Confirmed with Link: Tkachuk signs 3 year deal (7 million AAV)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
After the Point deal I was hoping for 3 x $6.75 but I won't quibble about the extra quarter mil.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Not sure we know exactly what we have yet in Tkachuk due to his negative foot speed so a three year deal is fine by me. We can now see if he is a perennial 75 point player who struggles with playoff pace or if he can get to that 85-90 point range and be effective in the playoffs.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Pretty fair value. I get a little cranky when TB consistently manages to sign all its players to great deals, but in this case I'm thankful Point's contract likely accelerated the bargaining process with Tkachuk.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

It's going to be tricky to keep both Tkachuk and Gaudreau

I don't see why it'll be tricky. Gio gets a pay cut and a portion of it goes towards Gaudreau. Lucic I believe also expires and that can be distributed between the two of them.

That's not taking into account the salary cap increase. Treliving's salary cap structure is really damn good.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't see why it'll be tricky. Gio gets a pay cut and a portion of it goes towards Gaudreau. Lucic I believe also expires and that can be distributed between the two of them.

That's not taking into account the salary cap increase. Treliving's salary cap structure is really damn good.

Lucic will still have 1 more year fam.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

Personally think Gaudreau will command anywhere between 14 to 16 million and Tkachuk between 11 to 13. It won't be impossible but it will require a lot of maneuvering and a Lucic buyout

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I thought buying him out would be cheap with one year left, but the cap friendly calc seems to disagree. My bad.

But the raise in salary cap should help.

That was the #1 reason I really hated this swap. His contract is essentially buyout proof, Neal's would hurt to buy out as well of course, but not nearly to the same degree.

Reactions: Fig

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Interesting to note that the Flames have historically shied away from signing bonuses. Tkachuk gets 4 million this year, 3.5 next year and none in his last year for the 9 million. So about 1/3 in signing bonuses.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
That was the #1 reason I really hated this swap. His contract is essentially buyout proof, Neal's would hurt to buy out as well of course, but not nearly to the same degree.

Better hope he acts in good faith in that final year. Even so, the flames are all but losing a first rounder to get rid of him (unless he ltiretires).

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Ok contract. I've opened hf every morning for a month or so hoping to see "Confirmed with link: [CGY] Tkachuk signs..." at Trade boards so I'm happy

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Better hope he acts in good faith in that final year. Even so, the flames are all but losing a first rounder to get rid of him (unless he ltiretires).

Pay Seattle a kings ransom to take him?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.gif

Seems good. Happy to have it done.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
If it weren't for Point settling on the low side this deal would not have been done yet. The lock-em contracts have become gambles in that if the player does not progress to expectations there is a great deal of cap wasted on a bad contract. Looks like Calgary will have to decide if they want to keep Johnny or Chucky in 2 years.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
The new collective bargaining agreement year is going to be hell. I bet the discussion will consist of RFA 3/4 AV guaranteed for a qualifying offer for contract renewals. The massive amount of cap going to the top end is great for them but terrible for the rest of the players. I could even see fighting from within the Players Association.

Reactions: Janks

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Tkachuk must have seen that Bennett was about to steal his spot so he decided to sign.

Seriously though, it's good it's over but it's a bit too much on a three year deal. He's not better than Point. It also suggests Tkachuk's ask on a longer deal was probably closer to 9M.

Re-signing him and Gaudreau will be fun times though. When the new US TV deal kicks in in a couple of years, the cap could go up by 5-10M+ in one go (unless the new CBA changes the formula). Meaning both Gaudreau and Tkachuk could easily want to double their existing contracts.

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
Finally! And to a very tolerable deal even! Maybe hes trying to get out of to as soon as he can, and maybe not, but at least Tkachuk stayed quiet throughout and negotiations didnt go public. Kid has a great head on him and deserves the money.
Now let's get this season going already!

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Good deal for the Flames and Tkachuk.

By the way, in 3 years the Flames will have over $55 mil in capspace at this current cap ceiling. Obviously we don't have many guys signed (1 d-man, Monahan, Lindolm, Backs and Lucic), but if we can get Ras and Vali signed to long term deals like Hanifin's (ie. good value and 6+ years), they should have a ton of space for both Tkachuk and Gaudreau.

So glad we Tkachuk signed though, with a week+ to go before the regular season he should be ready to go by game 1.

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Finally! And to a very tolerable deal even! Maybe hes trying to get out of to as soon as he can, and maybe not, but at least Tkachuk stayed quiet throughout and negotiations didnt go public. Kid has a great head on him and deserves the money.
Now let's get this season going already!
Congratulations to the Flames fanbase. Although I'm primarily a long-suffering Canucks fan, I'm always happy to see Canadian teams retain their talent. Of course, I also hate Tkachuk when the orca play against him, which should be interpreted as the highest compliment from a rival fan.

That being said, I think the arsehole is worth every penny due to the unique dimension he brings to your team. I can only think of a few similar players currently playing, and none of them will ever see their 25th B-day again....

Glad he won't miss any regular-season games for you & hope we can see 5-6 Canadian teams make the playoffs this year. Cheers

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
This makes me very happy. I'm on afternoon shift and I just woke up.
I was getting really discouraged that there was no end in sight.
Way to go GMBT great value. Congratulations Matthew. Now get your butt to work, and let's go win a ton of hockey games.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Here is the live stream for Matthew Tkachuk's press conference. Goes live in about 2 hours from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad