Tire Swap

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Temperatures are getting into the mid 70's this weekend... 3rd time in the past few weeks we'll be hitting those temps already this year.

That said, I was going to have the winter wheel/tire set swapped the other day, they said they couldn't do the swap. My summers were showing some tread separation. These were near end of life, was expecting to need a new set anyway... but it just sped up the decision.

Changing to a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for the Audi on Saturday.

I've only heard good things about these tires and was actually looking forward this spring to putting a set of PS4S's on the Shelby GT500... thought the Audi would get them later.

Either way, new shoes for the Audi Saturday, the Shelby will be in line for a set in a few weeks time. ;)

Reactions: rynryn

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Just got my summers on today! Great tires.
i'll be needing new winters tho. 1/32 on the back , 2/32 on the front.

Reactions: TaLoN

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
May just be because i'm coming off my winters (which are on 17's) and going to 19's but i don't remember my conti's being this loud. the grip is friggin fantastic tho it was a little cold for their comfort this morning.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
May just be because i'm coming off my winters (which are on 17's) and going to 19's but i don't remember my conti's being this loud. the grip is friggin fantastic tho it was a little cold for their comfort this morning.
I'll let you know if I notice any noise issues with them.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Sitting in Discount tire waiting on the tire swap now...

Probably just because it was cold...didn't really notice it once the temps were warmer. i just hope these things last longer than my conti's did.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Probably just because it was cold...didn't really notice it once the temps were warmer. i just hope these things last longer than my conti's did.
These are quieter than my old Continental tires, MUCH quieter than my winter Blizzak WS80 tires.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
These are quieter than my old Continental tires, MUCH quieter than my winter Blizzak WS80 tires.
Well my winters were functionally bald so weren't that loud. :)

Felt great at 100mph yesterday. such a huge difference between winters and these. no regrets.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Well my winters were functionally bald so weren't that loud. :)

Felt great at 100mph yesterday. such a huge difference between winters and these. no regrets.
I already notice how much more grippy these are! Fantastic! The turns are sharper and more precise on these vs the Continentals I ran in the summer months previously... the Continentals felt a bit more splashy... not winter tire splashy, but not really precision either.

These are a huge upgrade in performance!

I never understood why Audi put those Continentals on as OEM tires for the S4. This swap has only reinforced that. I knew they weren't that great of a tire. These are absolutely living up to the hype though for sure thus far.

When I get the set for the Shelby, I'm also going to resize the rear tires from 285s to 295s. Increase in grip from the better tire, while also increasing the width, this will help acceleration grip immensely! Still likely to put far more power to the rear than the tires can handle on that car, but not "as" badly at least. ;)

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I already notice how much more grippy these are! Fantastic! The turns are sharper and more precise on these vs the Continentals I ran in the summer months previously... the Continentals felt a bit more splashy... not winter tire splashy, but not really precision either.

These are a huge upgrade in performance!

I never understood why Audi put those Continentals on as OEM tires for the S4. This swap has only reinforced that. I knew they weren't that great of a tire. These are absolutely living up to the hype though for sure thus far.

When I get the set for the Shelby, I'm also going to resize the rear tires from 285s to 295s. Increase in grip from the better tire, while also increasing the width, this will help acceleration grip immensely! Still likely to put far more power to the rear than the tires can handle on that car, but not "as" badly at least. ;)

Conti's were my Civic's OEM tire too, and I thought they were pretty junky. Didn't hold up very well (light, easy driving, think I got maybe 30k out of them), and replaced them with some Michelin Premier A/S' a couple years ago.

I did buy some Blizzak WS90's + wheels last fall (Tire rack), and the few times we had fresh powder, I really could tell the difference, but it usually didn't take the city/county long to plow and throw down sand. I've had them swapped out for a couple weeks though, it's just been too warm, once it started hitting the near '50s, they were out.

I really hate having a car with TPMS sensors though.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Conti's were my Civic's OEM tire too, and I thought they were pretty junky. Didn't hold up very well (light, easy driving, think I got maybe 30k out of them), and replaced them with some Michelin Premier A/S' a couple years ago.

I did buy some Blizzak WS90's + wheels last fall (Tire rack), and the few times we had fresh powder, I really could tell the difference, but it usually didn't take the city/county long to plow and throw down sand. I've had them swapped out for a couple weeks though, it's just been too warm, once it started hitting the near '50s, they were out.

I really hate having a car with TPMS sensors though.
I love TPM sensors, but I prefer the passive method on my Audi vs the active method on the Shelby.

The Shelby, the sensors are active in the tire communicating to the car. The Audi is passive, the car monitoring the profile of the tire instead.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
10 days ago, over 80 degrees, today, snowing... good thing it's all melting since the ground is so warm... but I still have to drive home from work tonight. If everything remains just wet, no bog deal... if not? Uh oh.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Just got done putting some Falken ZIEX 310 on my car today. MASSIVE improvement over the Hankooks I had on there before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->