Proposal: Tj Brodie for Sam Reinhart

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I think one way to interpret Deen's point (I think. I hope I'm not putting words into his mouth) is more of an internal than external comment. It's more along the lines where we Flames fans shouldn't be as hard on him and perhaps stick by him rather than try to dump him.

I'd venture to guess its similar to how Buffalo fans may perhaps view and defend Oksposo?

Did I just hear you say you want to trade us for okposo?! Sure!

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Did I just hear you say you want to trade us for okposo?! Sure!

I think you'd find a few Flames fans that would be open to the idea of Oksposo, but they'd also be wary of his fit relating to the Flames internal salary cap structure in the next few years due to a few extensions that are looming as well as cost to acquire.

I don't think Buffalo and Calgary are great fits trading partner wise. But perhaps someone smarter than I would be able to figure out a trade (perhaps employing another team as a middle man) to find something that works for both orgs?

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Brodie is not a great fit in Gulutan's system, Brodie's greatest asset to both create offense and get the team out of trouble was his two-line pass, Gulutzan almost completely removed that from the Flames repertoire despite it being their #1 source of offense under Hartley. If the Flames are planning on changing coaches, they should just hold onto Brodie.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm not a huge Reinhart fan.... but..his last 40ish games earned him another season for me.

No thanks.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Brodie is not a great fit in Gulutan's system, Brodie's greatest asset to both create offense and get the team out of trouble was his two-line pass, Gulutzan almost completely removed that from the Flames repertoire despite it being their #1 source of offense under Hartley. If the Flames are planning on changing coaches, they should just hold onto Brodie.

Brodie also had a fantastic backhand, and it wasn't just a typical backhand, Brodie could reverse from his natural LHS to RHS at the speed of light and make it look effortless under Hartley.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
If brodie can't be effective because of his off ice issues, he should take a break from playing hockey and focus on them instead.
He's a professional. It is understandable that his life would be in disarray with this personal stuff, but frankly it doesn't matter when talking about trade value or on ice contribution. Brodie has been a disaster for 170+ games. If he's going to be affected still by his wife's condition next year I would rather he deal with that struggle on a different blue line. Too tired of watching him get beaten like an adopted child

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
You wouldnt be able to keep a normal job where you stop performing for two full years due to personal circumstance. They would tell you to take unpaid leave eventually and sort yourself out. Alternately they would replace you. I hope the flames do this.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If brodie can't be effective because of his off ice issues, he should take a break from playing hockey and focus on them instead.
He's a professional. It is understandable that his life would be in disarray with this personal stuff, but frankly it doesn't matter when talking about trade value or on ice contribution. Brodie has been a disaster for 170+ games. If he's going to be affected still by his wife's condition next year I would rather he deal with that struggle on a different blue line. Too tired of watching him get beaten like an adopted child

Everything after the first sentence of this post is embarrassing. You should be ashamed.

You forgot to add your first round draft pick. No interest in Okposo, his contract of his belly diving stats.

Especially at the cost or a really good prospect.

??? Kyle Oksposo at 3 mill is a very interesting contract. Especially if Buffalo is retaining 3 mill over 5 (or 6?) years. I'm not saying I'd do such a trade without thinking, but I don't think it's as awful as suggested.

I'm honestly surprised other Buffalo fans have not jumped to rescind that offer TBH.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
??? Kyle Oksposo at 3 mill is a very interesting contract. Especially if Buffalo is retaining 3 mill over 5 (or 6?) years. I'm not saying I'd do such a trade without thinking, but I don't think it's as awful as suggested.

I'm honestly surprised other Buffalo fans have not jumped to rescind that offer TBH.

Okposo is hot garbage with 5 years left on his contract. He's one dimensional and when he's not scoring he's bringing nothing to the table.

I don't think that anyone would move Andersson for him unless there's a major huge add.

Nope pass move on.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Trades Reinhart for a defensemen on a 2 year downswing, who is 2 years from UFA.... and a prospect who could also walk to UFA next year....

:facepalm:

Brodie's a guy that could come in and be a Scandella, or could look like McCabe. Then, he needs a contract at 30. No way I could trade Reinhart for him. You'd need one hell of a prospect to go with him. I'd teeter a little if they added Rasmus, but probably still decline. Even Valimaki is a risk/reward situation. The rest of there D prospects are really high risk. They may turn out to be top 4, they may turn out to be AHL material. That's one heck of a risk to trade Reinhart for.

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Not interested in trading Reinhart. Brodie is a good defenceman but for 2 years of control and he will be 30 after that. Sabres are 2 years away from making the playoffs

Not for Reinhart.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Buffalo's interest in Brodie should only be at the mid range assets level.... buying the cap space (if that's what Calgary is looking for).

Players like ROR and Reinhart shouldn't even be mentioned in a Brodie trade conversation, regardless of what prospect Calgary is willing to add.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Buffalo's interest in Brodie should only be at the mid range assets level.... buying the cap space (if that's what Calgary is looking for).

Players like ROR and Reinhart shouldn't even be mentioned in a Brodie trade conversation, regardless of what prospect Calgary is willing to add.

To me it would be how you viewed Valamaki and if you think he can live up to his potential. Potentially, he could be a great defenceman. So it would be Reinhart for Valamaki and Brodie as a sweetener. But like I said, still a huge risk on Buffalo's part and Botterill would have to be 100% convinced Valamaki's the real deal. But after it's all said and done, I don't think you could convince Botterill enough to make the trade.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
To me it would be how you viewed Valamaki and if you think he can live up to his potential. Potentially, he could be a great defenceman. So it would be Reinhart for Valamaki and Brodie as a sweetener. But like I said, still a big risk on Buffalo's part and Botterill would have to be 100% convinced Valamaki's the real deal.

Any trade in which you are giving up YEARS of team control of proven, top performing, prime aged players... for a value return largely driven by "maybes".... you are making a bad trade.

Buffalo could make a Hockey Trade: ROR or Reinhart for equivalent player type returns (ROR for Hamilton, Reinhart for Hanifin)

Buffalo should NOT make a stupid trade: ROR for a 2 years of a declining 2nd pair defensemen and a prospect.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Any trade in which you are giving up YEARS of team control of proven, top performing, prime aged players... for a value return largely driven by "maybes".... you are making a bad trade.

Buffalo could make a Hockey Trade: ROR or Reinhart for equivalent player type returns (ROR for Hamilton, Reinhart for Hanifin)

Buffalo should NOT make a stupid trade: ROR for a 2 years of a declining 2nd pair defensemen and a prospect.

Oh I agree with ya. There's to much risk / not enough reward for me. So I retract any other statements about maybe trading Reinhart for Brodie and a prospect. I'd much rather do a trade around Reinhart for Hanifin. That's the deal I want to see go down.

Last edited:

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Everything after the first sentence of this post is embarrassing. You should be ashamed.

Me be ashamed over the guy who gets paid 4 million a year to play hockey but instead plays pylon? Unlikely. I know 2 people with ms who are managing their symptoms well- their spouses still go to work every day and wouldn't be immune from the punishment that comes from abysmal performance failure. Stop treating brodie with kids gloves. 1 season would have been something but 2 straight seasons of dogshit- nah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->