Confirmed with Link: Tkachuk signs 3 year deal (7 million AAV)

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
I'm happy it's done like everyone. Now let's see what we've got this year compared to everyone else and their improvements.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
I'll break down the press conference for you guys.

Mathew: "I'm just excited to start playing again. I'm glad the deal got done. Finally, in closing, thank you to the fans. Especially Corpus X on CFHF who stuck behind me and believed in me when nobody else would. Seriously, if there was any other way to show my appreciation I would do it... Hold on my phone is ringing... Hello? Hi Corpipoo! Oh for sure! Hahahahaha you're so funny. How are you single? The ladies should be chasing you everywhere with those looks. Anyway I'll totally get that done. I totally owe you as my best friend in the whole world. Oh, I totally forgot I was doing a press conference! I have to go. We'll get together and have dinner soon. ... Sorry about that everyone. Anyway, yeah, thanks for your time."

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
7 mil is reasonable enough, it’s barely higher than Point. I’m just glad Chucky isn’t going to miss any time. Lets get this season going!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
7 mil is reasonable enough, it’s barely higher than Point. I’m just glad Chucky isn’t going to miss any time. Lets get this season going!

You know, the tax stuff is beaten to death around here... but it does make a difference.
I think it breaks down to something like Brayden Point taking home 4,000,000 in one year of his contract, meanwhile Tkachuk takes home 3,600,000 or so on his, even though it's 250k higher in AAV. Those are rough numbers not taking into account signing bonuses, etc.

At the end of the day, I think it's wrong to compare against Tampa and it's wrong to compare against Toronto. Both are on different spectrums, one is a tax haven, the other has a stupid tax.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
You know, the tax stuff is beaten to death around here... but it does make a difference.
I think it breaks down to something like Brayden Point taking home 4,000,000 in one year of his contract, meanwhile Tkachuk takes home 3,600,000 or so on his, even though it's 250k higher in AAV. Those are rough numbers not taking into account signing bonuses, etc.

At the end of the day, I think it's wrong to compare against Tampa and it's wrong to compare against Toronto. Both are on different spectrums, one is a tax haven, the other has a stupid tax.

Someone did the math already, Point will bring in little over a million more than Tkachuk on their current deal due to taxes. So Tkachuk getting 250K more on the contract side makes some sense.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Bennett can/should take Frolik's spot in the top six.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Bennett-Backlund-Tkachuk
Lucic-Ryan-Mangiapane
Frolik-Jankowski-Czarnik/Dube
Quine

Or, if Peters actually meant all the Lindholm to centre, Tkachuk on the top line stuff

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Lindholm-Czarnik/Dube/Jankowski
Mangiapane-Backlund-Frolik
Lucic-Ryan-Czarnik/Dube/Jankowski

Reactions: Ginger Papa

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Even though Tkachuk lives in St. Louis in the off season he is in Calgary for most of the year and his contract is paid in USD. That makes a huge difference in paying for stuff here when you're actually making closer to $9.3 mil Canadian.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
100%
Happy to keep a valuable player in the fold versus giving him away for nothing. I think it shakes out well for Calgary in general.
Interested to see what happens to Bennett. I'd love to see him slotted in the top 6... but there's just no space.
I think Peters is going to try Lindholm at center in one of the final two pre-season games now that Tkachuk's back.

I'm excited. There's a lot of permutations with our current line-up that we just never had before now that Mangiapane and Dube are in the fold. I don't think players are fixed in certain places in the line-up anymore and Bennett's earned an extended look in the top 6 so I bet we'll see some experimenting on Peters' end

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Chucky seems to want to sign long term, but the cap wasn't there and he didn't want to lose a team mate to sign himself to longer and higher cap hit.

I can see him sign an 8 year deal in 3 years if the Flames can stay competitive.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

You are correct, it definitely makes a difference. It would be nice if there was a way for the NHL to adjust for that with the cap, but since where the player resides is a factor too, it would be far too complicated as it would have to change with literally every signing.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
The ladies should be chasing you everywhere with those looks.
I mean, I saw some women running around with pitchforks the other day, was that not you they were chasing?

Just kidding of course.

Stoked that Tkachuk is signed, missing him on the season would have sucked.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Meh, public speak to make him look good. Comparable was pretty clear in Brayden Point, so I don't see the idea that Tkachuk magically did this to keep the team together. He has his own interests are heart for this deal (and fair enough to him).
If you listen to the presser, he came to the realization it would cost him a teammate just before the start of camp. so that is when Tkachuk shifted his focus from a long-term deal to a 3 year bridge. Seems like pretty elaborate and specific lip service.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'll break down the press conference for you guys.

Mathew: "I'm just excited to start playing again. I'm glad the deal got done. Finally, in closing, thank you to the fans. Especially Corpus X on CFHF who stuck behind me and believed in me when nobody else would. Seriously, if there was any other way to show my appreciation I would do it... Hold on my phone is ringing... Hello? Hi Corpipoo! Oh for sure! Hahahahaha you're so funny. How are you single? The ladies should be chasing you everywhere with those looks. Anyway I'll totally get that done. I totally owe you as my best friend in the whole world. Oh, I totally forgot I was doing a press conference! I have to go. We'll get together and have dinner soon. ... Sorry about that everyone. Anyway, yeah, thanks for your time."

You’re alright in my books Corpus. This year, poster of the year is in your future.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
You’re alright in my books Corpus. This year, poster of the year is in your future.
source.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If you listen to the presser, he came to the realization it would cost him a teammate just before the start of camp. so that is when Tkachuk shifted his focus from a long-term deal to a 3 year bridge. Seems like pretty elaborate and specific lip service.

I still think that it was a modified comment. It seems like the Brodie deal was the perfect move to make his long term deal work. It's possible that behind the scenes, Brodie has asked to be closer to home (two birds, one stone, everyone is happy). However, when Kadri nixed the deal, movement of cap didn't occur so there wasn't cap available for 8 mil x 6 ish type deal. The other players legitimately don't want to be moved, so that's why the change towards a bridge was applied.

My theory anyways. It's not complete lie, it's not complete truth.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Factoring state tax into the cap sounds like a good idea, until you go down the logical rabbit hole of: why not also city property taxes/exemptions for each state/differences in mandated insurance costs per state. It just becomes far too complicated very quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad