Toews potential?

CronoX

Mar 15, 2006
Hockeytown, MI
I'm just wondering how will Toews do a) next year and b) in the long run? Every time I hear about this kid, he's better and better. I can remember hearing when he was first drafted people likened his potential to a solid 70-80 point two-way forward (a la Rod Brind'Amour or a less skilled Joe Sakic). Do you think he can be better than this projection? How many points will he score next year as a rookie?

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
I'm just wondering how will Toews do a) next year and b) in the long run? Every time I hear about this kid, he's better and better. I can remember hearing when he was first drafted people likened his potential to a solid 70-80 point two-way forward (a la Rod Brind'Amour or a less skilled Joe Sakic). Do you think he can be better than this projection? How many points will he score next year as a rookie?

Well, I think he'll probably spend a lot of time in Norfolk next year, so I'm not sure he'll be a rookie of the year candidate or anything. Maybe if he keeps his Calder eligibility until 2008-09, he'll be the guy with seventy odd points.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Toews and think he'll have a solid career, I'm just not sure he's ready for prime time just yet. If the Hawks are terrible again next year, maybe he'll spend the last month or so with them and give us a glimpse of what he'll be like.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
dont know if he will stay with the hawks or go to AHL next year so maybe a couple of call up next year , something like 15 goals 30 pts , in the long run I see him being a 1st line center who will dominate night after night

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
I personally don't think he's a much different player from the day he was drafted... let's not forget Brad Boyes had an impressive showing at the World Championships, playing with good players, just as Toews did. Don't get me wrong, I think he's gonna be an incredible, complete player and very consistent. I just don't think he's suddenly the perrenial 100 point player he's being made out to be on the Boards (not saying that's what you're trying to get across). I still think he'll be around that 70-80 pt average, with the excellent two-way game, topping out around the 100's once or twice.
Next season, I do agree that Chicago will be tentative to thrust him into a prime role, but I do think he'll be with them about the whole season IMO rather than the A for a while first. I predict something similar to Kessel this season as far as production, but a bit better, possibly around the 45 pt. mark. Just my opinion of course.

WOTR

Jul 26, 2003

I am a Hawks fan and a Toews fan. He is an extremely smart player, very intuitive when reading the play. I would be ecstatic and more than happy if he becomes a 70-80 point player with his two-way game. Anything more is extra from my point of view.

WOTR

Jul 26, 2003
I mean, Sakic isn't even breaking 100 points every season. It is almost uneccessary to a teams success. Not to mention, Toews is the type of person that isn't going to gloat on points. What I mean by that is that if he see a need to do something defensively in a game, that is what he will do rather than score, especially if his team is up in goals. That is what makes him a special player is his mindset is on what he can do to help the team win, goals, block shots, hang back, pick, check, on and on. That might pevent him from stockpiling obscene amount of points.

Hawks28

Jun 26, 2007
I doubt that Toews will spend much if any time in the A next season. If Staal and Kessel could both play in the NHL LAST year with no time in the A, then I am quite confident that Toews will be in the NHL for the whole year.

Hawks28

Jun 26, 2007
I personally don't think he's a much different player from the day he was drafted... let's not forget Brad Boyes had an impressive showing at the World Championships, playing with good players, just as Toews did. Don't get me wrong, I think he's gonna be an incredible, complete player and very consistent. I just don't think he's suddenly the perrenial 100 point player he's being made out to be on the Boards (not saying that's what you're trying to get across). I still think he'll be around that 70-80 pt average, with the excellent two-way game, topping out around the 100's once or twice.
Next season, I do agree that Chicago will be tentative to thrust him into a prime role, but I do think he'll be with them about the whole season IMO rather than the A for a while first. I predict something similar to Kessel this season as far as production, but a bit better, possibly around the 45 pt. mark. Just my opinion of course.

lets also not forget that Boyes was 5 years older at the time he played in the WHC than Toews was. I agree with most of your post though.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well if they put him together with Kane -look out!

Also if Ruutu is the LW on that line and can't score,he'll be shipped out;conversely,as i expect,ANYONE should be able to go nuts scoring points with Toews and Kane as linemates--so look to Ruutu to have a huge year --FINALLY...just in time to ask for big pay raise next year (nothing motivates like money)..

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
lets also not forget that Boyes was 5 years older at the time he played in the WHC than Toews was. I agree with most of your post though.

Agreed, there's certainly a significant difference between the two, especially with age concerned, but the increase in discussion (as expected) is similar with the two. People were beginning to dub Boyes the next young, remarkable winger. But I'm not disagreeing at all. Toews and Boyes are certainly two different players and as I said, I still think Toews will be a remarkable talent, just not quite at the level he is being spoken of generally (not in this thread as so far everything seems to be very reasonable).

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005

Also if Ruutu is the LW on that line and can't score,he'll be shipped out;conversely,as i expect,ANYONE should be able to go nuts scoring points with Toews and Kane as linemates--so look to Ruutu to have a huge year --FINALLY...just in time to ask for big pay raise next year (nothing motivates like money)..

Haha, I like this one. :biglaugh:

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site

Lay off the pipe.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
A great two-way forward....I expect him to win a lot of MVP's in his career in NHL.

He's always there in critical movements...Whether to protect lead or score a goal...

I would say he will only hit 100 point mark twice or three times but will be great defensively.. (He's also very good in face-offs)

Selke Trophy, Pearson, MVP kind of a guy...

But don't expect him to win the Art Ross.

zoomba

May 11, 2006
Unionville, ON
I dont think he'll spend a day in the AHL. The way the blackhawks were last year I see no way he doesnt make the team and stick. Someone mentioned Kessel last year as a comparison for production. I think this is accurate. I expect to see Toews break in slowly and show flashes of his potential. By the end of the year he will probably be a key guy on the Hawks.

As for his career potential I think he has the ability to be a top notch player. He has shown the abiltiy to improve his game and is not intimidated by good players. He is going to be special.

bullsville

May 13, 2006
Toews will be a star in the league.I think the people underrate his offensive production and upside but i think he will surprise a lot of people...mark it

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
I don't think anyone at all is underrating his offensive potential... consistently putting up 70-80 pts. certainly doesn't label you a slouch; as a matter of fact, I like to think if you're putting up over 65 pts in the NHL with a dynamite two-way game, you are among the elite. There have been very few people in history who have been able to put up around 100 pts. consistently while being a complete player and I really don't think that is something that could have been overlooked when the pros were predicting his potential.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Toews will be a star in the league.I think the people underrate his offensive production and upside but i think he will surprise a lot of people...mark it

i completely agree with you. i have said that for a long time. i think he WILL be a 100 point guy some day and i think he will average around 90 points pr season over he's career. i dont buy that 70-80 points thing. he is going to be star in the NHL.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
i completely agree with you. i have said that for a long time. i think he WILL be a 100 point guy some day and i think he will average around 90 points pr season over he's career. i dont buy that 70-80 points thing. he is going to be star in the NHL.

God forbid he's a perennial 80 pt player... even Kovalchuk, with his skill, dipped below the 80 pt. hasn't shown the consistency from year to year that you are expecting from Toews, who has yet to play a game. I just think you people are seriously mis evaluating what it means to be an 80 pt. player in the NHL.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
God forbid he's a perennial 80 pt player... even Kovalchuk, with his skill, dipped below the 80 pt. hasn't shown the consistency from year to year that you are expecting from Toews, who has yet to play a game. I just think you people are seriously mis evaluating what it means to be an 80 pt. player in the NHL.

it all depends on if he reaches he's potential. and if he does he will be a better player then 80 pts pr year IMO. thats what this is all about.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
it all depends on if he reaches he's potential. and if he does he will be a better player then 80 pts pr year IMO. thats what this is all about.

Leading up to the draft, and even now depending on how you wanna treat a bit of success at the WC's, his potential I don't think was ever seen as a scoring champion type player. I'm not ruling it out by any means, and I even said I predict him to reach 100 a couple times, but I think the consensus even by NHL personnel is that he would be a super two-way guy (both defensive and offensive punch). Not many I don't think expect him to be up for too many scoring titles, but to each his own.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Leading up to the draft, and even now depending on how you wanna treat a bit of success at the WC's, his potential I don't think was ever seen as a scoring champion type player. I'm not ruling it out by any means, and I even said I predict him to reach 100 a couple times, but I think the consensus even by NHL personnel is that he would be a super two-way guy (both defensive and offensive punch). Not many I don't think expect him to be up for too many scoring titles, but to each his own.

yeah. thats exactly it. i see more in him then most others. i think he has higher potential then what all the experts says.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
yeah. thats exactly it. i see more in him then most others. i think he has higher potential then what all the experts says.

Works for me. I love him to death, and as a Pens fan pulling for the future success of these Chicago prospects, I hope he surpasses his "majority-believable potential."

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Toews just has a good head on him. He's got extreme talent. Worthy of first line material. Maybe something along the lines of Naslund-like numbers. (not the styles but the physical number totals)

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
He reminds me of Sakic and Yzerman in terms of style. Obviously in today's NHL he wont get 150 pts but 100 is definitely attainable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->