Tkachuk Disappointed With Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers Ent

Aug 31, 2002
Burnaby, BC
robandgen.blogspot.com
DISAPPOINTED WITH CAP

"I'm disappointed it's gotten to this point," the St. Louis Blues winger said. "Obviously, we have every belief in the executive committee, and if that's something we have to do, then we have to. I still don't agree with it."

A 12-year veteran who commanded a $10 million salary in 2003-04, Tkachuk has one year left on his contract with the Blues.

He has no idea how the team plans to fit him into any new system, even factoring in the expected 24% pay cut in the new deal.

Like most players, he's just getting ready to suit up again.

He spent this past season like a regular dad, taking his kids to school and coaching their hockey teams.

"I had a great year with the kids," he said. "But we're hockey players. It'll be nice to get back."

I feel so horrible for poor Keith. Poor guy. It really is sad.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
The most overpaid player in the league doesn't agree with a salary cap.

Well color me shocked! SHOCKED I say!

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
You know there's something wrong when a hockey player like Tkachuk makes around 40 times the salary of the chief justice of the supreme court of Canada.

The Flash

Apr 24, 2002
Korea (South of Cour
Visit site
Yeah... some of those players need to get their head out of their butts and realize the previous system wasn't working. The players will tell anyone who listens that the free market system or a luxury tax is the way to go, but those systems don't take into account the large cities, greedy agents, not to mention the fans demand for winning.

A salary cap will be a good thing for hockey. It has worked in football. (though it will have to be altered) and in basketball, parity is still fairly existent. Only in baseball, where that joke of a luxury tax was instituted do we have the true haves (New Yorks, Bostons, LAs, Chicago, Baltimore) and have nots...

For once I would like to hear a player actually state his opinion providing some facts to back up his statement, other than spouting off a few unintelligble blurps to the media. Frankly, alot of the blame has to be placed with the media since they just swallow up the short soundbite instead of asking the player to expand on their thoughts.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
The Flash said:
Frankly, alot of the blame has to be placed with the media since they just swallow up the short soundbite instead of asking the player to expand on their thoughts.

remember what mccabe said on the fan 590 when they started to do that? :biglaugh:

Hockeymomma

Feb 12, 2005
Toronto
Masao said:
You know there's something wrong when a hockey player like Tkachuk makes around 40 times the salary of the chief justice of the supreme court of Canada.

Yeah, but it is perfectly fine for all of you for a movie comedian like Adam Sandler to make 1000 times what the prime minister makes...how is it even relevant? Do you pay to watch the chief justice perform? Wake up - its called entertainment and its what people want and what people pay for!!!!

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
nikeisevil said:
DISAPPOINTED WITH CAP

"I'm disappointed it's gotten to this point," the St. Louis Blues winger said. "Obviously, we have every belief in the executive committee, and if that's something we have to do, then we have to. I still don't agree with it."

A 12-year veteran who commanded a $10 million salary in 2003-04, Tkachuk has one year left on his contract with the Blues.

He has no idea how the team plans to fit him into any new system, even factoring in the expected 24% pay cut in the new deal.

Like most players, he's just getting ready to suit up again.

He spent this past season like a regular dad, taking his kids to school and coaching their hockey teams.

"I had a great year with the kids," he said. "But we're hockey players. It'll be nice to get back."

I feel so horrible for poor Keith. Poor guy. It really is sad.

link?

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
He could just retire if he really wants to take a stand for his beliefs.

Some of these players are going to screw things up if they continue making dumb comments to the media. Both the NHL and the NHLPA are going to need all the support they can get when/if they do return. Talking about how unhappy you are about it isn't good PR. He should know that if this CBA fails, there is nothing else to work with.

WC Handy*

This isn't news. There's not a player in the league that isn't disappointed that there's going to be a cap.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Masao said:
Actually, you know there is something wrong when people (adults and kids alike)consider Tkachuck to be a role model, and the Cheif Justice of (insert US or Canada here) to just be some judge guy or something.

It still baffles me that athletes (and actors for that matter....even the ones who are mentally unstable enough to conside themselves experts on the field of psychology and pharmaceuticals, even though he has no formal educational training to back this up.....and made me do the one thing I thought to be impossible........agree with Matt Lauer....baaaghhhh. I need to get some soap for my mouth on that one) are glorified and paid the amounts they are, while adding so little on a level of societal growth

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
WC Handy said:
This isn't news. There's not a player in the league that isn't disappointed that there's going to be a cap.

Hopefully they won't all tell the media about it, though. Acting like a bunch of malcontents will only keep people turned off to the league.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
Married to Hockey said:
Yeah, but it is perfectly fine for all of you for a movie comedian like Adam Sandler to make 1000 times what the prime minister makes...how is it even relevant? Do you pay to watch the chief justice perform? Wake up - its called entertainment and its what people want and what people pay for!!!!

It's not the same. Sandler doesn't expect taxpayers to fund $250 million dollar arenas so that his employer can pay his exhorbitant A lot of people are forced to help pay for Tkachuk's salary through taxes, whether they want to or not. The same is not true of Sandler.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
It is a problem in Western Civilization. We honor and reward entertainers with far more than we do the people who actually keep our society going. Our quality of life is so high that we no longer put a lot of emphasis on the important things and prefer to be entertained.

Even when it comes to politics, it is the sensational stuff that gets the most attention rather than the items that truly have the most effect on our daily lives.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
WC Handy said:

Wrong. There's Mario Lemieux for one.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
The Flash said:
For once I would like to hear a player actually state his opinion providing some facts to back up his statement, other than spouting off a few unintelligble blurps to the media. Frankly, alot of the blame has to be placed with the media since they just swallow up the short soundbite instead of asking the player to expand on their thoughts.
Keep in mind the level of education that these players have. Most of them are not that educated as a whole. Yes, there are some who are......I said most. They have never had to use rhetoric and wit as a tool throughout life. They don't fully nderstand the essence of expanding ones comments with factual data. They just expect to be taken seriously based on a simle statement, with nothing to back it up....sort of high school-esque if you will.....coincidentally, this is where most of their formal educations ceased....hmmmm......Coincidence? I think not.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Please, don't tell me Tkachuk is a dog owner! :sarcasm:

Tkachuk never struck me as a mental giant and I have no sympathy for him after his frat boy antics at Nagano.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Tekneek said:
It is a problem in Western Civilization. We honor and reward entertainers with far more than we do the people who actually keep our society going. Our quality of life is so high that we no longer put a lot of emphasis on the important things and prefer to be entertained.
It's becoming like Logan's Run. Only without Logan, and no one is running.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Would Tkachuk rather give up guaranteed contracts? I figure that's the only way you could go on without a salary cap.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
craig1 said:
That's the thing I never got about the movie. With the exception of the 30 year rule no one had one thing to complain about. Logan blows up the computer with a logical paradox (I think it was Stars fans are more devoted than Avs fans a demonstrated by the Tornado) and brings down all of their society. So an entire society without skills and they're now supposed to survive in a post apocalyptic wasteland? I bet more people died before their 30th birthday under that system.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
craig1 said:

I bet you could find people who would sign up for that right now. 30 or so years or pleasure and then you die in a celebration that everyone attends. Sounds like Utopia, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->