Value of: Tkachuk long-term

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Pat Steinberg is reporting today that Matthew Tkachuk is "eager" to sign long-term in Calgary. What contract should he be able to command?

For reference, here are his career stats (two seasons):

144 GP
37 G
60 A
97 P
+6.9% CF rel

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Knowing how good of a negotiator that Treliving is, I expect he'll end up signing for Sean Monahan like numbers 7 yrs x $6.375 mil per year.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Knowing how good of a negotiator that Treliving is, I expect he'll end up signing for Sean Monahan like numbers 7 yrs x $6.375 mil per year.

Seems like a serious overpay for a sub 50 point winger - especially given the number of RFA years involved.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Seems like a serious overpay for a sub 50 point winger - especially given the number of RFA years involved.

Not really. This is the landscape of the NHL.

<21 top-six RFA forwards typically go long term on a cap hit of 6+ million.

Tkachuk's value is more than offense as well. Going for the max years at around ~6.5 million would be a sensible move from Calgary.

Reactions: StreakingRed

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
97 points in 144 games = 55 in an 82-game season

If you want to portray it that way to make him look better sure. The fact is, hes played 2 seasons and not accumulated more than 50 points either year.

Not really. This is the landscape of the NHL.

<21 top-six RFA forwards typically go long term on a cap hit of 6+ million.

Tkachuk's value is more than offense as well. Going for the max years at around ~6.5 million would be a sensible move from Calgary.

Who are you using as comparables here? Unless you're using Pasta or centers I don't see how you're going getting 6.5 as "standard". IMO the comparables here are more along the lines of Mantha/Domi/E. Lindholm

Then you don't know very much about Tkachuk

Paying for "grit" is generally a bad plan

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
If you want to portray it that way to make him look better sure. The fact is, hes played 2 seasons and not accumulated more than 50 points either year.

Who are you using as comparables here? Unless you're using Pasta or centers I don't see how you're going getting 6.5 as "standard". IMO the comparables here are more along the lines of Mantha/Domi/E. Lindholm

Paying for "grit" is generally a bad plan

Have you watched the kid play? doesn't seem like it. Lets not forget he's only 20.

Chucky will get paid around 6-7 Mil over 7/8 years IMO

Reactions: Steven

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
There's been much discussion on here about what Nylander will sign for. AAV's from $6-8 mil have been thrown out.
I suspect that most NHL GMs would take Tkachuk over Nylander, if both were available and both had reasonable and similar contract term and AAV.

Tkachuk doesn't have the work "quit" in his vocabulary. This is the type of player that you want to go to war with come playoff time. He makes EVERYBODY on the team better. I wonder who Marner would chose as a team mate? Nylander or Tkachuk?

Reactions: Steven

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
If our 2nd line LW is getting 70 points, I'll be planning the route of the cup parade. Most likely he hits around 55 points, but could get more if his defensive assignments are paired back.

Ya. I would be overjoyed to give him that 7 million haha.

60 points with his playing style is fantastic. But hopefully with a better bottom 6 the 2nd line can be more offensive

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Ya. I would be overjoyed to give him that 7 million haha.

60 points with his playing style is fantastic. But hopefully with a better bottom 6 the 2nd line can be more offensive

I'm fine with anything under 6, but I don't think our 2nd line LW should be getting Gaudreau like money, especially with Backlund getting 5.35 and Neal getting 5.75. It sets a bad precedent were RFA's are gonna get overpaid for "intangibles". I like Chucky, but I don't like him that much. Anyway, I think Backlund's AAV would be fair, but I guess most other fans think otherwise.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Talk about splitting hairs.

48 points in 76 as a rookie.
49 in 68 as a sophomore.

Despite being used on a shutdown line and 2nd PP time.

He’s easily a perennial 50+ point guy.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
He's so much more than offense though. That's sub 50 points in a shutdown role, will definitely be interesting to see what he does with Backlund and Neal this year

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Agreed. This seems close. Player gets long term security. So does the team. At a fair price for both sides.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

1. The other guy you quoted is still correct. He's more like a 55 points per 82 games player right now, and can improve.

2. Yes, Pastrnak is one. But the likes of Hall, Eberle, Duchene, Monahan, Ehlers, Skinner, Scheifele are all around that 6 million mark. Most of them signed in their 2nd season, meaning they still had one more ELC year remaining before their 2nd contracts kicked in. Brandon Saad is probably the closest comparable in terms of the combination of production + shot metrics/defensive play, and he is still at 6 million. You also have to note all these were signed some time ago, when the cap was lower. If you take cap inflation into account, Tkachuk will easily clear 6 million long-term. Which is perfectly fair.

I'm a Canucks fan. I have no skin in the game here. But Tkachuk is a very good player, and will be paid fairly handsomely for it. He is far, far better than Mantha/Domi/Lindholm. That's just my honest assessment.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
2. Yes, Pastrnak is one. But the likes of Hall, Eberle, Duchene, Monahan, Ehlers, Skinner, Scheifele are all around that 6 million mark. Most of them signed in their 2nd season, meaning they still had one more ELC year remaining before their 2nd contracts kicked in. Brandon Saad is probably the closest comparable in terms of the combination of production + shot metrics/defensive play, and he is still at 6 million. You also have to note all these were signed some time ago, when the cap was lower. If you take cap inflation into account, Tkachuk will easily clear 6 million long-term. Which is perfectly fair.

Of your list, Duchene, Monahan and Scheifele are all 1C's, not 2nd line wingers. Pasta and Hall signed those contracts after having 70 point seasons, Skinner after winning the Calder, Ehlers after back to back 60+ point seasons and Eberle was considered a mistake by almost everyone not from Edmonton (and was 1 of the first contracts they tried to dump once they got new management). Sadd's contract was, in large part, based on him being part of 2 Stanley cup wins, not strictly his regular season play/on ice production.

Those are bad examples

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Tkachuk doesn't have the work "quit" in his vocabulary. This is the type of player that you want to go to war with come playoff time. He makes EVERYBODY on the team better. I wonder who Marner would chose as a team mate? Nylander or Tkachuk?

Marner would also chose Matt Martin as a teammate, that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Of your list, Duchene, Monahan and Scheifele are all 1C's, not 2nd line wingers. Pasta and Hall signed those contracts after having 70 point seasons, Skinner after winning the Calder, Ehlers after back to back 60+ point seasons and Eberle was considered a mistake by almost everyone not from Edmonton (and was 1 of the first contracts they tried to dump once they got new management). Sadd's contract was, in large part, based on him being part of 2 Stanley cup wins, not strictly his regular season play/on ice production.

Those are bad examples

Maybe but he is closer to those guys than your examples of Mantha/Domi/Lindholm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad