Confirmed with Link: Tkachuk signs 3 year deal (7 million AAV)

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Better have 11M in cap space in 3 years for Gaudreau and Tkachuk's raises, but with the NHL having a new TV deal the year before that the Cap should increase in time to help (but might also make both even more expensive).

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Not sure how I feel. I like it compared to, Boeser and Marner but I don’t like it compared to Aho and Point

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Makes me glad we went longterm with Hanifin. Would've been a f***ing disaster to re-sign him in a couple years

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room

It's going to be tricky to keep both Tkachuk and Gaudreau

I don't think it will be. It will be the season after Seattle's first year, which should create a bump in the cap and the following year I believe is when we start seeing the effects of the new American TV deal which could cause a bump of 5+ million on its own. Giordano's deal also ends at the same time and I think it is a safe bet that he won't be seeing a pay increase. Another big plus is we only have 5 contracts totaling under $27 million, so it is something we can really plan for.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Frolik, Ryan and Gio have expiring deals in that span, probably some savings to be found there.

I think Frolik will probably go to whoever gives him the most money this offseason

If Gio can still play at the end of his current contract then it’s probably cheaper 1 year deals going forward à la Chara

It’ll be interesting to see where we sit the next couple of summers with Seattle and our pending UFAs on D + the young studs on the back end probably needing bridge deals

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Not sure how I feel. I like it compared to, Boeser and Marner but I don’t like it compared to Aho and Point
It's fair compared to Point when you factor in the tax differences. Tkachuk signing the same deal as Point with us would see him taking home 400-500k less per season.

Reactions: flames23

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Slightly more than I thought he would make on a 3 year deal. Important thing is that it’s done and he’s here.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
How much do you think he hates Point and his agent right now. I think Point cost all remaining RFA's about 2 million a year.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
It's fair compared to Point when you factor in the tax differences. Tkachuk signing the same deal as Point with us would see him taking home 400-500k less per season.

I have yet to see the details of the deal but I wouldn’t be surprised to see significantly less in signing bonuses

The Flames org tends to be cheap that way. In the long run I don’t think it really matters if its ~1mil more than I’d like it to be given the term. It’s not preventative in anyway and we’ll have Matty for the whole season

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Better have 11M in cap space in 3 years for Gaudreau and Tkachuk's raises, but with the NHL having a new TV deal the year before that the Cap should increase in time to help (but might also make both even more expensive).
Someone can double-check but I think the NBA salary cap increased by a whopping 30% after their new TV deal. So there should be plenty of cap. But the salary for free agents rose substantially as well and good players were asking for nearly double what they used to. And getting it.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Someone can double-check but I think the NBA salary cap increased by a whopping 30% after their new TV deal. So there should be plenty of cap. But the salary for free agents rose substantially as well and good players were asking for nearly double what they used to. And getting it.

I doubt the NHL deal is nearly as lucrative as the NBA's but yeah it should still be a nice hefty bump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->