Tobias Rieder versus Shane Prince

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Both are undersized OHL scoring forwards. Rieder seems to get a lot of hype despite modest production and Prince seems to be discounted frequently despite very impressive production.

I've never seen either player. What's the story here?

Thanks.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Both get accused of their teams making them look good.

I prefer Rieder of the two, he slipped down the depth chart when d'amigo arrived but should get top line duties next year.

Ceekay

May 6, 2009
Ottawa
Prince is talented but is going to get killed in the NHL IMO. He likes to dangle and leaves himself in very vulnerable positions. Other than that, great wheel and vision.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
To me, Prince has great hands but he has also benefited by his linemates being so strong. Rieder, while earlier on benefited from better linemates was "demoted" when D'Amigo came along, his linemates were no where near the calibre of the Ottawa first line. And his numbers were still respectable. Also Tobias plays the down low game along the wall pretty good, its not that easy to get the puck away from him.

IMO, Prince is the big risk/reward which I really would be worried about how his game will translate at the next level. Tobias is a bit of a project but has more of the tools and a two way game thats less of a risk for the next level. Tobias will be seeing more of a staring role next year.

QMJHL37

Aug 3, 2010
Gatineau
2 similar players. Princes linemates have benefited from him just as much. His incredible vision and hockey sense has been described by virtually every scout as off the charts. Both players have speed and tenacity. Prince probably has far better hands and playmaking ability where Rieder shoots more and may be more physical. Rieder was a disappointment on 2 big stages this season (WJC and the Top Prospects game) but to me it's only 2 games. Prince was regarded by the Red Line Report as "By far and away the best player on the ice for Team Cherry all night long". Prince wasn't selected for Team USA/WJC.
I've seen Prince a lot more than Rieder and I'm sold 100% that he will be an impact player in the NHL within 3-4 years.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Prince's points benefit from Toffoli for sure...but it doesn't take away from the fact that that line gains a lot from everything he does around the ice. Toffoli's laziness benefits from all the extra touches he gets from Prince's hustle and hockey sense.

GoWingsGo

Aug 4, 2010
Livonia, MI
Chalk up Tobias Reider's 3rd disaster in 3 tries in big games by going minus-5 in his first OHL Playoff game. Its starting to look like a trend with him. Ive seen my share of kitchener games this year, I like him but he vanishes at crunch time.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Don't look at plus minus...

Marcantuoni, the top Canadian forward for 2012 was minus 4 in his first playoff game. That line got torn apart and they were not playing particularly bad.

I'm not sure what you're talking about a "trend", because Riders been consistent this year and does not often have games like this.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Chalk up Tobias Reider's 3rd disaster in 3 tries in big games by going minus-5 in his first OHL Playoff game. Its starting to look like a trend with him. Ive seen my share of kitchener games this year, I like him but he vanishes at crunch time.

Rieder played for Germany at the WJC, they're not exactly one of the top teams.

Last edited:

GoWingsGo

Aug 4, 2010
Livonia, MI
Don't look at plus minus...

Marcantuoni, the top Canadian forward for 2012 was minus 4 in his first playoff game. That line got torn apart and they were not playing particularly bad.

I'm not sure what you're talking about a "trend", because Riders been consistent this year and does not often have games like this.

"trend" as in he has disappointed when in a big game situation on several occasions. Yes he's been consistent as far as playing pretty good in games all season long. He's also been consistent in playing quite poorly on the big stage (WJC, Top Prospects game, and now 2 playoff games). Coach Spott would appear to agree as he mentioned TR as a player who needs to step up his game after 2 playoff losses.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Steve Spott needs to shutup himself he's a huge part of why Kitchener lost.

How did he dissappoint at the WJC? Did you expect Germany to actually do everything? He didn't play much in the top prospects game and it's not that important anyway.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Not sure what the story is, but both plays on strong teams. I'll take Price, his skillset seem to be better.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Germans were terrible at the WJC, can't put that all on Rieder.

They were - and that was very sad because they actually had the best group of boys there that they've had in a long time.

And they got nothing done....

It's rough when you've not only got a well-rounded team with a handful of successful CHLers, including two who are basically your next Sturm and Hecht, as well as a handful of kids playing regular minutes in your country's top men's league and you lose everything, including your last relegation game 3-1 to Norway.

I don't expect things to be much better at the U18 next month, being held in Germany.

As for Rieder, he started off REALLY hot in the OHL and eventually cooled down quite a bit.

Was that all due to being placed on another line or did he just hit a wall in the OHL, as that schedule can be rough for first year Euro-players?

backdoorpass

prince is the better and going to be better....very skilled and can make unreal plays, i see giroux in him and seeing both players play jr they are similar just in the way they make plays and great passing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->