TJ Appreciation Thread

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Never not going to be upset that Treliving alienated him by trying to trade him for a glorified Max Domi and then a downgrade in Barrie

Reactions: InfinityIggy

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I don't know how the Flames rebound defensively next year. Guy was and still is massively underrated.

With the contract Toronto gave him how do we not re-sign him? I'm guessing Tre would not give up the NMC which TO gave him, because he would have been picked off by Seattle next year anyway and it would suck to up-root your family unwillingly. But man, 4 years at $5 mil is such a good deal for Toronto.

I know too many dumb ass Flames fans who never liked him and still shit talk him, but the guy was one of the Flames best d-men. Guy carried Engelland in 2015 when the Flames made the playoffs. Guy was there for Gio to do his stuff during his Norris year.

He deserves a huge ovation when fans return to watch hockey from everyone at the Dome.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.webp

very sad much love Teej
good luck in Toronto

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Loved Brodie ever since I was a fan and figured it was a done deal he was coming back. Glad he's able to go to a spot that makes him happy for a good amount of money to boot. Hurts to see him go but at least it's to my second team in Toronto.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hey Flames fans, Leafs fan here. Living in the West, I have seen your games and always have liked Brodie. He really is a good player, and based on this thread, an even better person.
He is clearly a top 4 d man who can do everything, but stands out for puck moving and defensive play.
Question for you guys? Do you consider him a #2, 3 or 4 d man?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Is this really what happened, though?

However you wish to word it, Calgary failed to maintain rapport with Brodie, and lost their status as an attractive destination for Brodie despite a long history. Whether it's Treliving's pointed commentary about "the Giordano effect" or his attempt to trade Brodie last offseason or simply lowballing him, we don't know what happened. It's clear that a combination of factors initially in Treliving's control were botched though.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I could certainly be wrong.

also I’m mega pissed that the Flames didn’t re-sign him and chose frigging Tanev instead
From what I gather, it was the fact Tre didn't give him an NMC that was why he didn't re-sign here. Toronto gave him full NMC.

I'd say a #2. Mind you if you have the depth to have him as a #3, you're going to have an elite second pairing. Also, hope you guys don't try to force him to the left side, even though he's a lefty, he always seems lost on the left, but is lights out on the right.

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Brodie is a Rover. I've long made long ass posts trying to defend and understand his unique style. Brodie is a top Rover in the league and he will get a bit out of position at times. That's not fully brain fart. That's just unlucky gambles based on the rover style.

Good luck TJ. I hope they use you well and don't misunderstand and shoe horn you again.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
From what I gather, it was the fact Tre didn't give him an NMC that was why he didn't re-sign here. Toronto gave him full NMC.

I'd say a #2. Mind you if you have the depth to have him as a #3, you're going to have an elite second pairing. Also, hope you guys don't try to force him to the left side, even though he's a lefty, he always seems lost on the left, but is lights out on the right.

It’s only a full NMC in year one, then it moves to a modified NTC. They can expose him in the expansion draft if they want

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hey Flames fans, Leafs fan here. Living in the West, I have seen your games and always have liked Brodie. He really is a good player, and based on this thread, an even better person.
He is clearly a top 4 d man who can do everything, but stands out for puck moving and defensive play.

As long as he’s deployed properly and you understand what he is, he’s a #2 all day. Honestly for me, he was our top defender last season. I could see him being a #3 on teams with a lot of depth, but he’s a top pairing dman for sure. I’d say on a championship team, he’s on your 2nd pair.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Brodie is a Rover. I've long made long ass posts trying to defend and understand his unique style. Brodie is a top Rover in the league and he will get a bit out of position at times. That's not fully brain fart. That's just unlucky gambles based on the rover style.

Good luck TJ. I hope they use you well and don't misunderstand and shoe horn you again.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

He's a #2 at worst. He's probably be a #1 if he wasn't hilariously bad on the PP.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

#2 or #3 depending on depth at the D position. You guys already have your #1D, and Muzzin is a 2/3 as well. Really depends on where you slot him, but what I would do is have Brodie paired with Rielly and allow Rielly to do his thing offensively. Brodie never got enough credit for allowing Giordano to have his best ever season, which turned out to make him the Norris winner of the year. Brodie could make Rielly a Norris candidate for the next 4 years, that’s how excited Leafs fans should be.

And if he doesn’t mesh well with Rielly, there’s always a solid Muzzin to pair up with on the second pairing.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I'll echo most of the comments on this thread. TJ was drafted and developed by the Flames. We watched him grow into a man and a heck of a hockey player. He contributed to the Flames and to the City of Calgary with his charitable works. A good citizen and I am sorry to see him go. If there was one Flame I thought that might play his entire career here, it was him.

Good luck to ya TJ! I know you will do well in T.O.! Keep that crappy media at bay!

P.S. I hope the weather and the city is good for your wife Amber's condition.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
The contract he signed in Toronto is entirely reasonable and I would've preferred to see him extended than Markstrom signed.
Not dissing on TJ, just realizing he wanted to move on, and thats his choice, desire. He chose Toronto, near his former home area. I believe he signed with T.O. the same day Tre signed Markstrom, so not sure Markstrom signing forced TJ out? Later that evening, Chris Tanev was signed, aftef TJ already agreed to sign with T.O.
Yes all the best to TJ. Hope Flames don't digress without him. Lots of opportunity for Hanifin to step up and Valimaki and Kylington to grow in opportunity.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I could certainly be wrong.

also I’m mega pissed that the Flames didn’t re-sign him and chose frigging Tanev instead
Tanev was signed after TJ already signed earlier in the day. I don't want to believe Tre chose to sign Tanev totally over TJ. TJ's "camp" quietly let it be known he was actively awaiting FA signing day to what offers might be out there. I did hear earlier in the week that TJ had turned down any early resigning offers from Calgary. He wasn't going to be resigned here easily in any account, short of a huge overpay.
We have to move on and cheer our new players on. And hope for improvement in some of our prospect D growing in opportunity. Hopefully our goaltending takes a step upwards and that our D conforms around him and overall team improvement.
Farewell TJ. Hooray new Flames ( hopefully).
Now need Coach Ward to find some new lines at forward to hopefully grow in 3 strong scoring potential lines and a solid 4th line shut down/ control the pace of games. Go Flames Go!

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Brodie was the type of player you could've easily seen playing his entire career here. Before last off season, I think that was the plan. I don't think anyone can argue that the failed Kadri trade didn't napalm the bridge between Brodie and the Flames. No news of contract talks, no words from Brodie of wanting to stay, no words from Treliving until it was essentially the offseason.

That Brodie ended up in Toronto is not a coincidence, they had a need for him of course. Brodie is a Leaf though because he was spurned by our management group. His comments after signing all but confirm it.

I am happy to give Treliving the credit he is due as perhaps the best GM we've had since the 80's, but he completely bungled this situation.

I wish the guy the best, in his shoes I would've done the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad