TNSE Efforts to Acquire an NHL Team Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If you're TNSE I'd say getting the Jets logos, names and history back could well be worth upward of 10 million dollars. We all know everyone is itching to buy Jets gear, not Moose, not Falcons gear. The value of brand recognition is universally known as well.

The parties should be able to work out a deal.

Retail1LO*

Id say that this is a Winnipeg/TNSE thread. Where is should only be about TNSE the potential deal betwee ASG and TNSE and Winnipeg NHL team discussions.

If people want to talk about Atlanta/fans/other irrelevant stuff they can start another thread

LOL @ Atlanta/fans/other irrelevant stuff. I see what you did there.

chipper

Thrashers forever
Feb 4, 2010
There's local murmurings in Atlanta by a few people with connections in the sports talk radio industry that another Atlanta party has joined in the fray. Nothing concrete or credible yet, but hope grows with each passing day.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
If you're TNSE I'd say getting the Jets logos, names and history back could well be worth upward of 10 million dollars. We all know everyone is itching to buy Jets gear, not Moose, not Falcons gear. The value of brand recognition is universally known as well.

Well, TNSE is reportedly going to be paying an unprecedented $60 million "relocation fee"... the least the league could do is throw in the rights for free.

Retail1LO*

There's local murmurings in Atlanta by a few people with connections in the sports talk radio industry that another Atlanta party has joined in the fray. Nothing concrete or credible yet, but hope grows with each passing day.

Hope GROWS with each passing day?

Where'd this rush of newfound optimism spring forth from?

And hey...I thought the term "fray" suggested a situation in which there were multiple people/parties involved. Does one tire-kicker constitute a fray?

My guess is it's the Balkan's 15th cousin, 8 times removed on his sister's husband's brother's other mother's side.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I dont get it how is the Jets history part of the coyote's when the coyote's have no legal ties to the Jets?

Why would you say that the Coyotes have no leagal ties to the Jets. The Winnipeg Jets moved to Phoenix and changed their name. They're the same team.

Perhaps you're mixing up the fact that the Coyotes don't own the Jets name and logo (they belong to the NHL).

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Or maybe they simply don't want them. Maybe they don't want to connect themselves to a team that was only in the NHL because the NHL owners weren't patient enough to wait for the WHA to die completely. Maybe they'd rather not associate themseleves with a team that was, in many ways (especially due to the Hull signing) the face of an enemy league. Maybe they don't want to be seen as the continuation of a team that many consider to have failed. Maybe they don't want to try and cash in on a legacy that belongs to another team. Or maybe they simply never liked the name Jets.

Retail1LO*

Why would you say that the Coyotes have no leagal ties to the Jets. The Winnipeg Jets moved to Phoenix and changed their name. They're the same team.

Perhaps you're mixing up the fact that the Coyotes don't own the Jets name and logo (they belong to the NHL).

I just think it's funny seeing names of former Jets players hanging from the Phoenix rafters. As if Coyotes fans give a flying **** about Dale Hawerchuk, Thomas Steen, or anything related to the team prior to its arrival.

I've never believed in transferring retired numbers, records, etc., with a team when it moves. Different name, different environment, different division...different everything. I'm all about honoring this history of a game, but dragging it around behind you as you rename it, just seems to lose some steam.

Did the Dallas Stars, Carolina Hurricanes, or Colorado Avalanche bring over any retired numbers with them from their former digs? Just curious. Also...were Steen and Hawerchuk's numbers retired prior to the teams arrival in Phoenix, or prior?

Retail1LO*

Or maybe they simply don't want them. Maybe they don't want to connect themselves to a team that was only in the NHL because the NHL owners weren't patient enough to wait for the WHA to die completely. Maybe they'd rather not associate themseleves with a team that was, in many ways (especially due to the Hull signing) the face of an enemy league. Maybe they don't want to be seen as the continuation of a team that many consider to have failed. Maybe they don't want to try and cash in on a legacy that belongs to another team. Or maybe they simply never liked the name Jets.

And absolutely none of these mean anything to the fans, who matter most. I'm sure this is best suited for discussion in the Winnipeg name game thread...but failing to cash in on what is already an ridiculously well known name and tradition in Winnipeg, would be foolish. I know very little, but there are more than a few marketing gurus that have said the same. If the people of Winnipeg were burning their Jets gear, it'd be different. But as it stands, everything Jet related that isn't bolted to the ground is flying off the shelves. The best thing the new owners of a Winnipeg franchise could do, is give back what these people lost. Some people don't get this, and never will. Winnipeg didn't lose NHL hockey. They lost the Jets. It might sound one and the same, but if you don't understand that, then you probably just don't get how much the team meant to a small city of 750K (and I'm sure it was less than that over a decade ago).

It'd be like bringing a team back to Green Bay in the NFL and not calling them the Packers. It'd be absolutely ludicrous.

When they brought football back to Cleveland, they brought them back as the Browns...and rightfully so.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
I just think it's funny seeing names of former Jets players hanging from the Phoenix rafters. As if Coyotes fans give a flying **** about Dale Hawerchuk, Thomas Steen, or anything related to the team prior to its arrival.

I've never believed in transferring retired numbers, records, etc., with a team when it moves. Different name, different environment, different division...different everything. I'm all about honoring this history of a game, but dragging it around behind you as you rename it, just seems to lose some steam.

Did the Dallas Stars, Carolina Hurricanes, or Colorado Avalanche bring over any retired numbers with them from their former digs? Just curious. Also...were Steen and Hawerchuk's numbers retired prior to the teams arrival in Phoenix, or prior?

No, those teams didn't do that. Only PHX. (Edit: it seems that Dallas did honour Minnesota's retired numbers).

Steen's 25 was retired before the move. Hawerchuk's 10 was retired in PHX - awkwardly, IMO.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
Saw this on another board. Is it new?

Chris Viv

ajcthrashers: #Thrashers update: Talks between ASG and TNSE continued through weekend. It appears last potential buyer to keep team in ATL is now out.

hydromel

Sep 12, 2005
shut it

Only to be crushed again by the reality of the situation:
@ajcthrashers Chris Vivlamore
#Thrashers update: Talks between ASG and TNSE continued through weekend. It appears last potential buyer to keep team in ATL is now out.

Retail1LO*

No, those teams didn't do that. Only PHX.

Steen's 25 was retired before the move. Hawerchuk's 10 was retired in PHX - awkwardly, IMO.

That is indeed awkward. Real awkward. If I was Dale, I wouldn't have shown up. LOL Interesting too that Steen's was retired first, although he did play the entirety of his career with the franchise, if I'm not mistaken.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

While some Hartford Whalers numbers were returned to circulation, the Hurricanes have never given out Gordie Howe's #9 to a Hurricane. However, it is not formally retired as only Brind'Amour, Wesley, and Francis are in the rafters.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Saw this on another board. Is it new?

Chris Viv

ajcthrashers: #Thrashers update: Talks between ASG and TNSE continued through weekend. It appears last potential buyer to keep team in ATL is now out.

http://twitter.com/#!/ajcthrashers/status/72658437925908480

25 minutes ago, so yes, fairly new and the first I've seen it. Thanks.:)

EDIT: To add,

The last-ditch effort for a buyer willing to keep the team in Atlanta appears to have expired. I’m told that “probably, but not completely” the one final prospective buyer is now out of the picture.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrash...log&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Retail1LO*

While some Hartford Whalers numbers were returned to circulation, the Hurricanes have never given out Gordie Howe's #9 to a Hurricane. However, it is not formally retired as only Brind'Amour, Wesley, and Francis are in the rafters.

All of whom played with the Hurricanes. I know Wesley and Francis were both long time Whalers too. But it's not like they retired Verbeek's number.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
And absolutely none of these mean anything to the fans, who matter most. I'm sure this is best suited for discussion in the Winnipeg name game thread...but failing to cash in on what is already an ridiculously well known name and tradition in Winnipeg, would be foolish. I know very little, but there are more than a few marketing gurus that have said the same. If the people of Winnipeg were burning their Jets gear, it'd be different. But as it stands, everything Jet related that isn't bolted to the ground is flying off the shelves. The best thing the new owners of a Winnipeg franchise could do, is give back what these people lost. Some people don't get this, and never will. Winnipeg didn't lose NHL hockey. They lost the Jets. It might sound one and the same, but if you don't understand that, then you probably just don't get how much the team meant to a small city of 750K (and I'm sure it was less than that over a decade ago).

It'd be like bringing a team back to Green Bay in the NFL and not calling them the Packers. It'd be absolutely ludicrous.

When they brought football back to Cleveland, they brought them back as the Browns...and rightfully so.

I guess where we disagree that is on the idea that the fans matter the most. I'd argue that in matters like naming a team, the team's owners matter the most. They're the ones risking their money.

And I thought the Browns decision was one of the stupidest things in pro sports.

And I'll say that if I had been fan of the original Jets, I would be less likely to be a fan of the new team if they called themselves the Jets.

BrianL*

Eklund tweeted the following:

Source:"Winnipeg still has interesting twists ahead,but they will get an NHL franchise...However, how? and who? may still surprise many."

:shakehead

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
All of whom played with the Hurricanes. I know Wesley and Francis were both long time Whalers too. But it's not like they retired Verbeek's number.

Didn't mean to suggest otherwise, although Wesley and Francis do have their tenures in Hartford recognized and there are mentions of franchise records as well as "Hurricanes records".

The only point here is there is an implicit retirement of Howe's jersey, but I don't think they will ever raise a Canes #9 or a Whalers #9 in the RBC.

berklon

Dec 24, 2008

I agree with you, but the NFL allowed the Baltimore Colts name/history to go to Indianapolis... and the Colts started up at close to the same time the Browns did. They also have a deep history of success and some Hall of Famers - including Johnny Unitas.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

Well I have considered these facts. Especially the point of failure. One could from a marketing perspective consider the Jets a failed brand and thus one a new, hopefully successful one would be wise to distance itself from and you could probably make a nice argument to that effect and there's a chance the owners concur with it.

However, I also personally think it would be a complete miscalculation in ignorance of the facts on the ground. The Jets remain an incredibly popular brand and their relocation isn't popularly considered a result of failure but it is essentially felt as a wound that could only be fully healed by a return of the Jets, not just a NHL franchise, the Jets.

Minnesota couldn't claim the North Stars brand for their expansion team for obvious reasons that don't apply here, but I think they wish they could have. I don't think the North Stars ever had the "cult" popularity of the Jets but I still think the franchise would have found it much easier to work with North Stars rather than "Wild".

Darylman

Aug 1, 2009
The Jets are popular throughout all of Canada, really. Their gear flies off the shelves everywhere in Ontario, that's for sure. To not call the team the Jets would be a gigantic miscalculation in terms of brand management.

RonJon

May 18, 2011
That is indeed awkward. Real awkward. If I was Dale, I wouldn't have shown up. LOL Interesting too that Steen's was retired first, although he did play the entirety of his career with the franchise, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes and he continues to live in Winnipeg. As a matter of fact he ran and won a seat in the last civic election. He and Alex hold many fund raisers each year for the local childerns hospital in honor of their son/brother that died very young. The Duck use to have a summer place on Lake Winnipeg but I'm not sure if he still does. I know he is into horse racing and has a ranch in Ontario. If i remember correctly Bobby, Dale, and Thomas were the only 3 sweaters retired and that all 3 were in Winnipeg. Anyone know different?

cup4blues

Sarcasm galore
Aug 15, 2008

The Minnesota North Stars retired #19 for Bill Masterton and the #8 for Bill Goldsworthy which remain retired in Dallas. After the move to Stars also retired the #7 for Neal Broten who played in both Minnesota and Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad