TJ Oshie vs. Andrew Cogliano

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
In my opinion it is too close to call. But from what I have seen, I would say that Oshie seems to have a greater level of competitive juice than Cogliano, and Cogliano has a mild edge in speed. Skills are comparable.

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
George Bachul said:
In my opinion it is too close to call. But from what I have seen, I would say that Oshie seems to have a greater level of competitive juice than Cogliano, and Cogliano has a mild edge in speed. Skills are comparable.

I saw them both quite a bit, and agree with this. I'd take Oshie first. He's great around the net and works his butt off in the corners...Something my Gophers didn't have last yr.....

Cogliano has got super speed..He can really fly!! He seems to be pretty good with the stick, but if you want goals and grit...Oshie is you man.
:yo:

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Have not heard much about Cogliano at all. How far away from the NHL do you reakon he is? could Oshie be on the Blues' roster for next season?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
This was exactly my predicament drafting late in the 1st round of my FHL last year. Then, I hadn't seen either of them. Now, I've seen them both several times. Either would have been ok. I took Cogliano. But if I had my choice to re-do it, I'd go with Oshie, because he seems to play with more moxie, seems stronger, does more to make the players around him better. Cogliano is more dynamic and exciting on a single rush, but I think Oshie will be the better all-around pro. Still early to say for both of them, however, as I think the best is still yet to come for both.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I think next season in the NCAA will answer more questions for these two. They are very close though. As of right now I would give Oshie the edge, but at the start of the season it would have been Cogliano.

Oshie does play with a bit more grit, but I would say Cogs has the better skillset, by a hair.

Right now I would project both guys to be top 6 NHL players, likely 2nd line guys. They both have 1st line potential, but they aren't there yet.

Two tremendous talents.

zoomba

May 11, 2006
Unionville, ON
Cogliano. Both players look promising but I think Cogliano has the more explosive offensive talent, which gives him an advantage over Oshie. Oshie has surprised me, particularly at the WJC's, but Cogliano and his ability to attack off the rush will translate well to the current NHL.

Jori

s7ark said:
I think next season in the NCAA will answer more questions for these two. They are very close though. As of right now I would give Oshie the edge, but at the start of the season it would have been Cogliano.

Oshie does play with a bit more grit, but I would say Cogs has the better skillset, by a hair.

Right now I would project both guys to be top 6 NHL players, likely 2nd line guys. They both have 1st line potential, but they aren't there yet.

Two tremendous talents.
Couldn't agree more with this post. I like both players myself (except when Oshie was terrorizing my Pioneers, but that's another story)

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
Right now, Oshie is the better NCAA player, he has a physcial element to his game that Cogliano doesn't and has shown he's more willing to battle for the puck. Oshie could probably be a good player at the AHL level right now.

That said, Cogliano has a excellent upside, with blazing speed. It looked like he hit somewhat of a wall in his first season at Michigan and should return with a better sophomore effort. If he gains some strength to fight through neutral zone checking his tremendous speed will lead to a ton of offensive chances and points. Cogliano is far from NHL ready and really needs another season or 2 at Michigan IMO before he thinks about moving on.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Both are going to be successful NHL'ers, but at different roles. Cogliano is going to be a speedy winger who creates chances and finishes them. Oshie is going to be a buzz-saw who hits and skates and does everything on the ice. Oshie is better now, but I can see them being comparable once they hit the NHL.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think if Cogliano can translate to the NHL he will be better. And i like Oshie and wish more people played like him. But i think he is overratted. His skill set is not superior to anyones. He works his butt off and out hustles his competion. He is a less skilled Zack Parise. Now Parise will get better. But i see Oshie as a 20-20 maybe 25-25 guy at best.

BleedBlue99

Feb 20, 2006
No doubt that both players are exceptional. When it comes to the World Juniors I give the upper hand to Cogliano. He ended up with a goal and four assists, and Sutter neutralized him a bit. Oshie had one assist or point, and played a good amount. Oshie had a good tournament but I think Cogliano had the edge. In season Cogliano started off hot then cooled down, Oshie did the opposite and finished better. I believe they are similar, andI think that will translate nicely in the NHL. Cogliano will get stronger and when he does, he will be even more explosive and fast. Next year Oshie will lose both his linemates, Spirko and Zajac who were great, and Cogliano will move up from the third line to the second and play with some better players. Bottom line, both are great and exciting to watch.

Torch

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site
I think Cogliano has higher upside if he can make the NHL. Personally, I don't see him making it. He reminds me too much of Hnat Domenichelli.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Torch said:
I think Cogliano has higher upside if he can make the NHL. Personally, I don't see him making it. He reminds me too much of Hnat Domenichelli.

I don't think Domenichelli had the same gamebreaking speed as Cogliano does.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Cogliano's season was really disappointing for me.

Based on the hype last season, I fully expected he'd be a guy who'd light up college hockey this year. But he put up very pedestrian numbers at Michigan, and had a so-so WJC with only 1 goal late in a lopsided win. Nice player, but I didn't find him to be nearly as explosive or skilled as advertised leading into last year's draft.

Right now, he's nowhere near where NHL-bound smaller college players like Cammalleri, Gionta, and Comrie were at the same age. Has to be a bit of a concern right now. Really needs to break out next year.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
How tough was Cogliano's league the year before he played NCAA? He may have needed a year to adjust. Oshie played 11 USHL games to get ready and MNHS is not a bad league at all. If everyone in MN stayed in HS until their senior it would be a very top notch league.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
MN_Gopher said:
How tough was Cogliano's league the year before he played NCAA? He may have needed a year to adjust. Oshie played 11 USHL games to get ready and MNHS is not a bad league at all. If everyone in MN stayed in HS until their senior it would be a very top notch league.
IIRC Cogliano played for St. Michaels in the OPJHL. One of the weaker canadian leagues from what I hear. Anyways, he just dominated games, pointwise and playwise. So competition was fairly low.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
PMP5030 said:
Right now, Oshie is the better NCAA player, he has a physcial element to his game that Cogliano doesn't and has shown he's more willing to battle for the puck. Oshie could probably be a good player at the AHL level right now.

That said, Cogliano has a excellent upside, with blazing speed. It looked like he hit somewhat of a wall in his first season at Michigan and should return with a better sophomore effort. If he gains some strength to fight through neutral zone checking his tremendous speed will lead to a ton of offensive chances and points. Cogliano is far from NHL ready and really needs another season or 2 at Michigan IMO before he thinks about moving on.

Agreed.

They are both two very different players, which makes it tough to compare which one is better. Its pretty much what style you prefer, and I think I would take the Gritty more defensive T.J. Oshie over the explosive Andrew Cogliano.

MU_Beerman

May 20, 2004
From reading Larry Pleau's comments (the guy doesn't say much so you have to read btwn. hte lines) it sounds like the Blues may try to fast-track the development of current prospects. If so, any chance Oshie has any success if he were signed and played a year in the AHL?

CuSa_1

Feb 15, 2004
Only seeing Oshie a couple times, he's one of the best end-to-end players I've seen in a while (save NHL players), what he can do with the puck when skating through (more like around) traffic is impressive. Again, based on only a handful of games.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I have not seen Oshie much, but I have seen Cogliano play many times. Cogliano is a game breaker with his speed and scoring ability, I think Cogliano if he can get over being immature on the ice, and add some muscel and strength could be a real superstar in the making. The guy has wayyyyyyy too much talent not to be a star in the making.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
scoutman1 said:
I have not seen Oshie much, but I have seen Cogliano play many times. Cogliano is a game breaker with his speed and scoring ability, I think Cogliano if he can get over being immature on the ice, and add some muscel and strength could be a real superstar in the making. The guy has wayyyyyyy too much talent not to be a star in the making.
Completely agree. Whether or not he works at it remains to be seen.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I have only seen each player a couple of times, but based on what I have seen I would take Oshie. (I am a Blues fan, so maybe a little bias).

But based on what I have seen (cogs in person 1 time) and the Stats, I don't think Cogs is close to Oshie at this point. For all his game breaking speed and moves (good stick skills and a 5th gear) he put up 28 points (12g) and was a -11. Granted he had 2 shorties, but still... He is very explosive, but also very inconsistent.

People say that Oshie is gritty, but he is quick and also very skilled. His stick handling is excellent, he has great vision, and soft hands. Just because you can play physical doesn't mean that you are a 3rd liner (Ovechkin). At this point his game is more developed then Cogs and I really do not feel that Cogs has the edge offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad