TNSE Efforts to Acquire an NHL Team Part X: Status... Complete???

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
A couple of questions, regarding how the NHL's administration of Phoenix affects things...
With the NHL owning and running the Coyotes
  • does the super-majority become 0.75 * 29 = 21.75 ==> 22 votes?
  • or does Bettman/Daly get to cast the "Phoenix vote" on behalf of the NHL?
Same idea...
  • does a simple majority become 15/29
  • or does Bettman/Daly get to cast the "Phoenix vote" on behalf of the NHL?

Every team needs a rep on the board of governors.

As best I can tell Don Maloney and Mike Nealy are the two alternate governors listed for the Yotes and since they have no primary governor (again, as best I can tell) one of them would cast the vote.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
The article is a little misleading. Unlike the GWI, which had a very real influence on the outcome of the Coyotes saga, Thin Ice was completely irrelevant to the process. For Silver to be trying to take credit for it now is completely dishonest. The Jets failed because the players involved decided the team was no longer viable in Winnipeg, not because of a gang of university professors and the flyers they handed out at council meetings.

Then why did their houses get egged?

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
The latest from Don Waddell: "Until an agreement is signed and approved by the board of governors, it’s never too late but they will have to move very quickly and decisively. Ownership still is committed to selling at a greatly reduced price to anyone committed to Atlanta."

ORLY??? ;)

I think they've crunched the numbers and realized that in the long run getting 41 dates of hockey with 15-16k in the stands with an owner paying rent is the best strategy, even if they don't make much off the sale.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010

Silver probably egged his own house to get attention.

Seriously. GWI used the threat of litigation to stop what they saw as an illegal subsidy under the AZ constitution and was quite successful at it. Thin Ice, while an extremely vocal opponent to what they saw as a misuse of tax dollars, had zero influence on the outcome. Nada. Zilch. Taking credit for what happened now is about as credible as me taking credit for a sunny day because I said I didn't like the rain.

We've already wasted more seconds discussing them than they deserve.

southpaw24

Dec 3, 2005
Owen Sound, ON

Silver probably egged his own house to get attention.

Seriously. GWI used the threat of litigation to stop what they saw as an illegal subsidy under the AZ constitution and was quite successful at it. Thin Ice, while an extremely vocal opponent to what they saw as a misuse of tax dollars, had zero influence on the outcome. Nada. Zilch. Taking credit for what happened now is about as credible as me taking credit for a sunny day because I said I didn't like the rain.

We've already wasted more seconds discussing them than they deserve.

Im guessing that he egged his house himself as well because we all know that if he actually had anything to do with the jets leaving getting his house egged would be a walk in the park compared to other things jets fans would do

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
the NHL wants to milk this thing for viewer ratings. Think of all the jets fans and thrashers fans who might tune into HNIC during the stanley cup playoffs just to hear news of the jets return to winnipeg.

if they annouce it now, those jets fans might not be too inlcine to watch boston and vancouver go at it.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The latest from Don Waddell: "Until an agreement is signed and approved by the board of governors, it’s never too late but they will have to move very quickly and decisively. Ownership still is committed to selling at a greatly reduced price to anyone committed to Atlanta."

ORLY??? ;)

I think they've crunched the numbers and realized that in the long run getting 41 dates of hockey with 15-16k in the stands with an owner paying rent is the best strategy, even if they don't make much off the sale.
25% percent off now.

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
the NHL wants to milk this thing for viewer ratings. Think of all the jets fans and thrashers fans who might tune into HNIC during the stanley cup playoffs just to hear news of the jets return to winnipeg.

if they annouce it now, those jets fans might not be too inlcine to watch boston and vancouver go at it.

Which Thrashers fans get CBC?

Dado

The League would also have several other options to encourage or compel ASG - including ASG's personal quarantees (similar to those under which the League is suing Moyes, not his estate, for $60M) and possible anti trust action against ASG based on the essential facilities doctrine.

Sure. Flip side is that personal guarantees are a better incentive when they aren't on the same scale as single-season losses. :) And that the team has a perfectly fine alternate arena to play in - it just happens to be in Winnipeg. :)

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
There isn't going to be an announcement until after the final.

This weekend is a holiday in the States. Tuesday is media day for the Final. I don't see them announcing it then as I would assume True North would want a big press conference in Winnipeg. I don't see them announcing it during the Final.

crazed323

Mar 6, 2011
Winnipeg
This started on twitter. "one or two posters"?

Yes one or two posters. Twitter is the biggest rumour monger out there, it's all about what you choose to run with. The vast majority of posters here know the difference between a legitimate concern or just plain desperation..

To hope that a deal won't be completed because of some short fall in negotiations or the BOG voting against a deal, is a huge long shot. Can they vote against it yea sure. Will they no, everyone knows it but a few still want to fan the flames on these boards.

Not sure what the motive is, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Edit: I will add that there is more of a hope in finding a local buyer than what I've mentioned in my post.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006

Yep. This from C-Viv, the guy Atlanta fans have absolutely skewered and Winnipeg radio has annoited with sainthood:

Don Waddell, “Along with all other groups who have expressed an interest in pursuing an ownership opportunity, which has happened as recently as earlier this week, we have said continuously that ‘until an agreement is signed and approved by the board of governors, it’s never too late but they will have to move very quickly and decisively. Ownership still is committed to selling at a greatly reduced price to anyone committed to Atlanta.’ ”

The potential suitor stepped forward Thursday and would be considered in the preliminary stages of interest. A great deal of work would need to be done, if proven a serious suitor, and time is an issue.

If it's Rollins that he's talking about, then it's probably just C-Viv trying to catch up to the media blitz and means nothing.

Have a pleasant weekend everyone, on both sides of the border. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

southpaw24

Dec 3, 2005
Owen Sound, ON
So when will we get the name of this mysterious suitor???

Will it be the group led by a former hockey player?
Will it be the group led by a former Atlanta baseball player?
Will it be the group led by someone in the film industry that most of us have never heard of before?
Will it be a rapper, who's most famous for two words? What? OOOOKAy?

a group of winners we have here :shakehead

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
I bet he has shoes

:laugh:

actually there is a rumor brewing that Tom Glavine and Stan Kasten might have Uncle Ted thinking twice about letting his creation fly the coop.

This isn't my rumor, just passing it along...I doubt this one too.

personally, I'm just entertained by all the back and forth. I've stopped taking any of it seriously....from either country.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Who knows what is fact at this point? We all thought the Coyotes were coming here remember, until Glendale ponied up another 25M to delay the move. For the longest time both parties said this is something that would NEVER happen. It was probably plan B all along, but letting negotiating parties know that isn't helpful to getting a deal done.

FWIW I think any potential buyer worth his salt and to be considered serious wouldn't jump in at this very very late stage. However, I see things the way my biased eyes want to, as do Thrasher fans.

We won't know for sure until a deal is done one way or the other.

I am growing very weary of all of this.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Yeah, things are starting to smell a little fishy. I mean, we're so close to this being done and over with, but yet so far. I still think the deal will get done, but things are starting to look a little off

Koss

This has to be the most screwed process I've everv seen in any league. Even if they save ATL will there be any fans left? And if the sale does finally close, there is only three months before training camp. How can Winnipeg properly prepare?

Last edited:

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
There isn't going to be an announcement until after the final.

This weekend is a holiday in the States. Tuesday is media day for the Final.

90% of the questions from the Canadian media to gary/daly will be about the thrashers/jets Its gonna be fun to watch them on the defensive and all pissy

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Uh, it's not rocket science.

They took an unpopular stance about the Jets. The Jets left, which pissed off/angered the fans. Some of the fans remembered their unpopular stance, and egged their houses.

A few fans being ticked at them =/= they were major players in the decision for the Jets to relocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->