To Those in the GM Game - A Poll about how to do the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Burke

rupispupis has came up with a great idea, IMO. Here is it, quoted from another thread:

rupispupis said:
I have an Idea about the entry draft. Instead of doing our own, which would take a couple of months, we use the real draft. As for picks that have been traded in this game, you receive the player that was picked at the spot you own. Confused?
Example:
I, Chicago has traded my 1st #3 to Phoenix for their 1st #5.
Say Chicago takes Tukonen at #3 and PHO takes Olesz at #5.
Olesz now belongs to CHI, and Tukonen to PHO.
What do you guys think?
I will even volunteer to get all the selections straightened out after the draft.

I like it because I don't know that much about the draft and probably wouldn't be able to do nine rounds of drafting very effectively. It also saves me the work of having to set up a thread to do the draft and regulating that as well as other personnel moves (plus the two other drafts I'm running). I'd prefer to do it this way, but what do you guys think?

Jon Burke

monster_bertuzzi said:
I voted no. Too confusing, and wheres the fun in that?

The fun is seeing your commish happy not to have to do way more work :)

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
I vote no - I want to draft... plus, I think the draft should be done in a chat room (HF chat would be fine) and not in a thread.

using a chat room for the draft, we would be able to finish the draft in a few hours... and as for the nine rounds go, I think we should only draft 4 rounds.

and for those of you that aren't familiar with this years draft eligible players - you can find a ton of info right there in the mock board and/or the prospect board... start doing some homework :D

Jon Burke

Maybe I should've made it a public poll so I could tell if any outsiders decided to vote. If you do, blast you *shakes fist*

So far it's four-two in favor.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Rat makes a good point, theres a mock draft going on right now that is 9 rounds deep of 2004 eligible players. So for those that are oblivious to the draft, just get off your ***'s and do some homework!

Jon Burke

monster_bertuzzi said:
Rat makes a good point, theres a mock draft going on right now that is 9 rounds deep of 2004 eligible players. So for those that are oblivious to the draft, just get off your ***'s and do some homework!

Don't call me lazy :)

rupispupis

Apr 26, 2004
Since we now have a couple of teams with like 6 1st rnd picks each, and for Calgary to avoid ending up with both Schwarz and Montoya - how about we do a manual 1st rnd, and the rest as stated above.

That's a compromise.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
rupispupis said:
Since we now have a couple of teams with like 6 1st rnd picks each, and for Calgary to avoid ending up with both Schwarz and Montoya - how about we do a manual 1st rnd, and the rest as stated above.

That's a compromise.

Why not do the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds manually, and the rest automatically?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
rupispupis said:

That's a compromise.

How about just doing Day 1 manully.

To the person who came up with using HFChat, what do you do for the people who aren't there?

dwaynester

May 10, 2004
Southwestern Ontario
that wont work either

i like the idea of just following the actual NHL draft. If we have a mock draft, I will not be taking part, as I am just too busy catching up with work. besides, as they say, it will take 6 weeks to complete.

What if you do a manual first, and the players you take arent taken yet in the real draft. The same player will then go twice.

Go with the actual NHL draft, and just assign the players to the teams. Sounds fair to me. If you want a full draft, PM me the trade offers for the rest of my picks

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Problem: Doing the 1st round manually then leaching off the real deal for the next 8 rounds means that some teams would end up with the same player.

Example:
If we do the 1st round as our own mock, and say Vancouver picks...oh I dont know, Evan Mcgrah at #26....then in real life Mcgrath gets picked in the 2nd round. It just wont work folks.

Jon Burke

monster_bertuzzi said:
Problem: Doing the 1st round manually then leaching off the real deal for the next 8 rounds means that some teams would end up with the same player.

Example:
If we do the 1st round as our own mock, and say Vancouver picks...oh I dont know, Evan Mcgrah at #26....then in real life Mcgrath gets picked in the 2nd round. It just wont work folks.

True that.

sketchykg

Nov 17, 2003
monster_bertuzzi said:

Example:

Easy fix. If in your case you take Mcgrath, and he really goes in the second round, you get a compensary 1st round pick in the 2005 draft. ;)

sketchykg

Nov 17, 2003
Seriously, though. We can do the draft after the actual draft and only pick players that went in the first round.

Desibasha

Mar 25, 2004
I duess we shud round 1-3 manually.....Some people may not be here at the chosen date of the draft (likely me if its saturday or sunday)...I think we shud start the draft thread...the rest of the drafts shud be automaticlly IMO....

With the 2nd overall...
With the 4th overall...
With the 6th overall...
With the 29th overall...
With the 30th overall...

more to come...Yeah Baby

BTW the Flames will also be put on FOR SALE for any GM to take over (But they have to SMART as me :teach: :joker: ) ...As I will be leaving for a 2 month vacation on the 28th :yo: :yo:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Use the real results after the first round because i worked hard to get the pick i have cause i have my eye on a few players i want to add to my prospect pool...as for the chance that we select someone in the first round that the NHL selects in the second...its a risk we should have to take and if somethingl like that happens you get a comp pick in that spot next year....simple as that.

rupispupis

Apr 26, 2004
sketchykg said:
Seriously, though. We can do the draft after the actual draft and only pick players that went in the first round.
That's exactly what I was thinking!!!
On Sunday, June 27th, We'll have a 1 rnd draft. There will be 30 players available (ones that were picked in the first rnd).
Yeah?!

rupispupis

Apr 26, 2004
Desibasha said:
I duess we shud round 1-3 manually.....Some people may not be here at the chosen date of the draft (likely me if its saturday or sunday)...I think we shud start the draft thread...the rest of the drafts shud be automaticlly IMO....

With the 2nd overall...
With the 4th overall...
With the 6th overall...
With the 29th overall...
With the 30th overall...

more to come...Yeah Baby

BTW the Flames will also be put on FOR SALE for any GM to take over (But they have to SMART as me :teach: :joker: ) ...As I will be leaving for a 2 month vacation on the 28th :yo: :yo:
I would be honored.
However, Fleury couldn't be the captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad