TNSE Efforts to Acquire an NHL Team Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retail1LO*

The Minnesota North Stars retired #19 for Bill Masterton and the #8 for Bill Goldsworthy which remain retired in Dallas. After the move to Stars also retired the #7 for Neal Broten who played in both Minnesota and Dallas.

So again, the North Stars retired 19 and 8, but they didn't translate to Dallas. Dallas retired 7 for a player that at least played in Dallas. Ok. See? This makes sense. But if Dallas came out today and retired a number for someone that never played in a Dallas uniform, like say, Dave Gagner, Ulf Dahlen, etc., then it'd make absolutely no sense. No one in Dallas give a rats ass about someone that never played for them. Nor should they. I know if I was a Dallas Stars player and I had to change my number because they were retiring it in the name of someone that never played for the team in its current location, I'd be irate.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
When they brought football back to Cleveland, they brought them back as the Browns...and rightfully so.

Only because there was a legal settlement between the team, the city of Cleveland, and the NFL when Art Model moved the Browns in '96.

The NFL committed a new team to Cleveland after a new stadium was built, the Browns gave up all rights to the name, trademarks & history and transferred those to the NFL, and the city dropped planned lawsuits against the NFL and Modell.

That is the only example I can think of where a team adopted the name & identity of a defunct franchise when returning to a city. And no, Ottawa doesn't count - that's just team marketing leeching off a long forgotten defunct franchise.

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Did the Dallas Stars, Carolina Hurricanes, or Colorado Avalanche bring over any retired numbers with them from their former digs? Just curious. Also...were Steen and Hawerchuk's numbers retired prior to the teams arrival in Phoenix, or prior?

Stars did, Hurricanes didn't (except Gordie Howe). Steen's number was retired in Winnipeg but Hawerchuk's was retired in Phoenix.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Couldn't they do what the NFL did and just transfer the history/stats to the "new" team in Winnipeg?

That was the result of of a lawsuit and it happened before the team even officially moved. Maybe the NHL could arrange a "history sharing" thing like the NBA did for OKC and any future Seattle franchise.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
There's local murmurings in Atlanta by a few people with connections in the sports talk radio industry that another Atlanta party has joined in the fray. Nothing concrete or credible yet, but hope grows with each passing day.

At this stage of the game, despite what they say publicly, there is no way the NHL is giving up $60 million in relocation fees.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
So, when do people reckon something will be announced to conclude that they will be moving?

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Only because there was a legal settlement between the team, the city of Cleveland, and the NFL when Art Model moved the Browns in '96.

The NFL committed a new team to Cleveland after a new stadium was built, the Browns gave up all rights to the name, trademarks & history and transferred those to the NFL, and the city dropped planned lawsuits against the NFL and Modell.

The legal behind the scenes was even more complex... the Ravens were issued an entirely new franchise while the Browns simply went inactive for three years.

Bobster231*

It will be announced this week.

Mark my words.

Anyone who thinks June is out to lunch. The BOG does not have to wait until the June meetings to approve this and they won't. Take that to the bank

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
^yeah....my guess is wednesday....just so brunt wasn't right.

followed by a few days of ticket sales....BOG approval shortly thereafter.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
A "franchise" is a fictional entity, like a corporation. In many situations, ownership has changed hands possibly several times and names are no longer in use.

In that case, the legacy of a franchise (history, logos, etc.) should rightfully belong to the fan base that supported them and became attached. The notion that the Jets' legacy should rightfully belong to the Phoenix Coyotes is repugnant to my morality.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Ehhh..when the Whalers left for Carolina in 97, they left all of the Hartford Whalers banners in the rafters of the Hartford Civic Center. They're still there to this day as far as I know. I hope they always leave them there...

IMO they did the right thing. Carolina has no rights to what that franchise achieved while in Hartford. If, someday in the future, the NHL returns to Hartford, hopefully they can restore the name Whalers. I hate to think just because a team relocates, that their name can't be used again in that city for another NHL team.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
In that case, the legacy of a franchise (history, logos, etc.) should rightfully belong to the fan base that supported them and became attached. The notion that the Jets' legacy should rightfully belong to the Phoenix Coyotes is repugnant to my morality.

Thanks for stating that.

So true.

:nod:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I've never been in the midst of a relocation or move so, would the new Winnipeg team get the Atlanta roster as it is? Would players have an option of opting out aswell going on the free agency?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
The legal behind the scenes was even more complex... the Ravens were issued an entirely new franchise while the Browns simply went inactive for three years.

I'm aware of the history, but it is still unclear technically which is an expansion club - the Baltimore Ravens or the new Cleveland Browns.

Wiki seems to be the only source I've found claiming that the Browns were de-activated for three years and that the Ravens were a new Franchise - although that claim is not substantiated with any links.

Given that the accounts of the deal brokered with Cleveland all talk about the replacement Browns being either an expansion team or a relocated team - several teams used the threat of moving to Cleveland to get new stadium deals at home - I think it is more likely that the Browns are the expansion team, with the rights to name, history, and trademarks transferred from the NFL, and that the Ravens are the continuation of Browns as a legal entity, having just foregone certain rights under the deal brokered with the NFL and Cleveland.

Of course, all this history is completely moot w.r.t. the Jets and Winnipeg. No comparable deal was negotiated between the Coyotes, Winnipeg, and the NHL in 1996.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Talks are off between John Moores (formerly of the SD Padres) and Atlanta Spirit for the Hawks and Philips.

People can now bid on all three again, which they couldn't do under the exclusivity.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/spirit-ends-exclusivity-on-955049.html

Yes, but..

The Spirit says no qualified buyer -- a buyer with the documented financial ability to complete a deal –- has expressed serious interest in buying the Hawks, Thrashers and Philips Arena operating rights as a package. The group bought all three entities from Time Warner in 2004.

That would imply #thebalkan to be all talk, no?

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
Will Portage and Main be shutdown tomorrow with the Press Conference?

On a postive note it will be Sunny tomorrow.

Chief Ten Bears*

^yeah....my guess is wednesday....just so brunt wasn't right.

followed by a few days of ticket sales....BOG approval shortly thereafter.

I think Brunt probably had the day correct.... But it will be Wednesday now.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Talks are off between John Moores (formerly of the SD Padres) and Atlanta Spirit for the Hawks and Philips.

People can now bid on all three again, which they couldn't do under the exclusivity.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/spirit-ends-exclusivity-on-955049.html

You see - this is what happens when you bring Roman Numerals into things.

If somehow local options magically reappear, the League denies relocation, and this soap opera continues - you can all blame danishh :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad