To Playoff Or Not Playoff, That Is The Question ...

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Okay, I'm staying positive and so assume the "Pause" ends w/ enough time left set up some sort of Cup tourney format.

Have seen a couple different ideas floated one or two even w/ the Hawks making the field.

So just asking what you HFawkers think? Yay? Nay? Okay? No way?!

If games restart by say ... mid April ...
My suggestion is all 31 clubs in, first 2 rounds 3 game series, 2nd two best of 5. SCF 7. Champs hoist Cup mid June same as usual ...

Rounds re seeded each bracket (by conference). 2020 draft order based on lottery among clubs eliminated ... i.e 1st round outs pick 1-15, 2nd 16-23 ...

Suggestion obviously needs tweaking but work w/ me here, 'eh?
As I say, I NEED hockey and ASAP don't want to accept 2019-20 season done.

How 1st round WC would look ...
STL gets Bye (I know BOS has points but reigning Champs get the pass. F/u Bruins. ;-))
COL - SJS
VGK - LAK
EDM - ANA
DAL - CHI
WPG - ARI
CGY - MIN
NSH - VAN
I like all these matchups ...

EC? Too lazy to do but assume some real good pairings as well ...
GoHawks.

Last edited:

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Mid-April isn't happening, in fact mid-May might be too soon as well. Here's what I think.

Eastern

upload_2020-3-16_17-29-13.png

Ranking the teams in the race for the WC, based on PT%
CAR - 59.56%
NYI - 58.82%
CBJ - 57.86%
NYR - 56.43%
TOR - 57.86%
FLA - 56.52%

I think the easiest thing is to have TOR and FLA have a series to get ATL-3, and have CAR vs. NYR and NYI vs. CBJ play for the 2 wild cards. While by right you should have the A3 series and then the loser should go into the WC play ins, that's a mess and the Leafs and Panthers are shit anyway, so screw them, you get your shot and that's it. These will all be 3 game series. Since there's no fans, just play at a neutral site, that will keep things moving.

Western

upload_2020-3-16_17-32-27.png

The West is way more messy. Flames and Canucks are practically tied for PAC-3. Perhaps you play 1 game or a 3 game series if there's enough time for that spot, and then the loser goes into a Wild Card round with WPG, NSH, and MIN. Or you let the Coyotes in and have 3 series like the East. Personally, I think the Hawks and Coyotes should be considered out at this point. Per MoneyPuck, the Coyotes have a 15% chance of getting in and the Hawks just 3.4%, so let's move on.

I think this system is pretty fair in making what's happened so far in the regular season matter but not continuing it any further.

From there, you could go to Best of 5s for the Conference Quarters and Semis, but I think they should play some back to backs and the rounds done in 10-11 days max.

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
Hey, if the hawks have a chance to get into the playoffs and, at the very least, maintain their current draft position, that's a huge win-win.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
I'm all for the Hawks being IN THE playoffs no matter the match up or scenario...but...if say the NHL decides to have 24 playoff teams, then that means only 7 teams get to participate in the draft lottery...right? My thoughts are if they play anymore regular season games to equal the playing field then a minimum season of 74 games must be played...a few teams have already either played 37 home or 37 road games(thus a 74 game season)...that leaves Chicago with 3 home and 1 road game left...and 6 pts back to start, pretty hard to clinch then...but I think the NHL if they do anything will go to a playoff without anymore regular season games...

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Bumpski boys. I'm still on it for mid-April.
Wishful thinking? Perhaps.
Then again, Hawks could be down 3 in the 3rd and I'm still thinking W.
GoHumanity.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Bumpski boys. I'm still on it for mid-April.
Wishful thinking? Perhaps.
Then again, Hawks could be down 3 in the 3rd and I'm still thinking W.
GoHumanity.
Mid-April? Not a chance.

Mid-May is a more reasonable target, but even that's probably a stretch.

Reactions: KWP

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Main board would have a meltdown never seen before. On top of a compliance buyout.

Cup, top 3 pick and a Seabrook compliance buyout.
This would even top 2010 ... almost!
Blues in 4
Avalanche in 5
Vegas in 6
and just for the fun of it ... Leafs in 7
Pick 2nd OA for Byfield
Seabs bought out and joins coaching.

Ahhhhhhhhhh ....

Reactions: KWP and Mrfenn92

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Sadly ... "... mid April" restart too optimistic ...
Tho - at the risk PO-ing a goodly number fellow HFawks - think the season stoppage an over reaction. *
Civil minds agreeing to disagree that, hopefully granted.
Stay safe, stay strong ...
GoHawks.

* - COVID-19 real, not saying otherwise; just that Bubonic Plague 2.0 reaction not holding up to data reported to date.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
Sadly ... "... mid April" restart too optimistic ...
Tho - at the risk PO-ing a goodly number fellow HFawks - think the season stoppage an over reaction. *
Civil minds agreeing to disagree that, hopefully granted.
Stay safe, stay strong ...
GoHawks.

* - COVID-19 real, not saying otherwise; just that Bubonic Plague 2.0 reaction not holding up to data reported to date.

no one is happy about this but undermining a virus that will have killed approximately the same amount of Americans in Vietnam in a month and a half is not an alarmist reaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: uncleben and kuzy

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
@DoorDr: Bud, you don't think it's safe enough go outside. don't; and I'll respect your decision, too.
But allow us please, those willing to accept the risk (after assessing it carefully & critically), go back to our livelihoods and lives outside of them.

And we're not trying to kill off Gramma either - she and all others at elevated risk stay indoors til - hopeful sooner rather than later - whatever level of safety acceptable.

Not trying to back & forth w/ you - a whole nother thread flooded w/ that - actually more than, main board its own ...
And the reason tried to steer clear of it (them.)

GoHawks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad