Confirmed with Link: Toews out indefinitely with illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Charlie Roumeliotis wrote up the injury-relevant portions of Stan's appearance on Blackhawks Talk including updates on Dach, Seabrook and Toews. Blackhawks injury updates on Dach, Seabrook, Toews

On Toews:

And finally, there have been scary rumors swirling on social media about Jonathan Toews' health and Bowman dispelled those.

"His status is the same as it was the last time we spoke of it, but nothing has changed as far as all these crazy things you're hearing or speculating," Bowman said. "That's not the case. But I think the important thing that we've tried to communicate to Jonathan is that just take your time, take care of yourself, when you're ready, you're ready. We'd love to welcome him back whenever that is, but until that happens we're just going to let him ... he's on his own timeline.

"We're not trying to call him daily to ask him how he's feeling, I think it's better to let him ... we know how much he loves being the leader of the team and when he's ready, he's going to be back here. We're not going to have to pull him back. So until that happens, we wish him the best and we know he'll be back when he's ready."

That's reassuring to me that he has a path to feeling better. It certainly seems like they expect him to come back and it's not something career ending.
Am I the only one reading this and thinking Toews' problem is pretty much between the ears?

Nothing said of any kind of treatments or treatment plan. No diagnosis of any kind. No talk of any medical involvement at all.

I'm not saying it's nothing, it could well be depression. Or he could just be at a career crossroads.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Am I the only one reading this and thinking Toews' problem is pretty much between the ears?

Nothing said of any kind of treatments or treatment plan. No diagnosis of any kind. No talk of any medical involvement at all.

I'm not saying it's nothing, it could well be depression. Or he could just be at a career crossroads.
HIPAA is a hell of a thing. Stan can't really be in the position to talk shop about potential diagnoses or treatments unless Toews has talked about it publicly first (and even then...)

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

He allegedly had a 'hard time getting up for the bubble', so no its not out of the realm that he's burned out with hockey at the moment and needs time away from the game

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
I used to try to make sense of fiddy's posts because he sometimes has very good points to make, but i just don't have the energy anymore.

TL/DR Toews may have slept with so many women that it's sapped him of his energy and he's too embarrassed to admit it

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Just listened to Stan on the podcast.

Really sounds like Toews is having a mental illness problem.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Not applicable here.

What are you talking about? :laugh:

HIPAA is always applicable when it comes to private medical information... Especially if he saw private medical professionals. Those doctors are under no obligation to provide that info to the Hawks. The Hawks likely know, despite that, as Toews has probably disclosed it to them. And then the Hawks are having some class, and are likely not disclosing what they do know, because Toews requested them not to.

This isn't that difficult. You're not entitled to anything.

Bickell and their charity being promoted by the Hawks is irrelevant to the conversation, so I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up.

Last edited:

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I used to try to make sense of fiddy's posts because he sometimes has very good points to make, but i just don't have the energy anymore.

I met a guy who was one of those whiz kids who graduated MIT at age 9. He's sold multiple technology start ups, developed a system which turns cow urine into potable drinking water in impoverished countries, reduced HIV infections in sub-Saharan Africa by 50% and has authored 143 books on computational physics, fluid dynamics and dead languages.

I sent him this link and asked if he could make sense of a Fiddy post.

His response?

BRUH!!

Reactions: smitty10

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Regardless of people's 'right to know', it's just very surprising that nothing has leaked. In today's day and age with social media and what not where everyone is a reporter, you'd think the beans would have been spilled within 15 minutes.

I can't think of another high profile athlete that had a significant issue like this where it's a complete unknown to the larger population. Frankly, being a hockey player probably gives him that privacy. If he were a high profile football or basketball player, whatever it is would have leaked by now.

Again, not making any sort of judgment at all - just saying it's surprising that his camp, the NHL, his sponsors, the Hawks, etc. have been able to keep it under wraps in this current world we live in where high profile people can't take a piss without 4M people knowing about it on Twitter 10 minutes later.

Reactions: Pertti

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Read HIPPA

What do you want me to read about it? I'm aware that the Hawks are under no obligation to protect the health information of Toews. They're choosing to. That doesn't give you some kind of entitlement to that info. There are still ways that HIPAA applies, though, just not to the Hawks releasing the information.

If he saw private medical professionals, then they are under no obligation to disclose that info to the Hawks, either.

I'd say it's highly likely that Toews divulged his issues to the Hawks, and requested they don't disclose it to the public, and they're honoring that for him... You're still not entitled to that info.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
What are you talking about? :laugh:

HIPAA is always applicable when it comes to private medical information... Especially if he saw private medical professionals. Those doctors are under no obligation to provide that info to the Hawks. The Hawks likely know, despite that, as Toews has probably disclosed it to them

I'm aware that the Hawks are under no obligation to protect the health information of Toews. They're choosing to

Those are both your posts, right?

Reactions: chicagoskycam

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Those are both your posts, right?

Yeah? What's your point? When it comes to private medical information, yes, HIPAA almost always has some form of application... HIPAA is literally made specifically to protect private medical information...

I explained how it could apply, in this instance, in my post.

:laugh:

I like how you completely ignore the second part of that quoted post, where I explained how it could apply. :laugh:

Last edited:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I like how you completely ignore the second part of that quoted post, where I explained how it could apply. :laugh:

We are not discussing what the doctors did or didn't disclose to Hawks brass. That is where HIPPA would apply.

What the Hawks do is not HIPPA regulated. Capiche?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
We are not discussing what the doctors did or didn't disclose to Hawks brass. That is where HIPPA would apply.

What the Hawks do is not HIPPA regulated. Capiche?

I never said it was. Capiche? I said that HIPAA is always applicable when it comes to private medical information. And explained how in this instance, HIPAA could be applicable.

And it's not HIPPA. It's HIPAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad