Todd Nelson

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Todd Nelson is seriously considering assistant coaches positions in the NHL what did not make sense for him to return to Edmonton? He would be the ideal candidate behind T-Maxx to fill in if T-Mac faulters. Brings a good pp as well

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
In one of the threads there is a tweet from Craig Custance saying Edmonton isn't an option. STL is potentially in on him as well as a potential assistant gig in Detroit

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
He very likely wouldn't come here without an associate coach role (i.e. guaranteed to be the next dude). But after he essentially got screwed over, he most likely wouldn't come here at all.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
whatever happened to his only wanting to be a head coach thing?

maybe he finally realized he has to pay his dues as an NHL assistant?
whoever gets him is going to get a great assistant coach.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018

Where does that he was just recently given the go-ahead to seek out NHL assistant jobs so that might be a game-changer

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
If I'm Todd Nelson there's no way I'm coming back here. He'd basically be stepping into the exact same situation he was in the last time he was here. If Nelson gets the chance to take over for TMac in season, it likely means the season has already gone to hell, and most likely Chiarelli is getting fired at seasons end. That means a new GM would be coming in next summer, who would want to hire his own coach. It's very easy to see Nelson being let go again, through no fault of his own.

I can't see this being an enticing situation for him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I would bring him in as an associate coach, but he may have felt slighted by MacT and Chia or even McLellan and may not even be willing to consider the option.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I would bring him in as an associate coach, but he may have felt slighted by MacT and Chia or even McLellan and may not even be willing to consider the option.

With the way he was treated the first time he got the gig and having MacT run the bench terribly for a couple winless weeks, I wouldn't considering coming back here if I was him.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Loved Todd Nelson.
That bridge has been burned unfortunately with the 2015 shift of staff.

Long as he doesn't sign in CGY, I'm rooting for him.

All signs point to Gulutzan as associate role anyways I think

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
What was the exact reason MacT went behind the bench for those 5 games or so? No other coach required training wheels.

the instant improvement from eakins to Nelly would have really made MacT look bad. He had to pad the loss column a little so it wasn't quite so obvious eakins was a terrible decision. Nelly was after all the "official coach on record" for those losses.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I dream of an all Todd coaching staff.
200.gif

Reactions: McDNicks17

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Exactly. MacT's whole hand-holding on the bench for five games was idiotic, but pretty much everything was idiotic under MacT.

There are only 31 head coaching jobs in the NHL. If Nelson wants to pout because the organization didn't appoint him permanent head coach, well nobody else did with the experience he had and nobody else looks like they were willing to either three years later. Perhaps he could be grateful to the only organization that has let him coach in the NHL?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If we want to fix our stupid PP that depends on stuff like Letestu turning into OV for 2 months to be respectable (and then helps crater the team for 5+ months waiting for Letestu to be OV again because we're so damn certain that it'll happen again because it did before), we would hire him immediately.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
What was the exact reason MacT went behind the bench for those 5 games or so? No other coach required training wheels.
He came up with the excuse that he wanted to see first hand what was going on in the room and on the ice with the players. Almost like he thought so little of Nelson to respect his opinion.

My guess has always been that he was read the riot act for not doing his job and firing Eakins himself and much sooner. I think he was in a panic thinking he was about to be canned himself if he couldn’t figure out how to turn this thing around. This happened not long after Nicholson stripped him of the power to trade core players and who knows what else. I think he thought he needed to do something to make it look like he was doing his job but didn’t know what he should be doing.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Todd Nelson is seriously considering assistant coaches positions in the NHL what did not make sense for him to return to Edmonton? He would be the ideal candidate behind T-Maxx to fill in if T-Mac faulters. Brings a good pp as well

I posted a link in another thread to Craig Custance who linked Todd to Detroit, Dallas and Ottawa and specifically said Edmonton was not an option.

So your dream has died....Sorry. :)

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Gregor saying on his show that Gulutzan and Yawney are basically done deals, and Viveiros could be the hold up.

Much as I liked the names we had in place before at the AHL level (Todd Nelson, Rocky Thompson) I think we've chosen our course.

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
Haha I almost forgot about MacT’s second coming as “head assistant associate coach”. God that was cringeworthy. I forgot what this thread was even about because the flashbacks.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
If I'm Todd Nelson there's no way I'm coming back here. He'd basically be stepping into the exact same situation he was in the last time he was here. If Nelson gets the chance to take over for TMac in season, it likely means the season has already gone to hell, and most likely Chiarelli is getting fired at seasons end. That means a new GM would be coming in next summer, who would want to hire his own coach. It's very easy to see Nelson being let go again, through no fault of his own.

I can't see this being an enticing situation for him.

The oilers should have given him a shot when he was here as an interm, but they hardly considered him. He had better results with our young guys then the other 5 coach’s that ran through Edmonton. The oilers should have also never let Kruger go, he’s the last coach to have the team in a playoff spot at trade deadline, despite the late collapse they would have made in, yes I know it was a lockout shortned year

Reactions: harpoon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad