Prospect Info: Tobias Lindberg (2013, 102nd)

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I fully expect the likes of Dzierkals, Piccinich and Pospisil to play over him at this point. Korostelev and Bobylev will likely be in the ECHL. He should be traded or Marchenko'd if he is not gonna play though.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I fully expect the likes of Dzierkals, Piccinich and Pospisil to play over him at this point. Korostelev and Bobylev will likely be in the ECHL. He should be traded or Marchenko'd if he is not gonna play though.

LOL, and where is this coming from...? Lindberg has the tools to be an NHL player still... it didn't just vanish in a year. With his size and speed, he can be an effective 3rd/4th line winger IMO.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
LOL, and where is this coming from...? Lindberg has the tools to be an NHL player still... it didn't just vanish in a year. With his size and speed, he can be an effective 3rd/4th line winger IMO.

He ain't got no offense. I'm not betting on him finding his way out of the AHL.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
My 'sleeper' choice for this year in the AHL, he's got the tools and brains...does he have the heart? A make or break season for him and I have a feeling he's going all in.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He ain't got no offense. I'm not betting on him finding his way out of the AHL.

Actually he's quite good. I could see him reaching 40-45 points in the NHL if used in the right way.

The thing about Lindberg that makes him so special is that you can ask him to do anything and he will do it and do it well. He does not have any super plus qualities from what I know, but being above average in pretty much every category you can think of is special on its own.

His stats are misleading. He only picked up 16 points in 44 games last year (I seriously remembered that), but that was in a grinding role mostly. The year before, in a more scoring role, he got like 22 points in 34 games on a terrible Binghamton squad, and then came here and put up another 11 in 22 in a lesser role. Plus 2 goals in 6 games in the bottom 6 of a crap Leafs team. All as a rookie. 33 points in 56 games is not a bad AHL debut for a two-way forward not always used in a scoring role.

Next year, given the lack of size in the lineup, I would not be surprised to see him in a top 6 role. He can shutdown top lines (he shut down McDavid in the OHL) and can more than keep up offensively while giving some size to a smaller forward group. After that, I can definitely see him replacing Komarov. He's not as physical, but I think he's more talented. That role is his role in the NHL.

The only question marks are with his injury last year. He apparently also had one in his rookie year, but he did not miss much time because of it. He also apparently but heads with Binghamton coaching, but that does not seem like his character and they say he "matured" since then (I doubt he had issues in the first place, but incompetent coaching can bring out the worst in players sometimes). The same article I read that also ragged on him for his rookie production not being better and being benched in the AHL playoffs in favour of Kapanen... so I question their knowledge of AHL hockey.

Don't sleep on Lindberg. Don't sleep on a lot of the lesser known guys... it is tough to see beyond the lack of flashiness or production, but many of the guys that looked like head scratchers have a lot more game than you think.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Nah all three have a ways to go to beat out Lindberg. I do like the 5 guys though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Lindberg was injured much of last year, not scratched. If he was healthy he would have been in the lineup.

Plus 16 points in 44 games on the Marlies 4th line is not bad. Some of the guys he played with could have actually helped him produce more, like Gauthier, but he was in a shutdown role, and not the Kadri kind.

Not to mention this was during the Marlies offensive drought when Leipsic, Kapanen and eventually Froese, Johnsson and Rychel were the only ones who score regularly. Timashov, Moore, etc. were either ice cold or out of the lineup altogether. The 4th line was actually doing much better than expected offensively.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Seems like this is his make it or break it season. He's not a kid anymore and he'll be in his 3rd year in the American league. Hopefully he'll get the ice time to show something.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
True, but taking the next step is easier to talk about than do. He's entered his prime years now.

Ya the jump to the NHL is hard period. I'm just saying the guy has the tools to play in the NHL. Not sure how he will score in the NHL but hes not a black hole there either.
I just wouldn't write him off yet. It might or might not be for the leafs but it would not be a huge surprise for me if he does become a nhl player.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Seems like this is his make it or break it season. He's not a kid anymore and he'll be in his 3rd year in the American league. Hopefully he'll get the ice time to show something.

He's quickly becoming buried among the depth of similar wingers the Leafs have in the system. Difference being is that those prospects are younger and have room to grow more into their potential. Lindberg has to show something this year otherwise I don't know if they'll qualify him with an offer next summer (he's a RFA)

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He's quickly becoming buried among the depth of similar wingers the Leafs have in the system. Difference being is that those prospects are younger and have room to grow more into their potential. Lindberg has to show something this year otherwise I don't know if they'll qualify him with an offer next summer (he's a RFA)
Atm we only have Rychel that I would compare to him. We have lots of high skilled wingers but only 1 other power forward at that level.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Why do you say this...?

Lindberg recently turned 22...

Brown debuted after he turned 22...
Hyman was 24...
Soshnikov is almost 24...
Leivo is 24...
Rychel is almost 23...
Liepsic (whom many here were so high on) is 23...

Lindberg has time... this is our management's plan all along... We know they want to slow-cook our prospects, and hopefully we'll see the fruits of that labour.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Why do you say this...?

Hyman was 24...
Leivo is 24...
Rychel is almost 23...

Lindberg has time... this is our management's plan all along... We know they want to slow-cook our prospects, and hopefully we'll see the fruits of that labour.

Lindberg's production hasn't progressed offensively at all in 3 years in the AHL though. 5, 6, and 6 goals .. 24 points (40 GP), 12 points (22 GP), 16 points (44 GP)

You can only be patient to a certain extent

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I have basically zero confidence that this guy will become anymore than a regular AHLer. I know he's young and still has time I just don't think he'll be anything.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Lindberg has pretty decent even strength production though. He's just not getting much opportunity on the PP, so the numbers aren't quite there. He's underlying numbers were pretty solid, from what I've read.

Compared to Rychel he paced better for production, while having much better underlying numbers in tougher minutes. As so often in AHL, it's not always the best player that gets the opportunity.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's looking more and more like a bust. If he's not even looking CLOSE to being NHL ready by 22 it isn't a good sign.

But maybe he'll be one of those rarer cases of a guy turning things around by his mid 20s, but it's also issue of opportunity. The Leafs already have 3-4 young wingers ahead of him who haven't been able to lock down lineup spots yet with the Leafs AND the fact that younger and higher skilled wingers are about to start trickling onto the Marlies.

member 262271

I seem to remember he was at a .5 ppg clip last year, but that certainly tailed off. I think this might be a case of a potential good player having trouble cracking the leafs lineup, no fault to him but he's in tough.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Why do you say this...?

Hyman was 24...
Leivo is 24...
Rychel is almost 23...

All those guys had shown progression as prospects. That's the difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad