Todd Nelson to become assistant on the Stars

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
IMO if the Wings are really bumping up Holland in 2 years, they would extend Blash for another year. That way a new GM could pick his coach. I also don't believe Blash is a bad coach.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Group of quotes from Nelson, none of which are all that surprising:
"I felt that I've accomplished what I want to accomplish here. I came to Grand Rapids to win a Calder Cup, which we did, and I wanted to re-establish myself as a head coach - a good head coach - and I felt I did that over the past three years," Nelson said in an interview Thursday with MLive.
"It was disappointing a little bit this past season," Nelson said. "But, yeah, short of winning another Calder Cup, what is there more than I can do here? Unless I wanted to stay here for, like, the rest of my life.
"I have to move on. There is a short window and right now I'm in it. I'm 49-years-old and I'm using this has a platform and hopefully I have success with Dallas."
Nelson, who has not been shy in aspirations to be a head coach in the NHL, said that fact is understood within by Montgomery and general manager Jim Nill.
"They understand what the plan is," Nelson said. "Jim Montgomery said, 'This is what I see happening: We're going to come in here, have success and in two years you're going to go do your own gig somewhere.' And both Jims were good with that.
"And I just feel good about it, the situation and the challenge."
Todd Nelson talks about leaving Griffins for NHL: 'I have to go'

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
This is nice in theory, but who is a "HUGE upgrade" on Blashill that is set to be available? I think Blashill is probably closer to the pack than he is given credit for, so you're talking about finding a top tier coach. There are really only a handful of coaches who stand out as great coaches, and the problem you will have with those guys is that they are all employed and compensated well. Who are you going to find on the market that is going to deliver the improvement you are looking for? Further, what coach that is capable of delivering big results is going to come to Detroit to coach this team in this state?

My gut reaction is that this season will play out with the organization and Blashill mutually parting ways at the end of the year. We will bring in someone with a decent track record, they won't deliver any notable improvement, and this will result in fans turning on him almost immediately.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wings just gave him a two year extension since they know a coaching change is totally pointless.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
New AHL coach is bald as well. Is there seriously some bald fetish for the Wings and coaches??? Blashill, Houda, and Simon!

Reactions: NickH8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->