Toews needs some games off

CertainAffinity*

It's not about production. Toews has been a slow starter his entire career, and even when he gets rolling he can be streaky. I'm not worried about the fact that he's not putting up points right now.

I'm more worried about the fact that his skating is visibly labored, he's been cutting back on the number of faceoffs he takes game by game (he took a whopping NINE today), he's struggling a lot on the backcheck and having difficulty winning board battles. That last part is key, cause that's kind of what makes him a force. He's been taking short-cuts on the defensive end, using his stick in extended poke checks to try and get the puck off people or past the blue line, in situations where he would normally just skate to close the gap and take the puck away.

Possibly related (or my imagination) he seems really hesitant to shoot the puck and drive to the net, even when he has a wide open lane and is clearly the guy with the best chance available. Still he passes it off.

He's a warrior, so of course he's still going to all the tough areas, battling in front of the net, and all that. But he's clearly not right, and if he is, then Q needs to sit him. Winning games in December isn't important, these aren't the games that matter. Worse case scenario we drop a place in the standings. Have you seen the Western Conference? The only impact that has is that we go from having a tough match-up to having a tough match up. There's no 'easy' road this year.

Putting a hurt Toews into the second-day of a back-to-back against the Kings in December would be incredibly stupid IMO.

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
Well I think something is wrong with 19 for sure. Even when he hands the puck he can't seem to control it for any length of time, or it just bounces off his stick. And he seems more and more hesitant in traffic 9though getting cross checked in to the net after scoring didn't help!).

Yes me thinks something is a muck too.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
He's definitely playing through some injuries. I'd like to see him take a few games off and come back after the xmas break 100%

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
It's not about production. Toews has been a slow starter his entire career, and even when he gets rolling he can be streaky. I'm not worried about the fact that he's not putting up points right now.

I'm more worried about the fact that his skating is visibly labored, he's been cutting back on the number of faceoffs he takes game by game (he took a whopping NINE today), he's struggling a lot on the backcheck and having difficulty winning board battles. That last part is key, cause that's kind of what makes him a force. He's been taking short-cuts on the defensive end, using his stick in extended poke checks to try and get the puck off people or past the blue line, in situations where he would normally just skate to close the gap and take the puck away.

Possibly related (or my imagination) he seems really hesitant to shoot the puck and drive to the net, even when he has a wide open lane and is clearly the guy with the best chance available. Still he passes it off.

He's a warrior, so of course he's still going to all the tough areas, battling in front of the net, and all that. But he's clearly not right, and if he is, then Q needs to sit him. Winning games in December isn't important, these aren't the games that matter. Worse case scenario we drop a place in the standings. Have you seen the Western Conference? The only impact that has is that we go from having a tough match-up to having a tough match up. There's no 'easy' road this year.

Putting a hurt Toews into the second-day of a back-to-back against the Kings in December would be incredibly stupid IMO.

This has been going on for weeks, I posted it then and got reamed to question Jonny's play.:laugh:

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Something definitely seems to be amiss. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that, with the extra short summer, they decided not to do surgery on whatever it was that was bothering him in the playoffs and that it has been aggravated again this season. I haven't noticed a whole lot with respect to his skating and board battles, but he has been noticeably (IMO) less comfortable with the puck on his stick.

LandofLincoln*

with Toews out

Sharp Pirri Hossa ... Sharp to take faceoffs
Versteeg Handzus Kane
Morin Shaw Saad
Bollig Kruger Smith

Bickell hasn't returned yet

or

Sharp Shaw Kane
Saad Pirri Hossa
Handzus Kruger Versteeg
Bollig Smith Morin

Say Hey Kid

Baby, you can drive Makar
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Something definitely seems to be amiss. ...
Agreed. Nice username and avatar. ;) If the Tigers had rested Cabrera's multiple injuries after clinching in September, who knows what would have happened. I don't want the same thing to happen to the Hawks, although I'm extremely confident in our team.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Agreed. Nice username and avatar. ;) If the Tigers had rested Cabrera's multiple injuries after clinching in September, who knows what would have happened. I don't want the same thing to happen to the Hawks, although I'm extremely confident in our team.

I think by not growing up anywhere near Chicago, I don't have the same resentment towards Chelios that many around here do. Still my favourite player of all time.

Nothingman*

If he is playing he and team think he is useful. If it is his hand I think he will play. If it were 'lower body' he would be sitting out for sure.

Say Hey Kid

Baby, you can drive Makar
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I think by not growing up anywhere near Chicago, I don't have the same resentment towards Chelios that many around here do. Still my favourite player of all time.
Agreed and he's my fav also, just barely edging out Hull and Mikita. He usually goes in the top 32 in the HF All-Time Draft right around Brad Park and Pierre Pilote. Chicago native, Hawks Captain, and the greatest American of all time, and no one here had a good word to say about his HHoF election. :(

w00d

Remember the Roar
Oct 14, 2011
Chicago Stadium
It was reported yesterday that Toews has a couple fingers splinted together and that's why he has been limiting his faceoffs and not taking decent shots on net. He didn't say if any fingers were broken but he is playing injured. I don't remember which game it was, but he took a hard slash to the hands and skated to the bench holding his hand a while back.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
It was reported yesterday that Toews has a couple fingers splinted together and that's why he has been limiting his faceoffs and not taking decent shots on net. He didn't say if any fingers were broken but he is playing injured. I don't remember which game it was, but he took a hard slash to the hands and skated to the bench holding his hand a while back.

Was it the Winnipeg game where he had the 4 point night? I could have sworn he missed shifts in the 3rd period of that one thanks to some flavor of Jets goonery but can't find any articles mentioning it.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
This has been going on for weeks, I posted it then and got reamed to question Jonny's play.:laugh:

Ha ha. I did the same and everyone ignored the post. Your reputation precedes you.

Can't remember the game now, but it was a crosscheck to the back, followed by a slash to his left hand/arm, in front of the offensive net. Looked at the ref with a "what, no call" face, and labored back to the bench while the play went back up the ice.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So finally a physical explanation to explain his long stretch of ineffective play...way off his normal game...so not tiredness but injured hands..explains shots down..explains waiving instead of hard checking and puck control problems...explains lack of tale-aways..does not explain the slower laboured dkating...maybe he also has a leg ir groin problem too? But why are they playong an injured playerwho is not able to perform at even 75% of normal...more like just 20%...as in way way off? Do they think a terrible Toews in the lineup is still some kind of morale booster and would make our team more fragile mentally if they took him out to heal? I guess only Q knows why an unable Toews is.playing.

bulletwwings

Aug 17, 2011
Enemy Territory, STL
So finally a physical explanation to explain his long stretch of ineffective play...way off his normal game...so not tiredness but injured hands..explains shots down..explains waiving instead of hard checking and puck control problems...explains lack of tale-aways..does not explain the slower laboured dkating...maybe he also has a leg ir groin problem too? But why are they playong an injured playerwho is not able to perform at even 75% of normal...more like just 20%...as in way way off? Do they think a terrible Toews in the lineup is still some kind of morale booster and would make our team more fragile mentally if they took him out to heal? I guess only Q knows why an unable Toews is.playing.

Honestly, I think Toews out of the lineup and this team takes a dive. Sure he may not be putting up points like he should be, but he is still a player other teams watch constantly. If he were to be out for any long stretch of time I would be worried. Its well known he brings a lot to this team not just on the ice but in the locker room and other places. Other guys are stepping up and scoring in his absence but Toews sets up enough plays that it would be noticeable if he was out. Q probably is watching him closely and if Toews is unable to play, Toews and Q would take him out of the lineup. Toews is responsible enough with his health to sit himself, I.E. two years ago before playoffs with the concussion.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Was it the Winnipeg game where he had the 4 point night? I could have sworn he missed shifts in the 3rd period of that one thanks to some flavor of Jets goonery but can't find any articles mentioning it.

Yes it was. I commented on the slashing that went on in that game. I think Ladd got Toews more than once in the game. It's ridiculous that the officials call those chintzy hooking penalties and don't see or choose to ignore the slashes to wrists and hands. Toews receives more than his share of these rather cowardly acts.
I also think that JT is smart enough to pace himself over what amounts to over a 100 game season (not tot mention the grind of the Olympics in February), and in doing so doesn't seem to have the usual hunger in his game - every now and then he has over the top great games, and it is invariably when the team is playing flat and need it's leader to take the bull by the horns..

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Ha ha. I did the same and everyone ignored the post. Your reputation precedes you.

Can't remember the game now, but it was a crosscheck to the back, followed by a slash to his left hand/arm, in front of the offensive net. Looked at the ref with a "what, no call" face, and labored back to the bench while the play went back up the ice.

Yes, that was a particularly bad one and JT definitely was slowed down. Ops are hacking at him all the time, and with his bulldog style keeps him all the more vulnerable.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Yes, that was a particularly bad one and JT definitely was slowed down. Ops are hacking at him all the time, and with his bulldog style keeps him all the more vulnerable.

Honestly that it is starting to be a little concerning. I absolutely love the guy, and admire to no end his desire and willingness to take a beating, but sometimes I almost wish he would pick his spots a little more carefully. When I see him taking cross check after cross check in front of the net in a Novemeber game where we are up by 4 I just shake my head a little. Not that I ever see that changing, because that attitude is a big part of the reason he is such a special player.

w00d

Remember the Roar
Oct 14, 2011
Chicago Stadium
I'd like to know what the Hawks' record is in games where Toews doesn't play. It's probably around .500 or so. They had a good stretch of wins when Toews was out with his concussion a couple years ago, but they've had a lot of losses too.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
I only remember that the team seems to unravel if something bad happens to the captain. And I don't want to find out if they have overcome that problem. That said, I wouldn't mind if they sat him a game or two, to rest, and to see how they would manage without him. It's early in the season and a good time to experiment.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Yes it was. I commented on the slashing that went on in that game. I think Ladd got Toews more than once in the game. It's ridiculous that the officials call those chintzy hooking penalties and don't see or choose to ignore the slashes to wrists and hands. Toews receives more than his share of these rather cowardly acts.
I also think that JT is smart enough to pace himself over what amounts to over a 100 game season (not tot mention the grind of the Olympics in February), and in doing so doesn't seem to have the usual hunger in his game - every now and then he has over the top great games, and it is invariably when the team is playing flat and need it's leader to take the bull by the horns..

I think he's coasting a little a too. He still has that dominant gear, but we're seeing it less. Obviously the hand is a problem with shooting and faceoffs, but some of the lazy back checks I think are because he is saving himself a little. They're still bad plays and I'm not excusing them from what they are, but I'd be very surprised if he don't see Hart caliber 19 starting around the new year. And yes they should sit him.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Toews does many things other than start slow. Even when his offensive numbers dip, he still is a very valuable player to have. The best way to work out of a slow start it to play and get into a rhythm. He definitely has the linemates to help him produce more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad