Goalies: Tips for Maintaining Concentration

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Maintaining concentration throughout the course of the game has always been my weakness as a goaltender. Especially during regular season games or low shot games, it's always been impossible for me to stay in the game consistently.

Any tips on this? I read in the Goalie Rules of Thumb thread that playing games in 5 minute increments helps, and I've been trying that lately and it truly does. Any other advice?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This was always one of the hardest things for me way back when i played net.

My mental process was basically like:

So, unless that works for you. I don't really have much advice.

The only other thing i recall, is for a while i tried flipping my stick blade as the play shifted at the other end. ie. blade "open" when play went to the left half of the ice, "closed" or forehand down when it went to the right side. But it became more like a superstition than an actually helpful focus tool so i quit doing it.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Thanks bitturbo - I do something similar. Once the play crosses center ice I'll hit the near side post to get a feel and then come out and challenge. Helps me get on my angle and gets me into the play a little.

Any more advice? I'm in a pretty big slump right now, mainly because I'm dissecting my own game too much. I need to take my head out of it and concentrate again.

Any more tips?

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
I have a mantra that I repeat in my head when the play gets to my blue line. I say "See the puck, stop the puck" over and over. Reminds me to keep to basics, and keeps other thoughts from distracting me.

It also helps to be well rested. When I'm tired it's way harder to stay focused. Occasionally I'll have an energy drink before the game if I'm feeling a bit draggy, and it really helps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->