Tkachuk brothers vs Hughes brothers

Which brother combo would you choose to build a franchise around?

• Total voters

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I mean, you'd rather have a C + D to build around than 2 wingers, but I love the Tkachuks, and small defensemen...I think there's a good reason there are only a very small handful of top 4 NHL D 5'10" or under (just 11 NHL regulars listed that height or shorter last season). I understand why people are excited about Quinn, but I just don't see him ever becoming an effective #1 at that size. Reach and strength matter in the D zone (you've gotta win puck battles, box guys out, make defensive plays with your stick, etc.)

Give me the pair of high-skill power forwards.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This is tough.
I see Quinn as kind of being the weak link here. Not because he's a bad player, because he's really, really good; but I don't think he's a guy who'll ever be a #1D just due to size/play style.
The other three have 1C/1LW in the cards.

I gotta go with some rattiness.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Accidentally voted Hughes combo, but give me the known quantity in the Tkachuks.

However with their upside in a year this could definitely go in favor of the Hughes bros.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd rather the Tkachuk brothers just to add to a team, but I wouldn't want to build around 2 LWs. Since you asked who I'd rather build around, I'll take the potential C (Hughes could end up on the wing) and the D. Although, gambling on two guys who have a combined 5 NHL games, over an established star in Matthew Tkachuk, and a guy with a very promising rookie season is insanely risky.

Reactions: ratbid

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
I'd rather the Tkachuk brothers just to add to a team, but I wouldn't want to build around 2 LWs. Since you asked who I'd rather build around, I'll take the potential C (Hughes could end up on the wing) and the D. Although, gambling on two guys who have a combined 5 NHL games, over an established star in Matthew Tkachuk, and a guy with a very promising rookie season is insanely risky.
Hughes isn’t going to be a wing. You repeating it over and over isnt gonna make it happen.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Tough to say... I think the Tkachuk brothers are the obvious choice... but if you add in positionally… it kinda slides it over towards hughes brothers.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Good poll.

If I'm talking career, I'll probably take the little guys because I think they'll have more longevity, which the Tkachuk kids will do what all guys do who play their style and fall off at 30.

But for the next 5 years I'll take the brats.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Oddly I think the Tkachuk brothers might actually be the rarer talents in this day and age. To have 2 of them would be pretty hard to turn down for me. Positions makes it a tough choice though.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Conventionally you'd probably go with building around the C & D. But if you were to start off with two wingers, I don't know if you could do much better than the Tkachuk brothers. That's a whole lot of pain in the ass to play against.

Tough poll, credit OP :thumbu:

Reactions: WADEugottaBELAKthat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad