Speculation: Tkachuk wants to sign long term

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He’s our best forward IMO and it’s not close.

If you can have only one of them for this year. who do you think is more important Johnny or Matt?

18vo0md3ajj8pjpg.jpg

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If he keeps it up, he'll get more than Monahan since he is already scoring at the similar pace when Monahan signed his contract and that was 2 yrs ago.

Salary goes up. We have seen it gone up quite a bit already this summer

I agree. I see them as similar caliber players coming out of ELC. But Sean is a center and I figure that difference can make up the inflation of the salary cap. That was just my line of thinking anyway.

Reactions: No Draft

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If you can have only one of them for this year. who do you think is more important Johnny or Matt?

18vo0md3ajj8pjpg.jpg

I’d take Tkachuk. I think he impacts the game positively in more ways than Johnny. And so people don’t think I’m knocking Johnny, I’d say without hesitation he’s #2.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I imagine he’s going to get 6-6.5 for 7 or 8 years. But Tre could work his magic and get him under 6.

Good.

$8mm x 8 years.

Could he be worth 8M a season? Yes but to this point he has not done anything to merit that salary.

If he were to sign today he would be looking at less than Johnny and Mony. Realistically speaking Chucky has 48 and 49 points in a season respectively and if he is signed before the upcoming season I would expect 5.5-6M X 8. If he is signed after this season much of his salary reward will be based on his performance there.

He’s our best forward IMO and it’s not close.

Even potential wise I would be hard pressed to put him above Mony. I do rate him higher than Johnny because Matthew's game is more complete. Offensively I would rate Johnny and Mony higher.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Could he be worth 8M a season? Yes but to this point he has not done anything to merit that salary.

If he were to sign today he would be looking at less than Johnny and Mony. Realistically speaking Chucky has 48 and 49 points in a season respectively and if he is signed before the upcoming season I would expect 5.5-6M X 8. If he is signed after this season much of his salary reward will be based on his performance there.

Even potential wise I would be hard pressed to put him above Mony. I do rate him higher than Johnny because Matthew's game is more complete. Offensively I would rate Johnny and Mony higher.

I think Johnny is the best all around offensive player, followed by Tkachuk then Monahan. Tkachuk is not quite the goal scorer that Mony is, but he’s a superior passer, I actually think he’s our teams best playmaker.

Tkachuk is the best defensive player of that trio, he plays the most physical and he’s a class A pest.

If Tkachuk played with Gaudreau and Monahan all season, he would score 80pts. I have no doubts.

Reactions: Cyrano and SKRusty

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I think Johnny is the best all around offensive player, followed by Tkachuk then Monahan. Tkachuk is not quite the goal scorer that Mony is, but he’s a superior passer, I actually think he’s our teams best playmaker.

Tkachuk is the best defensive player of that trio, he plays the most physical and he’s a class A pest.

If Tkachuk played with Gaudreau and Monahan all season, he would score 80pts. I have no doubts.

First I don't think Mony gets enough credit defensively (other than with managements statements) as to how much heavy lifting Sean does on the first unit. Matthew has been insulated by Backlund and Frolik defensively so as such can not really be compared apples to apples with Sean.

I think Chucky could be moved to the top unit this season.

Chucky- Monahan-Neal
Johnny- Janko - Lindholm

Johnny and Mark found instant chemistry (something Johnny has not had with any other center other than Mony) so I think Peters may try to spread the wealth out a little.

If the lines flush out this way Chucky could definitely be in that 70-80 point bracket. For the first time since Nieuwendyk and Gilmour I think Calgary has a great shot of having 2 offensively dangerous lines.

The potential is there to have all players in the top six over 65 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Long term, ZERO chance getting him under 6 imo. I'd be fine with anything between 6-7 for 7-8 years.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
He will probably give us a good deal. Not an insane deal or discount, but probably a fair one, and not bend us over. We have him a chance with good caliber talent immediately after drafting him. He earned it for sure, but wevew treated him really well, the rest of our top 6 is signed to reasonable deals for the next 5 years. Good spot for him to be

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
First I don't think Mony gets enough credit defensively (other than with managements statements) as to how much heavy lifting Sean does on the first unit. Matthew has been insulated by Backlund and Frolik defensively so as such can not really be compared apples to apples with Sean.

I think Chucky could be moved to the top unit this season.

Chucky- Monahan-Neal
Johnny- Janko - Lindholm

Johnny and Mark found instant chemistry (something Johnny has not had with any other center other than Mony) so I think Peters may try to spread the wealth out a little.

If the lines flush out this way Chucky could definitely be in that 70-80 point bracket. For the first time since Nieuwendyk and Gilmour I think Calgary has a great shot of having 2 offensively dangerous lines.

The potential is there to have all players in the top six over 65 points.

I don’t really disagree with anything you said. I do think Mony is better defensively than many on here say, but I still think Tkachuk is a cut above. Tkachuk was not a passenger in any sense on his line, but as you said that doesn’t take anything away from Sean.

I also like your line combos.

Reactions: SKRusty

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
As long as it's 7 or 8 years I'll be happy. Getting him under a 6 million AAV would be fantastic value. I think it's a possibility if he plays another year in a shutdown role and doesn't have the eye popping counting stats. Probably not if the contract has that kind of term though. Would be thrilled with another Monahan contract.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I’d get this sign this deal before the guy puts up a 70 point season as he’s bound to do. The kids got just about every aspect a PF is looking for.

The guy will be the next Corey Perry. In fact, his first two years were more successful than Perry’s three... and he’s been years younger than Perry before he even got to the NHL. The NHL will figure out how good Chucky is... with a line that’s going to get some help, and some depth to relieve some matchups for him and backs... yeah, he’s going to explode this season.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I feel like Chucky is the guy who’s gonna make Elias pop.

I like either Lindholm or Neal on that line, brings much higher offensive ceilings and production than Frolik.

Having Frolik with Ryan on the third line, and Lindholm on the first line also makes life a tonne easier on Backs/Chucky.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
As long as it's 7 or 8 years I'll be happy. Getting him under a 6 million AAV would be fantastic value. I think it's a possibility if he plays another year in a shutdown role and doesn't have the eye popping counting stats. Probably not if the contract has that kind of term though. Would be thrilled with another Monahan contract.

Tre is all in on this year because if he doesn't make the Conference finals I don't think he keeps his job. IMO that means you don't hide one of your best players on a defensive line. Calgary needs growth from all of the young players. Lindholm, Jankowski, Czarnik and Chucky will be put in the best possible slots in the line-up to succeed.

Older players that have not been able to take it to the next level will be pushed down the depth chart. Backlund (29), Frolik (30), and Ryan (31) will be relegated to bottom 6 duty as their days for more potential are gone. None of these players have put up more than 55 points and if it weren't for Chucky the highest point total would likely be below 45. Backs and Frolik are great at shutting down other teams so as a third line they would be slotted well.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Tre is all in on this year because if he doesn't make the Conference finals I don't think he keeps his job. IMO that means you don't hide one of your best players on a defensive line. Calgary needs growth from all of the young players. Lindholm, Jankowski, Czarnik and Chucky will be put in the best possible slots in the line-up to succeed.

Older players that have not been able to take it to the next level will be pushed down the depth chart. Backlund (29), Frolik (30), and Ryan (31) will be relegated to bottom 6 duty as their days for more potential are gone. None of these players have put up more than 55 points and if it weren't for Chucky the highest point total would likely be below 45. Backs and Frolik are great at shutting down other teams so as a third line they would be slotted well.

Lol what? Guess hes getting fired then, because I serious doubt we are making it that far.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I feel like Chucky is the guy who’s gonna make Elias pop.

Who ever plays that opposite wing will pop, whether it be Lindholm, Czarnik or Bennett (I hope Bennett personally so he can prove all the naysayers wrong and finally live up to his potential) will pop. Frolik is a good player, but he is no where near the offensive threats that Lindy, Czarnik or Bennett are. Many a times Tkachuk will do something in the offensive zone (like a quick pass in front or want to do a give and go) and either Fro or Backs just don't have the offensive hockey IQ to know what Chucky wants to do. Tkachuk needs players to keep up with him like he had in London with Marner and Dvorak. I really hope we get to see a Bennett-Lindholm-Tkachuk line so Lindy AND Bennett can both pop and grow together, all young guys who can be a dominant line for years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad