Speculation: To trade, or not to trade: Filppula edition

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
He'd be nice in a JBo package but Flames fans seem confident that they wouldn't be able to re-sign him.

I don't see him being traded, keep him for the playoffs, but I think we part ways when his deal is up. He's a pure complementary player, and a good one at that. Pretty redundant with Nyquist coming in next year. Considering his rumored 'demands' for over $5M, we can try some other combinations and spend the cash elsewhere.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
He'd be nice in a JBo package but Flames fans seem confident that they wouldn't be able to re-sign him.

I don't see him being traded, keep him for the playoffs, but I think we part ways when his deal is up. He's a pure complementary player, and a good one at that. Pretty redundant with Nyquist coming in next year. Considering his rumored 'demands' for over $5M, we can try some other combinations and spend the cash elsewhere.

I agree, but does Holland trade him for assests or no?

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Probably not. Like I said, we keep him around for a playoff run and part ways after. Barring some sort of 'Nyquist' type explosion in his production.. but we've been waiting for him to really 'break out' for too long.

If his contract demands come down, I might reconsider. From what he's shown in this shortened season, small sample I know, a $4M cap hit is still pretty generous.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
I agree, but does Holland trade him for assests or no?

Doubt it. Kenny will whip out the 'loyalty, like family' mantra and he'll try lowballing Flip, only to see him follow the money. Asset management seems like a foreign concept to him nowadays. It's frustrating to see so many other GMs trading players for other assets/needs and Kenny keeps losing assets for nothing and replacing them with next to nothing.

Bottom line, Flip currently is a complimentary player, not a game changer. If he wants to price himself out of Detroit, trade him for assets/needs. I know we're still a playoff team, but trading him now gets us some kind of asset going forward. We've got other players of his ilk in the system.

CloneHakanPlease*

Shoudl've done it last year when his value was high. But alas hindsight is a ***** (one that continually proves me right later, but still a *****).

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Shoudl've done it last year when his value was high. But alas hindsight is a ***** (one that continually proves me right later, but still a *****).

Wow, what a crazy coincidence.

I, too, am always right after the fact.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Filppula is an excellent depth player. But he has truly failed to impress me as anything more than that this season. He's in that same category of guys like Ryder or Vrbata, who are nice players and all, but fail to engage that next level to make them indispensable.

So if the price is right, and since this team isn't overflowing with players of his caliber, you certainly keep him. Free agent options will be no better and I'm dubious the trade market is all that strong for a 2nd tier UFA having a soft season.

But with Tatar and Nyquist knocking at the door, you could make the argument that there are players ready to fill his shoes and if his contract demands make the team uncomfortable, exploring options would be savvy.

Hammerheart

Now how about a hug?
Aug 1, 2011
Filppula has been real good for us, but I think our time is coming to an end. I don't think holding onto him for the playoffs will make much difference, I don't see us making a push to win the Stanley Cup this year anyway. We should get as much out of him as possible in return like we should have with Hudler.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Keep him, but at least entertain offers. For the right return, trade him. Although, Franzen would be my first choice for trade bait. He just doesn't compete much anymore. A waste of talent. I would love to get Gaborik on Datsyuk's wing.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
he aint worth 5 million quid a season for the next 4 plus years

if those are his demands say "ok no problem Val" then ship him off at the deadline for a 1st and a prospect or as part of package to land a top 6 young winger

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Keep him, but at least entertain offers. For the right return, trade him. Although, Franzen would be my first choice for trade bait. He just doesn't compete much anymore. A waste of talent. I would love to get Gaborik on Datsyuk's wing.

I think Boston would be very interested getting Franzen, when they missed Iginla...

...but ****. They are in the future in the same division, can't trade. :rant: :cry: :banghead:

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013

If we could package Flip for Gaborik I would do it in a heart beat.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
not that I think he will go there but I thought after that clever Thomas trade and the Savard LTIR that the Bruins were ok cap space wise, no?

They have lots of capspace because of Savard will be in LTIR for rest of his contract.

If they sign Rask for 5 mil long-term, Bruins have around 59 mil (with bonuses) tied up in 18 players. Add Franzen there and it's 63 mil. on 19 players in 64.3 mil cap.

That's without Savard.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If they sign Rask for 5 mil long-term, Bruins have around 59 mil (with bonuses) tied up in 18 players. Add Franzen there and it's 63 mil. on 19 players in 64.3 mil cap.

That's without Savard.

Yeah, Horton walks for free agency and nothing prevents them trade some other salary away at next summer. But at this season they could have both (Horton & Franzen) and great chance for a cup.

But of course it's not happening, because of our move.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
Trade him when he decides to get hot again. Hopefully we'll... wait, Holland isn't trading anyone on this team. Too much loyalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->