Confirmed with Link: TJ Brodie to TOR | 4 years 5M per

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Excellent addition to the PK.

just imagine we were giving Ceci these minutes last year...

He hasn't outplayed Rielly imo. But he sure as hell been better than Muzzin. Brodie is very quickly becoming the number 2 on this d corp.

I don’t know if this is just expectations talking, but Rielly has been our 4th best behind Brodie, Holl and Muzzin this season. I am pretty disappointed in what she’s shown so far.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Still very early but he's been good.. other than that atrocious game he had against Ottawa... But he bounced back and that's all you can ask for.. if your going to have a terrible game like that, you watch the video see your mistakes and give a better effort and that's what he did. Keep it up.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Excellent addition to the PK.

just imagine we were giving Ceci these minutes last year...

I don’t know if this is just expectations talking, but Rielly has been our 4th best behind Brodie, Holl and Muzzin this season. I am pretty disappointed in what she’s shown so far.

Yeah agreed. For me, Brodie, Holl, Muzzin, Rielly in that order. Rielly is a pretty distant 4 too.

Reactions: Critical91

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Think the Rielly-Brodie pairing will prove effective once things settle and acclimate even further. The one loss on the season thus far obviously takes its toll on their numbers. They will be the workhorse pairing of the team. Of course, Muzzin-Holl certainly aren't going to be slouches in that department.

Reactions: saffronleaf

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Been great 3/4 games.

Rielly hasnt gotten the points yet. But he and Brodie look quite good together and are getting chances/setting up players and the points should come.

Really good job by Dubas to get him. He is a very good fit for the team and gives another veteran leader (like muzzin) who can play a big role and provide leadership

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Is that how you get better though? Think of the reaction if Dubas did that? a 3rd for Schmidt is terrible asset management. Would have been much better to not have to lose in other areas to gain AP.
Just pretended he traded Schmidt for Pietrangelo and a 3rd since in essence it's the exact same thing

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I liked his first game, and really liked games 3 and 4. He’s not flashy but is a rock solid 2-way dman. It’s still early, but he looks like a very good partner for Rielly.

Reactions: BAM

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
He’s good on the PK and using his stick and body to block pucks.

He still gets beat along the boards too often but he’s a smaller defenseman so that’s to be expected.

His overall transition game is decent. Not nearly as bad as Barrie and Ceci with turnovers.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
1 terrible game against Ottawa and it seemed like an anomaly. Very steady and sound defensively. Rielly on the other hand has been terrible in his own end.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This guy's one of my favourite Flames of all time so I'm glad to see Leafs fans like him.

Was worried the media would get on his back after that Sens game.

The sens game was rough, but it was rough for about 18 players he was far from of the only one.

He's made a world of difference to the PK

Reactions: banks

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
TJ has come as advertised. He’s playing a ton of minutes with Mo and getting some tough minutes. I love his first touch of the puck, seems to pivot out of contact a lot, or simple reverse of the puck. Always seems to make the right read. Obviously there have been the odd times he hasn’t, but he’s also adjusting to a new partner and system. He’s allowed Mo to get more active in the play, which has helped either keep the puck in their end or breakout more effectively. Been really impressed so far. Quite truthfully have been pretty impressed with the defensive group in general. I think the first 2 games were a bit of a cluster, but they’ve settled in really nicely in the last 2. Hopefully it’s more of the latter than the former

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I've liked most of what I've seen so far, and we knew there would be some gaffes especially with ill advised breakout passes that get picked. But if we get 3 good games for each 1 bad I think this is a hugely welcome addition.

One thing I would like to see from him, he likes to dump the puck in along the boards when he gets over center and there's been a few times that he had a short pass to the middle to a streaking Matthews that probably would have netted a better result. I'm sure that will come with time and tape, the guy's brain obviously works.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
At the start of 2018 this team had 1 true top 4 d .... Rielly (and Rielly wasn't as good as he is now).
Now this team has 3 legit top 4 D. Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie are the standard definition of top 4.
Dermott/Holl are #5/6 types... but their legit 5/6 types not like the Marincin types who were actually #9 or #10 playing as a #6. Tavares said Liliegren (sp) was the player who surprised him the most in camp so we also have him and Sandin knocking on the door. This team has insane depth too.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeke and Auston 316

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
At the start of 2018 this team had 1 true top 4 d .... Rielly (and Rielly wasn't as good as he is now).
Now this team has 3 legit top 4 D. Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie are the standard definition of top 4.
Dermott/Holl are #5/6 types... but their legit 5/6 types not like the Marincin types who were actually #9 or #10 playing as a #6. Tavares said Liliegren (sp) was the player who surprised him the most in camp so we also have him and Sandin knocking on the door. This team has insane depth too.

Holl has been better than all of them this year, and arguably last year too.

Mar 26, 2010
Brodie is not great. I am not impressed with his play. For me, he is more like a 3rd pairing D man.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Brodie is not great. I am not impressed with his play. For me, he is more like a 3rd pairing D man.

I love these takes the best because for years everyone has called the Flames Dcorps "elite" and way better than the Leafs' dcorps, and Brodie has always been the #2/3 dman on there.

Mar 26, 2010
I love these takes the best because for years everyone has called the Flames Dcorps "elite" and way better than the Leafs' dcorps, and Brodie has always been the #2/3 dman on there.
Do you think he is a #2 D man?

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Leafs D is low key a strength now.. Strong top 4, decent 3rd pair with several options, plenty of depth, and prospects knocking on the door. What a revelation and a testament to the patience you need to have in developing these things. Hate to make it about Dubas vs Lou but what did Lou do to address that awful D? Overpay Zaitsev and blow the bank on Patrick fing Marleau.

Reactions: banks and Puckstuff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->