TNSE Efforts to Acquire an NHL Team Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Ten Bears*

And don't forget it will be "Breaking News" with Bob McKenzie or Dreger saying they got the scoop.

Oh yeah! "See, we were right. We are insiders. I can show you the contacts on my blackberry"

Hey, whatever helps Mackenzie and Dreger sleep at night I guess. I don't think Dreger is welcome at the MTS Centre, thats for sure. I believe not 3 months ago he was dribbling on about Winnipeg have to settle for the Moose for 5 years minimum, etc. Only to do a 180 a couple days later.

I don't know how anyone takes him seriously.

hydromel

Sep 12, 2005
shut it
Talks are off between John Moores (formerly of the SD Padres) and Atlanta Spirit for the Hawks and Philips.

People can now bid on all three again, which they couldn't do under the exclusivity.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/spirit-ends-exclusivity-on-955049.html

I think it was a ruse by ASG to split off the Thrashers and sell them to True North. Now that that deal is done they can end the 'exclusivity' thing and decide to 'hang on to' Philips and the Hawks for a bit longer.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
You see - this is what happens when you bring Roman Numerals into things.

If somehow local options magically reappear, the League denies relocation, and this soap opera continues - you can all blame danishh :) .

:laugh:

And Danishh punishment will be to serve his/her namesake once a week to all HF board members until everything is resolved ;)

On topic, I too think that there was some fishy business here, now that the Thrashers are just about moved "oh, we'll just hold on to the basketball team" (noting this year the NBA could be headed for lockout).

It would be unfortunate if it was all posing just to get rid of the Thrashers.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I think it was a ruse by ASG to split off the Thrashers and sell them to True North. Now that that deal is done they can end the 'exclusivity' thing and decide to 'hang on to' Philips and the Hawks for a bit longer.

And it looks like it worked:

The last-ditch effort for a buyer willing to keep the team in Atlanta appears to have expired. I’m told that “probably, but not completely†the one final prospective buyer is now out of the picture.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrash...last-buyer-to-keep-team-in-atlanta-likely-out

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
When the move is announced, will they do it alongside the re-alignment. Would prefer it to be this week, get it over and done with.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
Talks are off between John Moores (formerly of the SD Padres) and Atlanta Spirit for the Hawks and Philips.

People can now bid on all three again, which they couldn't do under the exclusivity.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/spirit-ends-exclusivity-on-955049.html

So the ASG would walk away from $100mm in their pockets for by far the worst of the three assets just on the off chance that someone down the road might want all three - something nobody has expressed any serious interest in doing up to this point?

Uh, no. The Thrashers are 100% gone, as in never coming back. Ever.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Unless it is TNSE and/or the NHL calling for the presser on Wednesday I don't buy it. Look at what has happened in the last even month... any idiot with a computer spouts **** off and people buy it

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
That'll be a nightmare for Winnipeg, travelling to the likes of Carolina and Florida so often.

Welcome to the Western Conference, here's your ridiculous travel schedule. You get to go through Hell Week since you're the new guy.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
That'll be a nightmare for Winnipeg, travelling to the likes of Carolina and Florida so often.

true
but it is great for the fans
Ovy, Stamkos, Staal, Skinner will all be here 3 times as well as the rest of the great eastern conference players (Crosby, Malkin, etc) will be here at least once or twice (providing everyone is healthy that is!)

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
true
but it is great for the fans
Ovy, Stamkos, Staal, Skinner will all be here 3 times as well as the rest of the great eastern conference players (Crosby, Malkin, etc) will be here at least once or twice (providing everyone is healthy that is!)

That's the only compromise really, gives Atlanta fans another season to see hockey relatively near by as well, sort of.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
From what all the analysts are saying this year there will be no re-alignment. Apparently that will be on the agenda for next season :shakehead
It's been said that the NHL is making a schedule for if the Thrashers stay or go to Winnipeg. If there was no re-alignment, then why bother with the second schedule? With no re-alignment, Winnipeg is just "replacing" Atlanta and would get their games. So surely they're changing the divisions

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago

It'll be some very long extended homestands and road trips. Which is why two schedules are needed... Winnipeg can't play in New Jersey on a Friday and then at home on a Sunday and then in Florida on Monday, so they can't actually play the same schedule Atlanta would.

I hope Winnipeg fans understand that the team might go a month between home games at points this season.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
It's been said that the NHL is making a schedule for if the Thrashers stay or go to Winnipeg. If there was no re-alignment, then why bother with the second schedule? With no re-alignment, Winnipeg is just "replacing" Atlanta and would get their games. So surely they're changing the divisions

different arena dates that could be/are open due to concerts, etc.

Retail1LO*

When the move is announced, will they do it alongside the re-alignment. Would prefer it to be this week, get it over and done with.

I imagine they'd have to. As vital to the schedule-making process as whether this team is playing in Winnipeg or Atlanta, is need for divisions to be settled as it impacts who plays who and how many times, across the entire league.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago

unless they want to really **** TNSE over by having them play, say, a home game on a Saturday and then a divisional game in Tampa the next evening, the schedules need to be different for Winnipeg to be in the SE.

Can you imagine the cost and the physical toll just playing Atlanta's schedule would take? Take a look at this: http://thrashers.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm and then imagine all the home games are a 2.5-4 hour flight away from 90% of the road games.

Retail1LO*

It would. You'd be in the same division you've been in, except you have to fly thousands of miles to play your divisional opponents 3 times a year. I'm sure the rest of the SE wouldn't be thrilled with having to haul ass up to Winnipeg 3 times a year either. Seeing as how each Eastern Conference team only sees the Western Conference once a year, some at home, some on the road...Winnipeg would be the only team they'd be flying up there for, outside of a brief road trip that might have them play other WC teams. Still, they'd have to get back to Wpg twice a year just to play THEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->