Today's Slapshot Oilers updated prospect rankings

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I thought you folks would enjoy my latest column, just up on Today's Slapshot:

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-prospects-2/nhl-prospects-edmonton-oilers-top-5-for-2015/

The column was written before the Sekera signing, which is why there is no mention of it.

"1. C Connor McDavid (10.0) McDavid is the first prospect I have given a 10.0 to since some kid named Sidney Crosby. But, if not him, then why even have 10.0 as an available rating? For the year 2371 AD when some kid with psychic abilities and the super-power to fly is draft eligible? I can’t wait that long, I’m giving it to McDavid."

:laugh:

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Agreed Bear was a steal IMO, I saw him play when the Tbirds came to Saskatoon, he definitely stood out.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I like Bear, and having him as a top 10 prospect wouldn't be a stretch, but top 5 reeks of shiny new toy syndrome.

Give the Bear some love guys!

Ha, all of your debates (Slepyshev, Yakimov, Brossoit) are absolutely valid, but you have to admit the difference between them is far slimmer than the difference between, say... McDavid and all four aforementioned players. As all of these players range from just under 7.0 and just over 7.0, I went with the player I would most likely have play (assuming they reach somewhere near their upside) on my ideal future Edmonton team.

A physical, right-shooting defenseman who stands up for his teammates is something the organization needs in the pipeline, so I thought Bear was a perfect fit and an outstanding late-round pick!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
First 4 were no brainers. Bear I guess you added to get a conversation started.. He is no better than someone like Jones and a step and some more below Leleggia. I would actually rank Davidson at 5 .. He has it in him to steal an NHL roster spot away from Reinhart and even Nurse next year. Best OKC dman (including Nurse' stint) last playoffs

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
uhmmmm

where to start

Ethen Bear is not the 5th best prospect--he might make the AHL--

he is maybe in the top 15--not top 5

I would say where to start would be... why this would be so upsetting to you. Bear is one of those team-first, bottom-four, heart-and-soul defensemen NHL clubs need to win. He will not win a Norris, but neither will any of my #5 prospects for the 30 teams I am reviewing. But he has a decent shot, is tough to beat one-on-one, plays smart and with a nice degree of physicality. Always always stands up for his teammates.

Once you get past the top three or four prospects, these rankings are open to a lot of debate and that's what's fun about it. But watch some film on Bear and you might get to liking him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44axkGD7z3c

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I would say where to start would be... why this would be so upsetting to you. Bear is one of those team-first, bottom-four, heart-and-soul defensemen NHL clubs need to win. He will not win a Norris, but neither will any of my #5 prospects for the 30 teams I am reviewing. But he has a decent shot, is tough to beat one-on-one, plays smart and with a nice degree of physicality. Always always stands up for his teammates.

Once you get past the top three or four prospects, these rankings are open to a lot of debate and that's what's fun about it. But watch some film on Bear and you might get to liking him:

meh.. nothing special... Slapshots from within the circle and wristers from the point.
Its good that he seems like a shoot first player but a highlight package like this can be compiled for just about any Dman who gets PP time.
Martin friggin Gernat would have as good a reel.

Leleggia seems like the real deal if he can overcome his size issues in Pro.
IMO there isnt a big dropoff between Davidson and Reinhart.
Betker, Pltzer, Yak2, Slepyshev, Khaira, Jones are all on par if not better than someone like Bear.

dudeoverhere

Feb 23, 2012
Leleggia is also 5 years older than Bear, he should be better. yes due to Leleggia size im not sure if will make it past the AHL, Bear's slapshot will do the talking with Seattle T-Birds this year. good prospect

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Bear will never play more then 40 games in the NHL

dudeoverhere

Feb 23, 2012
Bear will never play more then 40 games in the NHL

looks like another jealous troll, his a fresh prospect, already trying to call his games lol thats a laugh he'll be in Seattle one or two years, make the jump to AHL then develop his way into the NHL...kids a gem, stop trolling 'jumptheshark' makes you sound really jealous, and with 60,000+ posts on your profile, that has troll written all over you.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad