Todd Nelson to become assistant on the Stars

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Can't blame the guy for trying something else, not sure what else he has to prove at the AHL level.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Pretty good move for Dallas IMO. They get an assistant that is likely good enough for an NHL head coaching job as well as an at hand fallback plan if their new HC, who doesn't have any pro level coaching experience, doesn't pan out.

Montgomery and Nelson played together in the AHL for a full season in 95-96 with Hershey.

Wonder who takes over the Griffins head coach job now? Simon, Knuble or Ramsey? Dan Cleary?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Wonder who takes over the Griffins head coach job now? Simon, Knuble or Ramsey? Dan Cleary?

Rumour is that Simon will take over. I can't see Cleary coaching, he might be better in a conditioning coach role.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Too bad, I really liked Nelson and was hoping he'd replace Blashill. It seems like we're sticking with Blashill for a while though. I hope Nelson does well in Dallas and this leads to a head coaching position soon. He was great in Grand Rapids.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I was really hoping we would give Nelson a similar role in Detroit.
Was he in contention for the assistant opening or were they trying to keep him in GR? I thought I read it was a possibility.

Last edited:

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Based on the extreme regression for the 2 most promising returning Wings' prospects on the Griffs this past year, it appears he may not be good at developing young talent although I don't really know how much of the onus is on Nelson for their decline in production if any.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Tough news he would have been a great candidate to replace Blash next off season..

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Meh, good he's gotten a chance to be at the NHL level. Not sure why people were so hot for him in Detroit. Remember if it wasn't for him the Oilers wouldn't have McDavid. And he hasn't been world burning at developing players at the GR level.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Meh, good he's gotten a chance to be at the NHL level. Not sure why people were so hot for him in Detroit. Remember if it wasn't for him the Oilers wouldn't have McDavid. And he hasn't been world burning at developing players at the GR level.

Can't make something out of nothing, he hasn't had a ton of quality prospects to develop, and he's done good with what he's had.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

how so?

he came in in the middle of the year with the Oilers at 19 points in 31 games and coached them to 43 points in 51 the rest of the way

not great but pretty much exactly the same point rate that they had the previous year and that they would end up having the next year under McLellan(even WITH half a year of McDavid)

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
how so?

he came in in the middle of the year with the Oilers at 19 points in 31 games and coached them to 43 points in 51 the rest of the way

not great but pretty much exactly the same point rate that they had the previous year and that they would end up having the next year under McLellan(even WITH half a year of McDavid)

They went from 31% of possible points to around 40% of possible points. He didn't come in and do anything with the team. And the Red Wings are not nearly as talented as the Oilers were. So again, people's belief he's some savior is misguided. He did nothing with a very young, talented Oilers team.

As for Nelson and McLellan, I would lump him in with the Blashills of the world, only as good of a coach as the team he has.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
tumblr_nazslrbZ411ttc7kno1_250.gif

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He was a good AHL coach and might do okay as an assistant. To me he's on the exact same level as Blashill. When Wings replace Blash, I want it to be for a HUGE upgrade. Not more of the same.

This is nice in theory, but who is a "HUGE upgrade" on Blashill that is set to be available? I think Blashill is probably closer to the pack than he is given credit for, so you're talking about finding a top tier coach. There are really only a handful of coaches who stand out as great coaches, and the problem you will have with those guys is that they are all employed and compensated well. Who are you going to find on the market that is going to deliver the improvement you are looking for? Further, what coach that is capable of delivering big results is going to come to Detroit to coach this team in this state?

My gut reaction is that this season will play out with the organization and Blashill mutually parting ways at the end of the year. We will bring in someone with a decent track record, they won't deliver any notable improvement, and this will result in fans turning on him almost immediately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->