we've seen both in action and at the same level of competition, it is clear that Toews is the better of the two. He doesn't get anywhere near the hype of Backstrom even though he just wins, wherever he plays.

You deside who is better based on 6-7 games instead of half season?:biglaugh:

OK, then based on last Olimpics the best players of the world right now must be Niitimyaki and trio Selanne-Koivu-Lehtinen.

As for the posters who claim that Toews has been very average for North Dakota, I challenge you to tell me how many times you've actually seen him play this year. Their games aren't on regular satellite.

And how many times did your seen Backstrom in SEL? It seems that never.
But OK when your speak about Backstrom performance in SEL you doesn't need to say: do your know who are your talking about?, how many times have your seen him play?.
Backstrom's stats espescially compared to his teammates speak for themselves.

And finally, anybody that suggests that Forsberg is greater than Sakic doesn't know ****. Sakic is another guy that simply wins wherever he plays. The same can't be said of Forsberg.

Yes who is Forsberg? He just won 2 Olimpic Golds and 2 Stanley Cups. That's MUCH LESS than Sakic's 1 Olinmpic Gold and 2 Stanley CupsHe :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Before this tournament, all I heard was Backstrom this and Backstrom that. Now that we've seen both in action and at the same level of competition, it is clear for me that Toews is the better of the two.
Fixed.
He doesn't get anywhere near the hype of Backstrom even though he just wins, wherever he plays.
Poor Backstrom, he is 19 and recently he only won the senior WorldChampionship.. what a definite loser..

oh yes, Forsberg won OlympicS and Stanley cups, but his ones don't count i guess..

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
There's something to be said in this thread for selective memory.

Toews "arguably" outplayed Backstrom in one tournament in which he was surrounded by far more overall talent. (Bergfors and Berglund were awful).

On the other hand, Backstrom was a key cog in Sweden's OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL winning team, put in key situations as that tournament went on.

Then the simple fact that short tourneys are a historically bad drawing pool for player v player comparisons.

I think the argument leans towards Backstrom v Staal, if anything.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
On the other hand, Backstrom was a key cog in Sweden's OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL winning team, put in key situations as that tournament went on.

Change

was a key cog in Sweden's OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL winning team

to

was a healthy scratch/reserve for for a few games on Sweden's WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP GOLD MEDAL winning team, then came ín and played (4 pointless games) and did surprisingly well.

Last edited:

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site

I dont know who is/will be better....and have seen very little of either....but I have to ask you, how many times have you seen Backstrom play this year? Seems like a fair question since you are "challenging" those that feel different than you, and have asked them the same question

ok....wherever he plays? Uh.....can you list me all these teams he has won with?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

Toews "arguably" outplayed Backstrom in one tournament in which he was surrounded by far more overall talent. (Bergfors and Berglund were awful).

Backstrom was a healthy scratch/reserve for for a few games on Sweden's WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP GOLD MEDAL winning team, then came ín and played (4 pointless games) and did surprisingly well.

Then the simple fact that short tourneys are a historically bad drawing pool for player v player comparisons.

I think the argument leans towards Backstrom v Staal, if anything...

oops.

dieseleric

Aug 17, 2006

Who are the far more talented players Toews is surrounded by (I'm assuming you mean his linemates?)

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I dont know who is/will be better....and have seen very little of either....but I have to ask you, how many times have you seen Backstrom play this year? Seems like a fair question since you are "challenging" those that feel different than you, and have asked them the same question

I`m guessing that none of us (that are defending Toews) have seen Backstrom play in the SEL. The difference is that we are not making statements about his play in the SEL either. It seems that there are many on this thread who have been bashing Toews` play at North Dakota without ever having seen him play there or without knowing his situation. That is the problem.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site

I think the argument leans towards Backstrom v Staal, if anything.

Why even post in this thread if you know absolutely nothing about what is being talked about? And there was nothing "arguable" about Toews outperforming Backstrom at the world juniors, it was a fact. I`m not saying that anyone should base their opinion solely on that tournement, but to even attempt to say that the two played at the same level in the tournement is rediculous.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Who are the far more talented players Toews is surrounded by (I'm assuming you mean his linemates?)

You mean you never heard of Ryan "19 points in 21 OHL games O`Marra or Tom "drafted 107 overall" Pyatt? How could you not score with them on your line :sarcasm:

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
2 stanley cups with Colorado
Olympic Gold, World Championship Gold, WJC Gold and World Cup of Hockey Gold with Canada

Rushing out after work my point was not made clearly.......i was trying to illustrate that not only does Forsberg pretty much match his international success (couple Olympic goals, including the amazing shootout goal to win it, he played on the same Cup teams) so for someone to say "Sakic wins wherever he goes" like he has that over Forsberg is ridiculous

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
I`m guessing that none of us (that are defending Toews) have seen Backstrom play in the SEL. The difference is that we are not making statements about his play in the SEL either. It seems that there are many on this thread who have been bashing Toews` play at North Dakota without ever having seen him play there or without knowing his situation. That is the problem.

ahh.....just dont listen to the knuckleheads. This place is filled with people that will argue a 5th round selection was taken over a guy that was still on "their board".....when in fact they wouldnt know the guy they were so "high on" if he was sitting next to them with a shirt that said "it's me"

Joretus

Like when captaining Canada in Turin or Colorado without Forsberg?

Joretus

Canada's whole team had like only 1st 2nd round choises(couple of outsiders from 3rd round or so) while Sweden had like 5 1st/2nd round choises.

I would say Canada have "a little more" talented group, don't you?

I'm still asking this, which would have been made greater difference Canada without Toews or Sweden without Bäckström?

And I'm still saying Toews played better in this tournament, but saying Bäckström were playing someway bad or drastically taking Toews hype so high is just making me wonder what kind of thinking have you ppl doing...

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well -if both are playing in the NHl next year--put money on Backstrom outscoring Toews--iF--he plays with Ovechkin+Semin;UNLESS Toews gets to play on line #1 with Havlat and assuming Havlat is not injured half a season...

What I am saying is--Backstrom will have a much easier go of it--because he'll get featured time with thos TWO snipers;knowing the Hawks penchant for "easing in rookies" --they might not want to pressure so early the "Saviour" player which they NEED Toews to eventually be--in that case Toews may only play 2nd line centre next year--especially if they re-sign Handzus--thus put money on Backstrom to outpoint himnext year...and EVEN IF I'm wrong and they thrust Toews right into the "Saviour" role as the top centre (God knows they are desperate for a top centre to get the offense going) --then the pressure on Toews will be much more than that on Backstrom--because Ovechkin and Semin seem to be doing fine without him anyway--he doesn 't have to be a "'star" since they already are---wheras in Chicago Toews will be expected to magically turn the Hawks into WINNERS whether he plays on line #1 or line #2--and regardless of whether Havlat is in the lineup or not---so the pressure will be far greater on his shoulders than on Backstrom's...in short--Toews will be thrust into an expectation of being relied on as one of the "go to guys who will make anyone he plays with better---Backstrom can merely bask in the already blazed path by the other youngsters (Ovechkin+Semin) --if he helps them score more all the better--if they
help him shine--well that was expected anyway...no--Toews has a far,far harder burden to bear in Chicago.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004

Sakic didn't win **** until Forsberg showed up.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
For the hundredeleventh time... Bäckström didn't play regular shifts with Bergfors, or Berglund. God, find out the facts before you make statements...

SChan*

Sorry but Colorado wouldn't have won stanley cup 2001 without Forsberg vs the Kings. that series went to 7 games and Forsberg was a robot according to andy murray and he had 10 points in that series.

And for those saying Backstrom had such a awful tournament need to check your facts. He had 8 points in 6 games or so. I am not sure that's the definition of awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->