TNSE Efforts to Acquire an NHL Team Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Wow is this sale even going to happen? Come ON!!

You just had one of the Thrashers owners come out and exactly where the deal is (80% done) and when he expects it to be completed (next week). What exactly is making you so impatient?

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
Gearon's flippant statement that he doesn't know anything about hockey damages the reputation/image of the league on many levels. Bettman is going to make this as painful as possible for ASG if it happens.

It's also odd that ASG is saying that if they just had two or three partners step up with $5m that the team would stay. Um, Tom Glavine could buy that himself...but he doesn't want to work with ASG. He HATES them.

That's the problem. With all the corporations in Atlanta, there ARE plenty that would buy the team or be a part of it. No one in their right mind would be in Atlanta Spirit's arena or be part of their group...these guys sue each other, and they can't read a contract correctly.

Bettman's wrong to say hockey in Atlanta depends on someone wanting to own the team, it depends upon someone wanting to deal with Atlanta Spirit. If Atlanta Spirit was trying to unload The Falcons, not the Thrashers, they'd have the same problem: no body would want to play in their Georgia Dome, or nobody would want to be part of their ownership group.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
You just had one of the Thrashers owners come out and exactly where the deal is (80% done) and when he expects it to be completed (next week). What exactly is making you so impatient?
I saw on the ticker yesterday that the deal was not completed, that's all. I just want this to be over.
Bettman comments today.....

"Maybe at some point there will be a deal, maybe there will never be a deal"

"I'm not in Winnipeg," Bettman said to clarify. "I haven't been in Winnipeg.

We respect the importance of Atlanta as a city. It's a big market, but this is a franchise that's got a problem in that market."

But the issue, if there's a problem that's unsolvable, despite the grass roots hockey, despite all of the corporate headquarters, is there somebody, if it gets to this point where the current owners don't want to own it anymore, is there somebody who wants to own this franchise in Atlanta?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=563978

I just have this bad feeling that there will be a stalemate Brodie.

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
Gearon's flippant statement that he doesn't know anything about hockey damages the reputation/image of the league on many levels.

I doubt he really cares if he's a part of losing $20 million per year.

Bettman is going to make this as painful as possible for ASG if it happens.

What's he going to do?

It's also odd that ASG is saying that if they just had two or three partners step up with $5m that the team would stay. Um, Tom Glavine could buy that himself...but he doesn't want to work with ASG. He HATES them.

Then he won't buy into the team.

That's the problem. With all the corporations in Atlanta, there ARE plenty that would buy the team or be a part of it. No one in their right mind would be in Atlanta Spirit's arena or be part of their group.

Well, they own the only capable arena in town. So a person can either buy it from them or has to work with them. And the city's not going to build another.

Bettman's wrong to say hockey in Atlanta depends on someone wanting to own the team, it depends upon someone wanting to deal with Atlanta Spirit.

This is a fundamental lack of understanding about how business works. If you're going to be in an exclusive enterprise, which at this level with multi millions of dollars it is exclusive as there's only a limited number of people with the capital to operate in that environment, you're not always going to be business partners with nice people. I'm sure Jerry Jones is an egotistical *******, but if you want to do business with the Cowboys, you have to put up with him.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
Gearon says the deal is 80% done? So what? Nothing this guy says is trustworthy. He's just trying to push things along so Bettman is forced to give in. All of the leaks are coming from Gearon and Levenson, not TNSE.

Again, these jokers at ASG couldn't read their contracts correctly when they bought the team, and that's why they were in court for years. They also bought the team improperly, leading David McDavid to be successful in a challenge against Turner (settling for a huge sum out of court).

When Gearon says something is 80% done, that means it's 20-60% done. And shame on the media for playing "Operator" and spreading Gearon's half-truths around.

All we know is, ASG wants to sell and TSNE wants to buy. The 80% done figure should not be taken at face value. I think The Thrashers in Atlanta are toast, but I don't believe that it is going down as ASG wants us to believe that it is. They're making up all kinds of lies about the fan base and lack of support.

IF ASG REALLY WANTED TO SELL TO A LOCAL INVESTOR, YOU WOULD THINK THEY'D HAVE GOOD THINGS TO SAY ABOUT THE POTENTIAL OF THE FANBASE, BUT ALL THEY CAN DO IS SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT IT.

Rj, it's not about Atlanta Spirit having bad personalities or being bad/unlikeable people, its about them being bad business men...that's why nobody wants to work with them. Levenson has a very unorthodox company of his own that is run in a very free-form spartan way. It doesn't work in the sports world. It's not that people think they are unlikeable, its that nobody trusts them.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Bettman comments today.....

1. "Maybe at some point there will be a deal, maybe there will never be a deal"

2. But the issue, if there's a problem that's unsolvable, despite the grass roots hockey, despite all of the corporate headquarters, is there somebody, if it gets to this point where the current owners don't want to own it anymore, is there somebody who wants to own this franchise in Atlanta?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=563978
1. At this point, it makes no sense for Bettman to not publically admit that things are more than just a "maybe". This deal is already at least a "probable", if not a certainty, and everyone by now knows that. Especially for a lawyer there are certainly much more accurate ways to portray the current situation without acting against anyone's interests.

2. And what's with the "if"? Jeez, he can't even admit that the current owners don't want to own the team anymore, when there is all kinds of evidence of that.

It's no wonder that this guy infuriates people.

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
Rj, it's not about Atlanta Spirit having bad personalities or being bad/unlikeable people, its about them being bad business men...

wirtzrip.jpg

Levenson has a very unorthodox company of his own that is run in a very free-form spartan way. It doesn't work in the sports world.

steinbrenner.jpg

It's not that people think they are unlikeable, its that nobody trusts them.

Then those people won't work with them, but newsflash: they're the only game in town whether you like it or not and are the only avenue for the Thrashers to stay unless someone buys all of ASG's properties. Gary Bettman and the rest of the NHL cannot force Atlanta Spirit Group to do anything when it comes to Philips Arena and the Atlanta Hawks because that is outside his and the league's purview.

If there's a stalemate and ASG is stuck with the team another year, you're about to see the firesale of firesales as ASG will be at the cap floor and cut other spending will pass an internal edict that "the Thrashers are to at a minimum break even". Which to be honest, should be the goal for all NHL teams to break even. Teams that lose millions of dollars year after year are living in an unsustainable fantasy world, especially now that franchise values appear to have stopped appreciating large amounts for the big four sports leagues. If it's not possible for a franchise to break even as they put out a serviceable lineup on the ice, than that franchise needs to be questioned.

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I just have this bad feeling that there will be a stalemate Brodie.

What about Bettman's comments make you think anything has changed? He just said a bunch of vague things in lawyer speak which can be interpreted any way you want them to be. If anything, I'd say it looks worse for Atlanta now than it did 24 hours ago.

RandR

May 15, 2011
He just said a bunch of vague things in lawyer speak which can be interpreted any way you want them to be.
Indeed.

And this is part of the problem. Even though he is a lawyer, he isn't making public comments outside a courtroom. I know he reports to the BOG and not the public, but as commissioner of a sports league a major part of his job is public relations. How does he expect fans and sponsors who ultimately provide this guy with a high-paying job to trust a word he says when he talks like this?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Shaw and MTS won't be bidding on broadcast rights, they are the pipe only not the content. Global (owned by Shaw) and CityTV would be the only over the air companies conceivably bidding (I don't see CTV going after it now that they are corporate owned rather than Moffat), but it'll be Sportsnet regional that gets the rights in my view.

As for radio, it will be interesting to see if CFRW or CJOB emerges from that fight to the death with the rights. My guess is CFRW will sell the farm to get the first contract with the team.
Both stations will likely have pre- and post-game shows, as was the case for the period when CKY had PBP rights. For TV, now-a-days those always go cable so it is likely SportsNet.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. There seems to be some kind of expectation among some people that Winnipeg needs to be a top-5 revenue generator for the League and that anything less is a spectacular failure or something. Winnipeg offers some decent middle-of-the-road stability and quality reliable ownership, which is exactly what the League needs right now.
Winnipeg would likely rank below the 6 Canadian teams and in the middle of the US teams.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Perhaps now that Bettman KNOWS that half of ASG wants to sell all three, he's going to do what he can to force them to take that offer if it comes. Which it hasn't :(

How does the league go about making them take an offer?

tumblr_kxe3n0y1n61qztjn5o1_500.png

C'mon, take the offer .... I'll be your friend .... aw, you're mean!

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
How does the league go about making them take an offer?

The NHL BoG could not pass the vote the relocation/sale to TSNE down on the basis of the arena and market size.

I am not saying that the preceding will happen. It is just a what the NHL "could" do, if so inclined.

Also. great Simpsons reference. I'm watching Jose Canseco haul a washer and dryer out of a burning building as I type this.

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
Indeed.

And this is part of the problem. Even though he is a lawyer, he isn't making public comments outside a courtroom. I know he reports to the BOG and not the public, but as commissioner of a sports league a major part of his job is public relations. How does he expect fans and sponsors who ultimately provide this guy with a high-paying job to trust a word he says when he talks like this?

His PR is he makes certain he leaves himself an out on everything and to not say anything definitive. :laugh:

Sponsors probably understand because they do the same thing. "Never complain, never explain."

RandR

May 15, 2011
i dont think that is case here....i know lots of people who like both....the CFL still has a television ratings edge nationally....

i think the return of the NHL will help the bombers....their $500 season ticket packages will look like a bargain....they are popular with young people who wont be able to choke up $4000 for NHL seats.....the CFL will benefit from the money flowing for sports entertainment in my opinion.
I largely agree with you, but on the counter side, part of sports is competing for front page of the sports section and first item in the local TV sports wrapup at night. In pre-Crosby days at least (probably still true today), the Penguins consistently showed an uptick in ticket sales once the football Steelers were done their season. And in Toronto, there is no doubt that Blue Jay ticket sales are impacted in April/May when the Leafs actually make the playoffs.

In this case, the Blue Bombers season is well under way by the time the NHL regular season starts, but I can imagine a lot of people deciding not to go to Blue Bomber games in October because the new NHL season takes over as the talk of the town. This may be especially true for a league that relies so much on day-game ticket sales.

FWIW, I much prefer the CFL game to the NFL, but I lost a lot in interest in the CFL when Ottawa lost its team.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
The NHL BoG could not pass the vote the relocation/sale to TSNE down on the basis of the arena and market size.

I am not saying that the preceding will happen. It is just a what the NHL "could" do, if so inclined.

Also. great Simpsons reference. I'm watching Jose Canseco haul a washer and dryer out of a burning building as I type this.

When the NHL needed leaverage in Glendale they called TNSE's offer for the Coyotes legitimate.

The BOG wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they voted against TNSE now.

It's a rubber stamp.

Koss

When the NHL needed leaverage in Glendale they called TNSE's offer for the Coyotes legitimate.

It's a rubber stamp.

Unless they have been using TNSE all along to get what they need to salvage the southern teams. I mean, we can defenalty make the case that Winnipeg was very useful leverage to get an additional $25M from Glendale. Here we are a month later and has anyone heard from Matt H? Is the NHL going to go into another season owning a franchise in the desert? I guess it's okay from their point of view if they don't have to pay for it.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Unless they have been using TNSE all along to get what they need to salvage the southern teams. I mean, we can defenalty make the case that Winnipeg was very useful leverage to get an additional $25M from Glendale. Here we are a month later and has anyone heard from Matt H? Is the NHL going to go into another season owning a franchise in the desert? I guess it's okay from their point of view if they don't have to pay for it.

Who exactly do you think the NHL is dealing with in TNSE? Chumps?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I guess Bettman is going to teach us Canadian fans once and for all that we have to learn our place in supporting the NHL.

Maybe its time Bettman was taught a lesson and stop taking the fans for granted.

I said this before.... even though I want a team in Winnipeg, part of me would love to see TNSE walk away from this deal for whatever reason, and have the Thrashers stay in Atlanta, but also have ASG walk away from the team. That way the NHL would be forced to run the Thrashers and cover all the losses.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

It's a rubber stamp.

Just because it is a legitamite offer doesn't mean they have to rubber stamp it.

But all I am saying is that, if the NHL choose to, they could vote against the relocation to Winnipeg.

If they choose to. Assuming it gets to that point, they will in all likelihood vote for the relocation.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Just because it is a legitamite offer doesn't mean they have to rubber stamp it.

But all I am saying is that, if the NHL choose to, they could vote against the relocation to Winnipeg.

If they choose to. Assuming it gets to that point, they will in all likelihood vote for the relocation.

If the BoG doesn't approve TNSE or turns down the relocation, it will likely be a PR disaster for the NHL in Canada. It is one thing for the deal to fall through, it is another for the NHL to deny it from happening.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Potential Thrashers buyer Rollins comes forward to Fox 5

http://www.examiner.com/atlanta-thr...hrashers-buyer-rollins-comes-forward-to-fox-5

Buck Lanford of Fox 5 News took a trip down to Alabama to interview filmmaker Stephen Rollins, who told Lanford that he was interested in taking the team off of Michael Gearon and Bruce Levenson’s hands.

“If i could speak to the Spirit group, I would just say, ‘Please exhaust every option you have to keep the team in Atlanta’,†Rollins said. “We'd love to talk if there's a solution that we can come to.â€

Although Rollins did not say it on camera, yet, Fox 5 Sports anchor Ken Rodriguez said that Rollins claims that the Thrashers weren’t acting in good faith. Commissioner Gary Bettman indicated that Michael Gearon and Bruce Levenson were acting in good faith on his radio show on Thursday.

“There has been a fairly well known investment banking firm called Raine trying to qualify motivated buyers,†the NHL Commissioner claimed. “They've been having a tough time with it. This isn't an ownership group that has been ignoring bona fide groups looking to buy the (Thrashers).â€

:shakehead

So buyers are saying ASG isn't giving them a fair shake, yet Bettman says they are. Who to believe?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
If the BoG doesn't approve TNSE or turns down the relocation, it will likely be a PR disaster for the NHL in Canada. It is one thing for the deal to fall through, it is another for the NHL to deny it from happening.
If the NHL gave a damn, that would happen. But Canadians will still watch and go to the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad