Toews vs Backstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Now that we have all had a chance to see after the World Jrs.....who would you choose to start a franchise and why?

That's a really hard question to answer...I would have to say Toews but only because im a homer Canadian. I think they are both going to be amazing.

dieseleric

Aug 17, 2006
Now that we have all had a chance to see after the World Jrs.....who would you choose to start a franchise and why?

PS - How do I make a poll on here?

While you can't base your opinion entirely on this tournament, I think Jonathan Toews showed people why the Blackhawks took him 3rd overall ahead of Kessel and Backstrom. He has a great all-around game and showed it for Canada. I think Backstrom will be great, too. I would personally take Toews...but I am from Winnipeg, so I'm pretty biased

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
i love toews - but damn, backstrom can skate circles around everyone.

he's a phenom. best pick from 2006.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Backstrom will be a great player and put up more points, but I'd rather have Toews on my team. studs like Toews win championships, he can do a bit of everything, and I think he'll captain a few teams to Stanley cups during his career.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
erm ... studs like backstrom don't?

that didn't make sense, sorry.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
erm ... studs like backstrom don't?

that didn't make sense, sorry.

Toews has the make up of Yzerman/Sakic, he's everything you want in a center IMO. Toews will be a captain in the NHL, I don't think Backstrom has the makeup to captain an NHL team, he'll still be a great player don't get me wrong but never a leader. How many European captains have won a cup? I can't think of any. Bottom line is I want Toews leading my team in the playoffs, not Backstrom. Toews is just one of those special players that doesn't come along very often.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Toews has the make up of Yzerman/Sakic, he's everything you want in a center IMO. Toews will be a captain in the NHL, I don't think Backstrom has the makeup to captain an NHL team, he'll still be a great player don't get me wrong but never a leader. How many European captains have won a cup? I can't think of any. Bottom line is I want Toews leading my team in the playoffs, not Backstrom. Toews is just one of those special players that doesn't come along very often.

Backstrom wears an "A" for Brynas

SChan*

I promise caps fans that backstrom will be the sh1t! His linemates cost him like 4-5 points ATLEAST, and his selfwareness that he wants to improve his game means very good leadership skills for the future. Simply put that backstrom like forsberg is NEVER happy with his game.

I am very drunk right now, but damn cush, he is going to help caps next season! HICK!

ARS

Apr 26, 2004
Ottawa
I think Toews is a bit better than Backstrom. Both are amazingly skilled players that made both of their respective national teams better, but I think the clutch play of Toews makes me prefer him over Backstrom.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Kind of good that no poll was done because I have a feeling we would have seen some rather skewed results. Ie Toews taking it in a landslide, especially considering his play in the last 2 games.

Not that Toews isn't deserving, but right now I don't feel they are separated by that much, despite their opposite showings at the WJC. Backström is just insanely talented and should be an excellent NHLer, same with Toews.

Although I think that in many people's eyes Toews' stock skyrocketed up after this tourney. He did a ****in' good job.

Edit: Although skimming the responses, it seems as though it would be much closer than I anticipated. (Which is good, maybe I should have a higher opinion of my fellow HFers. ;) )

Joretus

Bäckström, Toews were great and I bet he will be great, but Bäckström have more offensive potential.

And not taking anything away from Toews, but isn't it weird that any U-20 when Canada is succeeding most of their players(more than few) are praised to another level than any players in any other teams(mostly in weak ones).

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Backstrom wears an "A" for Brynas

I don't think that's really a good way of showing he has leadership skills, I mean a lot of teams in Europe give letters to their best players, not always the best leaders. Toews has won everywhere he's played, I want that kid on my team in the stanley cup playoffs. Nothing against Backstrom, I just love everything Toews brings to the table. Just look at the scouting reports before the draft, they rave about Toews leadership qualities and all around game, and redline compared him to Rod Brind'Amour. Hell his favorite player is Joe Sakic. He''s just got that special Brind'Amour/Sakic/Yzerman qualities about him that are very rare among prospects.

Joretus

How many European captains have won a cup? I can't think of any.

I have had this conversation before. How many yankees as captains have won a cup? Does it tell about yankees not being good enough to win? Or should you ask how many teams have had european captains in the history vs how many canadian captains.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I would of like a poll on this one and come back 2 month from now and thrwo another poll on the same question. I'm sure the results would be quite different. I think a lot of people are basing their opinions on what hey saw at the WJ.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I have had this conversation before. How many yankees as captains have won a cup? Does it tell about yankees not being good enough to win? Or should you ask how many teams have had european captains in the history vs how many canadian captains.

Canadians simply produce better captains and leaders. Perhaps the culture in Europe makes the players not value the cup as much as Canadians I'm not sure. If I'm going into the playoffs, I want Sakic, Yzerman, Brind'Amour, Smyth, etc leading my team. There has been plenty of euro captains and they've all failed to get it done, give me a call when one of them wins a cup.

Joretus

Canadians simply produce better captains and leaders. Perhaps the culture in Europe makes the players not value the cup as much as Canadians I'm not sure. If I'm going into the playoffs, I want Sakic, Yzerman, Brind'Amour, Smyth, etc leading my team. There has been plenty of euro captains and they've all failed to get it done, give me a call when one of them wins a cup.

So since 95% of history in NHL captains have been from NA it's proving they are better to captain for cup. Same as I would say I would prefer canadian players, since they have won more stanley cup champions so clearly. So without any euros it's easier to win than with euros in team. Atm. there is just 11 captains from Europe and this season is first time when there is over 10 captains from europe I think.

There is question for you, how many european captains there were before 90's?

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005

I don't think that's quite accurate. The number of European captains who had a legitimate shot at a cup are probably no more than a handful. You probably can't look back more than 15 years to find European captains, whereas the entire breadth of NHL history is full of Canadian leaders. Since the fall of communism I'd hazard a guess and say there hasen't been more than 20 European captains in the league, total.

Sundin, Koivu, Forsberg, Lidstrom, Norstrom etc...are all great leaders and I'm sure no one would have any problem with them as captains.

It's only a matter of time before a European captain wins a Cup and I don't think it should be looked upon as a oddity. It's easier to find examples of Canadian leaders because there have been of them throughout the years.

But hey, if Joe Thornton is good Canadian boy you want leading your squad in the playoffs, more power to you. I'll build my team around Forsberg and we'll see which team goes further.

Joretus

I don't think that's quite accurate. The number of European captains who had a legitimate shot at a cup are probably no more than a handful. You probably can't look back more than 15 years to find European captains, whereas the entire breadth of NHL history is full of Canadian leaders. Since the fall of communism I'd hazard a guess and say there hasen't been more than 20 European captains in the league, total.

Sundin, Koivu, Forsberg, Lidstrom, Norstrom etc...are all great leaders and I'm sure no one would have any problem with them as captains.

It's only a matter of time before a European captain wins a Cup and I don't think it should be looked upon as a oddity. It's easier to find examples of Canadian leaders because there have been of them throughout the years.

But hey, if Joe Thornton is good Canadian boy you want leading your squad in the playoffs, more power to you. I'll build my team around Forsberg and we'll see which team goes further.

Word:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad