Tobias Rieder

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Injury has definitely impacted his speed. Still great defensively, but I think he is really suffering under Tocchet's "system". He needs to know his specific role to be effective, and I don't think he's been given one. I don't think he'll be in Arizona for much longer.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
You make it sound like he's a marginal 4th liner... is he still a decent/adequate 3rd liner or is he really that much worse? Do you expect he'll recover some of that speed or is it lost? (does it take a little longer to get back to 100% like other injuries?)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He’s a solid 3rd liner who because of his skating can play for stretches on any line. He’s moving down the depth chart as our other prospects mature.

Reactions: Jakey53

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
What kind of contract do you see him signing this off-season? He and Domi are having tough years and that might make it a little harder to come to terms.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
What kind of contract do you see him signing this off-season? He and Domi are having tough years and that might make it a little harder to come to terms.

If they keep Rieder, there's no justification for a raise. 1 year, same money.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
You make it sound like he's a marginal 4th liner... is he still a decent/adequate 3rd liner or is he really that much worse? Do you expect he'll recover some of that speed or is it lost? (does it take a little longer to get back to 100% like other injuries?)
Rieder is a solid 3rd liner, unfortunately, he's played Top 6 minutes with rotating linemates most of the season.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Impossible to project Toby's contract given his agent. Last year they used Kadri, a center making $4.5M, as the comparable.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Rieder has the potential of being a 3rd liner, but currently, we have all 3rd/4th liners and I think Rieder is in the bottom half of our forwards at the moment, thus delegating him to the 4th.

If another team acquired him, I'm guessing he'd maintain a 3rd line reputation and probably help a team needing some assistance at D. Here, he's just kind of useless (like most of our players this season).

Reactions: RemoAZ

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Some random things to consider:

Rieder's TOI is actually down a good bit this season, 15min vs 17 min. So he's been demoted to the third line, sure he might occasionally still line up in the top 6 but it's not that often.

He has 0 points in his last 12 games

He has 4 points in his last 23 games

Prior to that he had 10 in 29 games, which is a little slower pace than the last two years but still respectable. Especially considering he gets basically no power play time anymore.

So if he's just being an inconsistent tweener 5 on 5 like most of them are, he'll get hot here at some point and his numbers will go back up.

One other interesting thing, he's actually not getting as much penalty kill time either. So he has a minute cut across the board.

Reactions: Yandover

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
One other interesting thing, he's actually not getting as much penalty kill time either. So he has a minute cut across the board.

Yotes are also taking less penalties this year fwiw.

2017-18:
7:16 PIM/G
1:31 (3rd amongst forwards, Richardson 1:51, Martinook 1:43)
7.3 GA/60
78.8 PK%

2016-17:
9:51 PIM/G
2:21 (1st amongst forwards)
7.0 GA/60
77.3 PK%

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He's a good PKer.
His agent is a pain in the ass.
He's a smart player.
He generates turnovers and break aways.
He needs to fire his garbage agent.
He has poor finishing skills.
He's soft.
His representation is trash.
He's a hard worker.
He'll never hurt the team.
His agent sucks.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He's a good PKer.
His agent is a pain in the ass.
He's a smart player.
He generates turnovers and break aways.
He needs to fire his garbage agent.
He has poor finishing skills.
He's soft.
His representation is trash.
He's a hard worker.
He'll never hurt the team.
His agent sucks.
Walsh?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He is what he is, an excellent 4th liner and an ok 3rd liner. If he had enough offensive skill to be even a little dangerous on breakaways he'd have a chance to be more. Problem is he and his agent think he should be paid as a top six and our moronic management keep trying to force him into that role. He's valuable enough to sign to a long term deal if he'd accept compensation for what he is. I doubt that will ever happen. I expect him to be another Winnik signing one year deals with the highest bidder every season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->