TNSE Efforts to Acquire an NHL Team Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It would. You'd be in the same division you've been in, except you have to fly thousands of miles to play your divisional opponents 3 times a year. I'm sure the rest of the SE wouldn't be thrilled with having to haul ass up to Winnipeg 3 times a year either. Seeing as how each Eastern Conference team only sees the Western Conference once a year, some at home, some on the road...Winnipeg would be the only team they'd be flying up there for, outside of a brief road trip that might have them play other WC teams. Still, they'd have to get back to Wpg twice a year just to play THEM.

Awwww poor Eastern Conference teams!!!! They have to have a one season 'taste' of what it's like to be Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton :laugh:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It will be alot harder on winnipeg then the rest of the east.

It may be, but it won't really be any harder for Winnipeg than if they were in the West. Heading to FLA, Tampa, Washington, Philly on a roadie is no worse than Van, LA, SJ, ANA.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
It'll be some very long extended homestands and road trips. Which is why two schedules are needed... Winnipeg can't play in New Jersey on a Friday and then at home on a Sunday and then in Florida on Monday, so they can't actually play the same schedule Atlanta would.

I hope Winnipeg fans understand that the team might go a month between home games at points this season.

That's really not much different than what we get now in the AHL, they may also do what they do for the Moose, have a team come in for a 2-3 game series. That way alot of the travel is eliminated.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
It would. You'd be in the same division you've been in, except you have to fly thousands of miles to play your divisional opponents 3 times a year. I'm sure the rest of the SE wouldn't be thrilled with having to haul ass up to Winnipeg 3 times a year either. Seeing as how each Eastern Conference team only sees the Western Conference once a year, some at home, some on the road...Winnipeg would be the only team they'd be flying up there for, outside of a brief road trip that might have them play other WC teams. Still, they'd have to get back to Wpg twice a year just to play THEM.

They'd just be tacked on to road trips that are already happening anyway. Visiting calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver? Tack on a game in Winnipeg at the beginning and end of the trip. Hitting up the Chicago/Minnesota? You fly two extra hours from St. Paul and you're in Winnipeg. There's your three games in Winnipeg without any egregiously extra travel time :nod:

Lux Aurumque*

quess this confrims that the NHL is minor league afterall

Or maybe that the NHL is sick of losing so much money in failing markets. They recognize that Winnipeg is a market with vast potential, and owners with very deep pockets. Winnipeg is the perfect choice, and a much better option than Atlanta or Phoenix.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Hey where is J99 during all of this? I want to hear more on his theory that there is less than a 1% chance that Winnipeg gets a team.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Your joking right?:nod:

"deep pocket" that still need government assistance! lol!

Your going to learn very quickly that this place is a baptism by fire.

The Winnipeg team is receiving no more government assistance then the majority of NHL teams.

Hey where is J99 during all of this? I want to hear more on his theory that there is less than a 1% chance that Winnipeg gets a team.

He's busy walking his dog in women's clothing?

Don't tell me you guys missed that remark...

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg

X2

What about those people who laughed when the Phoenix then Atlanta theory was brought up? Boy, were we wrong..... :laugh:

AugustBurnsRed*

So why is everybody convinced this ticket drive will happen anyways? It's not required.

Tinalera

Feb 3, 2007
The Known Universe
Your going to learn very quickly that this place is a baptism by fire.

The Winnipeg team is receiving no more government assistance then the majority of NHL teams.

He's busy walking his dog in women's clothing?

Don't tell me you guys missed that remark...

I do remember that remark! I also remember how deftly he worded-he didn't say HE would be wearing the women's clothing, but was worded in a way that his DOG could be wearing women's clothing-it was a rather deft wording I must say. ;)

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Getting back on topic [mod] I hear tomorrow is out as far as an announcement goes, and that Sunday saw significant progress in talks between ASG and TNSE. Sounds promising......

(OT-damned Lighting...)

Last edited by a moderator:

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.

There are only a handful of NHL teams in the USA that did not have their arenas built largely if not 100% with government financial assistance. Some of those arena deals are very 'sweet' indeed and amount to heavy tax payer subsidization of the NHL team.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but public-private partnerships with at least some "government assistance" are par for the course in today's NHL. The arena deals and other subsidies range from the "reasonable" to "outrageous" in my view. Having said that, we don't know what type of government assistance, if any, beyond the $40MM already provided for MTS Centre, a Winnipeg team would get since no such deal has been announced.

Your comment is all sour grapes and nothing more.

GHOST

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
i wonder if we end up getting a team if we can make it a yearly exhibition game with the Minnesota Wild in grand forks for the people of North Dakota

Lux Aurumque*

The Manitoba government has already crushed those rumors. The government will not finance the hockey team. They will assist with arena renovations, as those are a part of infrastructure, but that's it. TNSE would have to be fools to turn down an offer like that.

David Thomson is the richest man in Canada, and the 17th richest man in the world. You wanna doubt that he's got deep pockets? The man is worth $23 billion ($16 billion more than Philip Anschutz (Kings), the second richest owner), making him the richest owner in the NHL by far. Not to mention, he controls a good chunk of Canada's media. He can market a team better than anyone else could.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chief Ten Bears*

Rest up fellas, going to be another all nighter at Portage and Main come Wed night...

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
i wonder if we end up getting a team if we can make it a yearly exhibition game with the Minnesota Wild in grand forks for the people of North Dakota

Why not play the Flames at Philips Arena? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->