Beginners: Tips for Beginners

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by pass the bisk, Oct 4, 2010.

1. tooncesmeow Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I came here once before asking for tips and you guys were really helpful so I hate to be a bother but I'm going to the well once more. I started hitting the rinks and while I really enjoy defense, when Is tood in for goalie Iw as having a blast, and it was something I kind of got the hang of pretty quick. We lost, and I was probably the reason for it, but I loved being the guy in net.

I want to really step up and enhance my game for goaltending and I was wondering if anyone has good tips for goaltending, knows of any great blogs to follow, goalies to watch, fundamentals that are important, any other vital tips and if 1,000$ is enough for a set of gaolie equipment? I wanna get a set together in the near future so I can start getting into beer league or drop-in games with ease.

2. Tacks92 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Some good basic stuff here: http://www.usahockeygoaltending.com/

3. I am toxic . . . but I'm not viral

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Check out these guys.

And this one too.

4. do0glas Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  5. actionhank1786 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I've got to agree with this. One of the hardest things is maintaining your composure. It's easy to freak out when you're new (like I am). You're skating and trying to keep the puck, and you see someone on defense coming towards you. You don't think you can get around them, so you panic and start to think "I'VE GOTTA PASS IT NOW!" and before you know it, you've made that blind pass across the ice to no one...Not that I'm saying this as a recap of my last game.

Had I taken a second and realized I had plenty of time (He was maybe inside the faceoff dot, closer to the goalie than he was to me) and taken a second to look around, I would have seen that the forwards on the team weren't heading down the right side at all, but were going in the center lane...more importantly, I would have seen that one of my team mates was right behind me and I could have easily dropped it without even having to move, and it would have been right on his tape. Instead, I launched it across ice, and the girl on the other team easily scooped it out of the corner. I manged to break it up when they tried going around the boards, but at the same time, I also panicked and missed a potential situation where a pass could have been made to multiple people.

6. LeifUK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I’ve seen it done, I think it’s called an eagle stop, as you position your feet almost as per the spread eagle. It’s hard, in part because you are using outside edges, but also because you need to be very flexible. Best avoided unless you want to do free style, I doubt it has ever been done in an NHL game. :)

7. LeifUK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Good advice. Low end pads just don’t protect against falls and slap shots. I learnt the hard way.

8. Frederick Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I just checked that an eagle stop is different actually

9. SundayNiteBlackout Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Anyone have any advice on learning weak side hockey stops? I can stop full speed to my strong side, but the opposite is so foreign and I just fall over, lol.

10. LeifUK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Chris from Hockey Tutorial on YouTube has some very good advice. Study how you do it on your strong side, then replicate that on your weak side. Alternately stop on each side, taking it slow, comparing body posture, weight transfer and so on. It has taken me a year, and it’s still not as good on my weak side, but it gets better each public session when I practice.

SundayNiteBlackout likes this.
  11. EightyOne I hate to hate, and I hate that

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Man, buy used online for that. Should
    be able to get it way less than a grand.

most teams, pick up/stick times need goalies. You can find ice time to practice easy! I'd say it's like hockey in general, just get out there as much as possible. Worrying about a bunch of angles and technique isn't so important right now.

Keep your strong skate straight. Then just focus on turning your weak skate and doing a one foot plow. Try not to stop fast. Just glide with your weak foot sliding and your strong foot straight as possible as long as possible. Really feel the mechanics on your weak foot weight transfer and edge pressure.

Then, can you two foot snowplow?

If so, initiate a two foot plow (one where you aren't slowing very much), then pull your weakside skate up off the ice completely and try hard to continue a one footed slide on your strong skate only.

Then try with your weakside.

I have no idea if this is sanctioned as a good idea. But I did it last week while practicing and I feel it helped me on my strongside. I could focus on balance and edge pressure.

Then try to incorporate both feet together. I'm not good yet. I feel my hockey stops are almost one footed even when trying to use both feet. I'm getting there, though.

I'm gonna try it on my weakside more this weekend. (Relearning skating after a decade off+some rollerblading in there which was NOT helpful for ice stops lol).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  12. EightyOne I hate to hate, and I hate that

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Was able to get actual two foot hockey stops on strong side down like 90% of the time. My trailing skate just started shaving ice in the hockey stop during my last session. Nice.

Still having trouble sliding on edges to weak side. But getting there.

LeifUK likes this.