Advice: Tips for an Aspiring Disabled Hockey Coach

pmm23

Jan 17, 2016
Hi,

My name is Phil Mungai and I am from a suburb of Chicago. I have just graduated from the University of Illinois in Urbana, Illinois. I have Cerebral Palsy and as a result, I use a motorized wheelchair to get around. As such, I have no playing or coaching experience, however, I was hoping I could somehow still become certified as a coach and work my way up the ranks. I will be getting my level two CEP certification in the fall. I have been going to youth practices at my local rink and the coaches have been very helpful, but how do I go about taking the next steps towards an actual coaching role? Thanks in advance!

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I'm not too sure about the formalities, but if you haven't actually played or participated do you have the knowledge or experience to have something to contribute other than enthusiasm?

It's kind of (or ought to be) a pre-requisite for coaching, in any sport and I think at any level, regardless of how well you mean, that you bring something that your charges will benefit from. I think there's no reason why an armchair expert can't bring something useful, but I've seen novice coaches who mean well but are really way out of their depth. The people they're coaching just not learning or developing like they should be..and people hopefully coach to benefit others and not themselves.

pmm23

Jan 17, 2016
I definitely have the knowledge and the passion. I can communicate without any problem. I just need a chance and a break. I don't say any of this arrogantly, but I know I can do it. If it doesn't work out, that's fine, I just want an opportunity.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Hi,

My name is Phil Mungai and I am from a suburb of Chicago. I have just graduated from the University of Illinois in Urbana, Illinois. I have Cerebral Palsy and as a result, I use a motorized wheelchair to get around. As such, I have no playing or coaching experience, however, I was hoping I could somehow still become certified as a coach and work my way up the ranks. I will be getting my level two CEP certification in the fall. I have been going to youth practices at my local rink and the coaches have been very helpful, but how do I go about taking the next steps towards an actual coaching role? Thanks in advance!

I see from your blog that you are a sports enthusiast.

Based on personal experience, I think there is a lot that can be coached based on an understanding of certain things, and good verbal and visual (body-language) communication.
There are a couple of issues which you may have already considered. For example, in Canada there is an on-ice component to the introductory coaching certification. Would a similar requirement prevent you from being certified in your jurisdiction? If it does, that does not mean you cannot contribute, as there is a lot of “management†functions that most amateur organizations need done, and never enough people to do it all. Also, there may be ways to coach on-ice even if you can’t be officially certified – in my area, at the initiation level, adults are allowed on the ice to coach until December 1 of the season, at which point they must be certified. If you can get on the ice, you could do on-ice coaching each season for the first several months even without certification.

Finally, to move towards an actual coaching role, I would suggest contacting local associations and offering to assist with their initiation (tyke) programs (4-6 year-olds). Even better, contact the local ringette associations and offer to help. In my experience, the ringette parents are generally less fanatical than hockey parents, and require more help as fewer of the parents of ringette players tend to have played, and accordingly have a smaller pool to draw coaches from. I coach both, and have developed an extensive dryland component for our U7 and U9 ringette teams that I believe was/is more useful than equivalent time spent on-ice (plus it is free).

pmm23

Jan 17, 2016
Thank you for the suggestions. USA hockey doesn't have an on-ice component, at least not until the top level but even then, it seems to be more observational learning rather than an actual physical requirement. I have been working with Peewees at my local rink observing coaches, helping with the video sessions and the chalk talks and so on. The only thing I need help with is setting up cones, nets and tires for drills and scrimmages. I use DrillDraw and Flexxcoach to diagram drills and develop practice plans and set faceoff plays. As long as I don't have to demonstrate basic skills like skating, I can do the rest. Systems, motivation, running practices, in-game coaching seem to be fine.

Thanks again!

Tacks92

Jun 16, 2014
I know it's not apples to apples, but there are plenty of pro-level coaches with no high level hockey experience. Ken Hitchcock comes to mind. Sure, they know how to play the game, but the skills gap between a guy like Hitch and one of his players is enormous. And yet, he is an amazing coach because he knows his x's and o's, and perhaps more importantly, he knows how to motivate players ... and hire good assistants.

My high school varsity coach learned to play hockey as an adult. We twice went to the state semi-final game (in the northeast). To a man, we were all better at hockey than he was, but he studied the game, taught us things we didn't know and gd was he a good motivator. I can still here him skating behind me during windsprints banging his stick, yelling my name to get me to skate harder.

He also had a great team of assistants, guys who were amazing skaters who focused on power skating, or shooting, or whatever, and he delegated really well. My point: physical or skill limitations do not preclude you from being a good coach. You, by the very nature of your situation and perseverance seem like a natural born motivator and that's a big part of being a great coach.

I would just keep doing what you're doing. The chalk talks, videos and all that, and then see if the coaches would let you design a practice for them, even if it's hypothetical. And then after that, ask for a chance to run just 1 practice yourself with their help. And by then, see if they'll take you on as a regular assistant and take it from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad