Speculation: To trade, or not to trade: Filppula edition

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Keep him for the rest of the season, see what his demands are after the playoffs, then possibly deal him for a fifth or sixth to let another team negotiate.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Why hold onto him only to flip him for a fifth or sixth later. Holland has to know at this point if signing him is realistic or not. If it isn't move him now. Don't waste value over a pipe dream of a cup rin with him the rest if the year.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Right. Maybe you keep him if you have a realistic chance at competing for a Cup...it's highly unlikely this team lasts past the first round. Holland holding on to Flip for the sake of a Cup run is awful, awful asset managment.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Right. Maybe you keep him if you have a realistic chance at competing for a Cup...it's highly unlikely this team lasts past the first round. Holland holding on to Flip for the sake of a Cup run is awful, awful asset managment.

I 100% agree

if KH does not know this very second whether he can and will sign Filpulla then he is a terrible GM. This decision should have been made weeks-months ago.

If Filppula says I want 5 million a season and/or am willing to test the free agent market(which is his right) then send him packing next wednesday. We could easily land a 1st rd pick in exchange and that pick will always outproduce a non-existent filppula.

its a very easy decision, very black and white..

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Move him. He's not going to make or break this season, he is an asset that has value in a trade and he is not going to be a vital part for the long-term health of this team.

crashman

I think he should be re-signed, but if they can package him in a deal for a impact player like Gaborik, then I'd do it.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Filppula is an excellent depth player. But he has truly failed to impress me as anything more than that this season. He's in that same category of guys like Ryder or Vrbata, who are nice players and all, but fail to engage that next level to make them indispensable.

So if the price is right, and since this team isn't overflowing with players of his caliber, you certainly keep him. Free agent options will be no better and I'm dubious the trade market is all that strong for a 2nd tier UFA having a soft season.

But with Tatar and Nyquist knocking at the door, you could make the argument that there are players ready to fill his shoes and if his contract demands make the team uncomfortable, exploring options would be savvy.

Well Stated Bench

He's not worth $5mil but without him our top-6 goes from bad to awful.

We're in a bad spot.

This is also a concern to me

I feel like this is an Ericsson deal all over again (now he has gotten better to be worth it, but.. if flip doesn't get better, sounds like he wants Franzen salary 5.5)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just trade him and give the icetime for Nyquist. Really that +5M does not fit anyhow to our core. You just don't overpay for 2nd liners. That's the fastest way to mediocrity.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
he aint worth 5 million quid a season for the next 4 plus years

if those are his demands say "ok no problem Val" then ship him off at the deadline for a 1st and a prospect or as part of package to land a top 6 young winger

100% agreed. You call other GMs and talk about what an under contract Filppula is worth while also negotiating with Flip's camp about $$ demands, and trade his ass under contract before the ink dries.

$5M for Filppula. Pffft.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Filppula is an enigma.

He provides alot of talent and skill.

I honestly think Tatar/Nyquist will not fully replace him.

We will be worse when he is traded...

UNLESS we ADD to how many players to give up to get something better back.

The only player on the rumour board for that is Bowmeester.

So let me ask this.

Filppula+ for JBo (Like it or don't like it)
How about
Filppula for 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder? (Like it or don't like it)
Filppula for a 1st rounder? (can we get that much for him?) (Like it or don't like it)

We will not get a young prospect with top 6 potential for him I do not think.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Filppula is an enigma.

He provides alot of talent and skill.

I honestly think Tatar/Nyquist will not fully replace him.

We will be worse when he is traded...

UNLESS we ADD to how many players to give up to get something better back.

The only player on the rumour board for that is Bowmeester.

So let me ask this.

Filppula+ for JBo (Like it or don't like it)
How about
Filppula for 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder? (Like it or don't like it)
Filppula for a 1st rounder? (can we get that much for him?) (Like it or don't like it)

We will not get a young prospect with top 6 potential for him I do not think.

Douglas Murray just got 2 second rounders and is a UFA, you think Filpulla might not get a 1st rounder?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I'd like to see him traded he has been a disappointment. Let's get something in return that gives us a future asset or can help us in another area. Even if we make the playoffs a cup run is not realistic. No need to hang on to him, he has been largely invisible this season.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
I would trade him in a package only for an elite winger or top-pairing d-man.

Can't see Kenny and co trading him, though.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
First: I doubt that Holland will trade him

I would trade him IF we are not close to re-signing him at this point. Better to get something than lose him for nothing.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
At this point I'd trade him. He's not exactly irreplaceable and he'll cost too much to retain.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
For literally his entire career I've been saying he'll never be more than a 40-50 point guy. And really, anyone who can take off the blinders, set aside their wishful thinking, and look through the lens of objectivity would've seen the same thing. His offensive instincts are mediocre and he doesn't see the game well.

I wanted him traded last year when his value was through the roof and we had gaping holes elsewhere in the roster. :shakehead

So, obviously, I'm in favor of trading him. We would absolutely get a 1st round pick out of the deal.

This is what I would do if I were Holland:

1. Trade Filppula to Chicago or Anaheim for a 1st round pick + a B-level prospect or a 3rd rounder.
2. Trade White to whoever for a 2nd round pick
3. Revel in the fact that you now have an extra 1st and 2nd round pick.
4. Either at the deadline or at the draft, use your extra 1st and 2nd round picks as bargaining chips to land a top 6 winger with size and/or speed.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
For literally his entire career I've been saying he'll never be more than a 40-50 point guy. And really, anyone who can take off the blinders, set aside their wishful thinking, and look through the lens of objectivity would've seen the same thing. His offensive instincts are mediocre and he doesn't see the game well.

I wanted him traded last year when his value was through the roof and we had gaping holes elsewhere in the roster. :shakehead

So, obviously, I'm in favor of trading him. We would absolutely get a 1st round pick out of the deal.

1. Trade Filppula to Chicago or Anaheim for a 1st round pick + a B-level prospect or a 3rd rounder.
4. Either at the deadline or at the draft, use your extra 1st and 2nd round picks as bargaining chips to land a top 6 winger with size and/or speed.

Sounds good to me

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I disagree with the part about filppula having mediocre offensive instincts and vision.

That being said I'd still do 1-4 in a heartbeat.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Flip is a meh player. Let him walk if he wants five million.

I would be Ok with 4 million. I have no problems trading him. The guy had one fluke year and his playoff resume isn't anything to write home about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad